Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:27 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Build Log
Guillow's P-40 Kittyhawk Conversion

Hi all,
Here is my build log on the P-40 Kittyhawk.
I'm building this in tandem with a Guillow's A6M2 Zero of the same series.
These will be relatively quick builds as I'm going for the park flyer fun factor rather than a highly detailed scale object.

Anyhow, one of the things I've heard about this model is wing incidence problems.
So instead of sanding it out later, I'll build it with the modification built in.
Basically as you see in the photo's the keel section will be lowered.
The formers will be re-notched to accept this change which is easy to do.
Later, the side saddles will be lowered to match.

The drawing shows a pencil line which is zero degrees - parallel to the horiz stabiliser. This is datum & where everything is calculated from.

I'm timing myself on this one too so will have both ready for maiden on the same day...hopefully.

It will be 3s 1000ma/hr Lipo with A/E/T only, using whatever motor I can find in the shed that will suit.
I have quite a few & plan to use the same type in both this & the Zero, just to see who has the better flying design.

Day Log hrs 0.5
Total log hrs 0.5

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2009, 07:56 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Phil ,

Good to see you starting on this one . I have had this kit for some time now and have held off on building it ...then along came Jeff Bosleys P40 which filled the void nicely .

I have thought about a 10g outrunner for mine seeing how the P40 can be typically nose heavy

Keeping an eye out for more progress

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:50 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Go Phil go! let's just not end up with a KittyZero . Look forward to this one. I think the next time I have a go at this kit I will start fresh.

Like fuzz said can you fly them both at the same time? That would be cool.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Apr 04, 2009, 10:34 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,420 Posts
phil, i'm with you on this one too! (i really love these guillows kits ). how do you plan the cover the frames on these two models? seems like dope and silkspan have gone by the wayside. if (when) i get my guillows sopwith conversion going i plan on using silkspan......for the scale appearence and because i really enjoy working with that covering method.

i too had this kit years ago. i started the build, and even bought a new norvel .061 for it (was planning cl again). things then got hectic (arrival of our twins, a new job and a move).....and the kit did not survive. i think i had all of the frames built, and was at the covering and assembly stage.

the p40 has always been a favorite of mine, i just bought the phase 3 foamy (with retracts) and really like how it flys. looking forward to this build along with the zero!

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Apr 04, 2009, 05:44 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Progress Pics

Some progress last night.
Framed up now as far as it needs for the sheeting to be effective.
As usual, I've omitted the stringers and replaced them with 1/8" in more useful locations.
Having a Dremel with a 2mm dia. tungsten bit makes slotting the formers a piece of cake.
I don't normally bother to cut out all the former notches for stringers, just the keel ones.
Makes building much quicker.
This kit had a soft & a hard sheet of the mating former parts so I alternated them on each side.

The battery hatch on this model will basically be the 'hood' of the engine - a removable one from B1 to B5.
Wing will be removable as per typical models like this.
Wing saddles also set to reduced angles now.

Phil
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Apr 05, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:36 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Hmmm. Got me some ideas now. I started to convert the Guillow's spit but that fell through. I have this kit on the shelf to build in parallel with my son who is building the Hurricane ( I will be teaching to build balsa/tissue models). Keep it going, I will be watching with interest.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:04 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Ah yes old stick & tissue. Last open frame tissue job I did was 1998 on a Guillow's Rufe.
Excellent skills though to acquire.
I've now become a fan of Solite and can do it much quicker than tissue/dope by a long way.

Anyhow had a couple more hours today on the P-40.
Got the hatch put in, the battery tray and the elevator servo.
I put the elev servo there for access as inverted under the cockpit looked like it might not fit.
As it turned out the Waypoint servo fixing lug spacing was exactly the gap spacing of B4 & B5.

OK so now it's time to go back to the Zero & do the hatch, battery tray & servo too.

It's all going quite well so far with no major snags....yet.

Day Log hrs 6.5
Total log hrs 7.0

Phil
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Apr 06, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:11 PM
Yorkshire - England
Joined Dec 2007
113 Posts
Looking good, thinking of doing a guillows corsair so watching with interest for any tips
Lone Ranger is offline Find More Posts by Lone Ranger
Old Apr 06, 2009, 05:19 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,185 Posts
Looking good Phil. This should be a piece of cake after your pby, b-17 and b-24 conversions! I look forward to watching your progress.

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:19 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
G'day guys.

Lone Ranger, have a look here - Mark is doing a Corsair right now. Only a few days old now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post11970236

Alex,
Yep - these seem extremely easy to do. i think this is why i challenged myself to do two at a time

Phil
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:35 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,803 Posts
i did an old guillows Me-109 but decied no to go RC at the last min.

the build was nice but i need some advice on paints. currently i am working on a V-1 and want to get it juat right so the 109 was a practice
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Apr 07, 2009, 05:42 AM
Yorkshire - England
Joined Dec 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Beaver

Lone Ranger, have a look here - Mark is doing a Corsair right now. Only a few days old now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post11970236

Phil
Thanks for that Smokin' just what I need, been building since I was a kid but relativly new to electric so it will be great help. Trouble is now I've looked at the thread I need to build Corsir, P40, Stuka, Chipmonk ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Lone Ranger is offline Find More Posts by Lone Ranger
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:49 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
No prolemo - my pleasure!
Yeah, it's like that isn't it.
I'm a certified victim alright.

One day I should take a pic with me & all my finished Guillow's & all the Guillow's kits I've hoarded as well.

Phil
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:36 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Lone Ranger,
Glad to see you are thinking about the Corsair. I am no expert but always open to new ways of doing things. Start a thread if you decide to build it. The 1000 series seem to be good conversions.

Phil,
You are going to need a wide angle lens for all your conversions! Keep up the good work.

Just a thought on the battery placement with the P-40. Mine ended up aft of the cockpit area. I was a bit surprised that it was nose heavy, Then again I was using a 2 Oz. outrunner. Hope this helps.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:25 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Hi Mark,
Interesting, sounds about the weight of a sp400.
The 2 motors I found in my spares box are 2000kv outrunners - actually these little numbers from Hobby King;
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5428
I put one on the bench with a GWS 7035 on 3S and it drew about 150 watts!
the motor started missing at WOT so clearly it was overtaxed. heh heh
So then I went to a 2S and it drew about 65Watts at 12200 rpm.
Seemed to have good pull but I'll probably go to an APC 7x4 SF to give me a bit more pitch speed for another 2 amps.
I actually wanted to use 3S 1000ma/hr packs like I do for my other ~30+" span warbirds but I would have to buy new motors.
At present, I'm modifying my old u/s 3s 1200 packs down to 2S packs to use in these two planes.
I have a few old packs, each with a dud cell I planned on re-assembling into a couple of good packs but this will do nicely.
When they pack up altogether, I'll lash out the $6.50 and buy some new 2S 1200's

Anyhow,
Onwards & upwards - we'll see how they go when we get there, they may all end up back in the spares box if the airframe comes in too heavy.
At present, I'm getting the Zero to the same point as this airframe.

phil