SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by BlueFFF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:44 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
hadydodo,

It's hard to say what the problem is without more info. How much does it weight? It looks like you may have built your plane with the paper on the foam and that can add a considerable amount of weight. I would try to learn to fly the plane first without the airlerons, just start with RET until you can get stable flights out of it. Also try some engine off glide tests to get your center of gravity right. If you can't get it to glide you will have a difficult time flying the plane.
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2013, 01:11 PM
Nuneaton
Joined Aug 2009
256 Posts
I find myself starting to build this plane again as if you look in earlier posts i did build it sadly i made way in my hangar for other models but this time im going to build it with airlerons and im going to run a carbon tube down the centre as well
Paulnuneaton is offline Find More Posts by Paulnuneaton
Old May 24, 2013, 08:33 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Paul,

I read back thru your posts and your last plane looked great. I just think your components were not right. I did not see any posts of your actual flights, but from your last post I'm guessing it did not go well. Just go by the plan and keep things light and use the recommended components and you should have better luck. Your plane building skills looked very good from the first model, so I am sure you will have better luck this time.

BlueFFF
Old May 25, 2013, 01:36 AM
Nuneaton
Joined Aug 2009
256 Posts
blue if flew brilliant mate was a bit tail heavey but we sorted that then flew a total dream.

I found the rear fuse to be a weak point as it developed a crack after a few landings but again was a great flyer a great trainer so the plans have been re run off the printer and the depron is sitting begging to be cut will keep you posted sorry for the delay in loading up the flight pictures
Old May 26, 2013, 04:05 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Cool! I am glad it flew well for you. Looks great in the air!
Old May 28, 2013, 09:10 AM
Nuneaton
Joined Aug 2009
256 Posts
Cheers Blue im going to run two carbon spars down the inside of the fuse near the rear buddy to stop any flex and those hard landings, like i say i had a crack appear in the rear of the fuse going to sink the servos into the wings for airlerons
then this will be a super trainer just got to figure a better under carrige as well any thoughts please guys
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
...and one from Serbia

This model is ready for maiden but it's windy these days.
BlueFFF thanks for greate plans.
vrabac is offline Find More Posts by vrabac
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
681 Posts
Ready for maiden

Finished mine from parts in stock from old models. I built it out new 9 mm EPP foam and blue core. I used a Axi 2217/20 motor, Turnigy 25 amp ESC, 4 sevos from a worn out Parkzone Corsair. Wheels from the Corsair and landing gear from ? Receiver from wrecked Formosa. I went with the flat KFM3 for the main wing and a flat plate for horizontal stabilizer. At least I now have park flyer, it seems awfully short coupled, but time will tell.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Oct 06, 2013, 10:38 AM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Apr 2013
28 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the plans! It's a very nice solid build.

I used dollar tree foam, paper on, with a E-Max CF2822 and a 1300mAh lipo for a 8x3.8 prop. I used dual aileron servos (for flaps) and that really helps slow the plane down yet it easily zoomed out of a couple botched landing attempts.

With the paper on, it's a bit heavier of course, but it's sturdy with no reinforcements.

Things I learned: I forgot to add the down & right thrust and every power change requires some correction trim. I also forgot to run the pushrods through the fuse to the tail, so I ran them externally in small straws. Works fine, just not pretty.

I'll try to get some video next time I go out.
ZeroAGL is offline Find More Posts by ZeroAGL
Old Oct 07, 2013, 05:11 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Apr 2013
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroAGL View Post
I'll try to get some video next time I go out.
Update - Here's some video from today, the wind kicked up a bit but otherwise a good day of flying.

RC Airplane - BB J3 Cub - Dollar Tree Foamie - RCGroups (0 min 47 sec)
ZeroAGL is offline Find More Posts by ZeroAGL
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:51 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
681 Posts
New Wing

I really like this plane and it is not short coupled. I had a old Hobbyzone Super Cub wing a buddy gave me and I put ailerons on it and put in a 4 mm carbon rod so I did not need struts. It is a few ounces lighter than the KFM wing and less wing area. I switched back and forth and finally decided on the Hobbyzone wing. It does not float as well but turns better, and does not require so much up elevator to turn. It is 3 inches shorter in chord and few inches longer in wingspan. The ailerons are 12 X 1.25 inches and are a little small. I have setup Flaperons on them and have not flown yet with the flaps. I changed the motor to a 480 and it is a bit much for it. I had a tired 450 that was too small that came off my glider. I had to add one ounce of weight up front to balance so I thought when I bought a motor for the cub why not get something that I don't need to add dead weight. Well now with the bigger motor I needed a bigger ESC, battery, and a litter bigger mount. This added about 2 ounces and it did affect the flight characteristics but not that much. If I had to do over I would really watch the weight in the rear and stick with the 450 size setup.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Jan 11, 2014, 06:04 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Nov 2013
4 Posts
I've been out of the hobby for a while but thought I'd build one of these to push myself back into it... so far so good imho.

Shortly after cutting most of the pieces out.

After a quick coat of krylon sun yellow spray paint. Talk about dead on color.

Ran out of paint so it looks a bit goofy but I'll finish the painting once it's complete.
manstrom is offline Find More Posts by manstrom
Last edited by manstrom; Jan 17, 2014 at 02:56 PM.