HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:58 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Nice looking unit to Jeff.
Sorry to hear the weather is crook, hope it clears up soon.
I know the feeling - here we get strong windy conditions all thru summer & Autumn/Winter are our calmest conditions believe it or not.

Hi Lloyd,
I've actually just walked in from doing just that.
I'm going with a zero degree incidence on this one.
This is stock for the kit & plans. I measured it against the side keels & it is parallel to this.
There is something to be said for raising the LE of the tail a touch but I thought I'd go with the design for the hell of it.
If it's off, all I have for adjustment is motor downthrust or down elevator.

phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:29 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Thanks again Phil.
On my Warhawk, there's about three degrees up at the l.e. of the tail plane, but I can't see why it should'nt be o.k. with zero degrees. It's bound to need lots of trimming anyway! There again, I'm no aeronautical engineer, so do'nt take anything I say as Gospel! ( The P.40 flys o.k. though it is only stand off scale and has stability built in)
I'd go with Mr Guillow.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Last edited by Jeff Glasser; Apr 28, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:37 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Looking back at your Zero build you appear to be fitting the electrics the same way I have in my Stearman. I could only get the speed controller forward of the cockpit, hence the amount of ballast in the nose. I'm hoping that when I do get a chance to fly some of it can come out. I also have a small hatch on the underside between the lower wings for the aileron servo.

If it does'nt fly, at least I'll be able to post pictures of how it was constructed for Lone Ranger!

Jeff.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
Yorkshire - England
Joined Dec 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser

If it does'nt fly, at least I'll be able to post pictures of how it was constructed for Lone Ranger!

Jeff.
Now don't you be breaking it on my account
Lone Ranger is offline Find More Posts by Lone Ranger
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:19 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Feb 2009
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Beaver

Chris,
Not sure I understand your question - are you talking about high wing loading on these planes or high wing planes?(eg Cessna etc).

With a high wing monoplane (Cessna type) it makes little difference

With these low wing monoplanes, I haven't noticed any benefit of setting the gear lower or higher in the airframe to be honest.
Having said that, flying fighters is always an 'edge-of-the-seat' rush for me so I forgive myself for missing some of the fine points of trim.

Yep, that's what I was asking. Gonna order the servos & battery and other parts I'm missing today so I can begin to shoehorn them in there. If it doesn't make much of a difference I'll just mount them the easiest way I can find.

Wings look good, keep it up. What's the total time up to? And how much more do you project to have left?

Thanks again,
Chris
skitillz is offline Find More Posts by skitillz
Old Apr 28, 2009, 01:13 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Now don't you be breaking it on my account
Do'nt worry mate, I can do it without any outside assistance!

Jeff
Old Apr 28, 2009, 07:21 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Progress pics

A bit further down the track now, wings are joined and the front/rear locating screw guides are in.
Wing now fits tightly onto the fuselage.

Setting the tail feathers now by levelling the wings, blocking up the tailplane on two identical pieces of Angle Iron (my favourit tools for Guillow's models)

Tail plane angle to wing is measured and the tail is squared up to the wing, this done by a 500mm steel rule with +- 1mm tolerance.

Pics below show the equal progress on each model.
Kittyhawk is now up to about 31 hrs

Phil
Old Apr 28, 2009, 07:40 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Progress pics

More pics show the setup of the tail for horizontal to main wing.

Then out with the laser level with a refracted light attachment (gives a line instead of a dot).
This then gives me true vertical for the tail.
I set it so the line runs along the LE of the fin & make sure no light is visible on the sides of it.
Once set I hit it with thin CA and we're done.
The fin will be strengthened further later on with the skin laying up onto it and then sanded to contour.

Once covered with Solite, will be reasonably strong.

Phil
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Apr 28, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old May 01, 2009, 11:49 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
hurry up Phil, I'm getting withdrawel symptoms waiting for you next step.
I was rumaging around the site looking for anything Catalina related, and found another of your threads. What happened to it? By the way, loved your Ju 88.

Jeff
Old May 03, 2009, 11:10 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Progress pics

Wait no more Jeff,
The Catalina? well she's still going strong.
In fact I gave it a run last weekend at the park.
I've only tried once to ROW but without success. I learnt how to do it but by that time she was waterlogged in the wing tip area.
Basically forget scale starts - it needs WOT from the start to assist in the pitching up moment of full throttle. When the lake fills again, I'll try again - probably October.

On the P-40,
The tail went on without a problem & here is the start of the sheeting now.
Using soft grade 1.0mm balsa & cutting it with the grain pointing toward the bottom of the fuselage keel, it just wraps over the frame like paper.
I cut the wood to shape but a touch oversize, then hit it with a drop of thin CA to hold it in place, then trim to fit, then CA it down all round.

So now the Zeke & P-40 are at the same point in the line & while I have the P-40 out I'll finish the sheeting off.
Should be some good ptogress this week.

Phil
Old May 03, 2009, 11:56 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Feb 2009
25 Posts
Phil you make this look way too easy. I ordered some hopefully decent balsa and CA for sheeting, hopefully I can get it to work half as well as yours does.

The wing bolts are those wood screws, or are there nuts glued inside somewhere? That brass tube is very clever by the way, no way would I have thought of doing that before ruining a bunch of balsa. Also, might be kind of early since I didn't see a mention that you had decided on what motor you're gonna throw in there but what do you do for a motor mount?

Thanks,
Chris
skitillz is offline Find More Posts by skitillz
Old May 04, 2009, 09:12 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Ahhh,thats better. Thanks Phil.

You're making me want to buy either a Zero or P.40, I'll try and hang on untill I've succesfully ( I hope) flown the Stearman.

Keep up the excellent build mate.

Jeff.
Old May 04, 2009, 06:40 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Cheers guys,
Chris,
I'm using a blind nut inside the fuselage monted in a spruce bearer.
It has a wide flat face where the tube makes contact with it and at the other end is the screws head.
So it's a metal-to-metal joint, you just cut the tube to length to ensure with wing is a snug fit.
I'll take a close-up for you when I get hold of the wifes camera which has a macro feature.

phil
Old May 05, 2009, 09:32 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Progress pics

More progress last night.
Fuselage is nearly done now. Just the hatch to go.
Then on to the Zero to bring it up to the same point.

Motors I'm looking at are a couple of these from Hobby King
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5428 - had them as spares in the spare motors box.
Looks OK to swing a 7x4 on 2S at about 9-10 Amps.
I'll trial one & see how it feels.
If it's marginal, I'll finish the planes to run on a 3s 1000 ma/hr (have a few of them for my racing planes) and see then what weight motor is required to balance them.
Rather than add lead, I'll try to get a heavier motor that that swings an APC 7x4SF prop.
A Tower-Pro BP2408-21 is designed for a GWS 8040 at 10 amps. So would be ideal. I have this setup in my 31" span Yak 3 (see my Blog) and it really carves up the sky - very economically too.
If not, I'll go for a bigger, heavier turnigy motor.

I found a spinner that is almost identical in size & shape to the Guillow's one so I won't have to fabricate a scale spinner.
Can't remember where it was from but when I do, I'll post it here so others can get it too. It literally drops onto the vacformed one in the kit - same shape, same length, just 1mm narrower across the base.

Phil
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; May 05, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:30 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Progress pics

Progress is going well so far on the Hawk,
Fitting the motor tonight & setting the down+right thrust.
No measurements here, just a guesstimation of a couple of degrees.

The radiator holes are cut out, the rear vent (cowlflaps) have 3 holes installed & the exhaust stubs are functional.
Holes drilled in these & thru the wood as well will provide lots of coong for the ESC & battery.
Not that it'll need it, the ESC is 18 amp 7 the batteries I'll use are 30C
Motor only draws 10.3 amps @ WOT with the APC 7x4SF prop.
Plenty of revs & feels like it will pull quite well.
I'd expect 10 minute flights with this set-up.
fingers crossed...

Phil