HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BlueFFF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:20 PM
where did my wings go?
livingston, tx
Joined Jun 2009
103 Posts
how well does the coat hanger l/g hold up on less than perfect landings?
estlin76 is offline Find More Posts by estlin76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:59 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
I switched to the coat hanger from a lighter guage wire that just was not holding up. The coat hanger works fairly well, but I have bent it. My landing gear is removable, so I can rebend it straight without any difficulty. After bending it to shape I cut a piece of paint stir stick to the width in between the top of the gear where the wire is squared off to fit into the fuse slot. I then used a small amount of hot glue to hold it in place between the wire. I then used epoxy to glue the wire to the stir stick and wraped that with reinforced packing tape making it a permenent part of the landing gear. There is also a piece of bamboo scewer glued across the bottom of the paint stir stick to keep the landing gear from getting shoved to far into the fuse. After the rest of the fuse is finished you just shove the gear into the slot in the fuse. I will take a couple of pics and post them for you.

BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Last edited by BlueFFF; Jul 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:33 PM
where did my wings go?
livingston, tx
Joined Jun 2009
103 Posts
Well here she is so far, got to install the electrics and add a few more details. This has been a real fun build so far, I hope to maiden her this weekend if the weather holds out. This is the first KFM wing i have tried, built it with the 2" dihedral joiner and no ailerons ( not that good @ flying yet!). Thank you FFF for the tips and info !

Shawn.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:29 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
estlin76,
Looks great! Nice paint job. I hope weather is calm and your maiden flight is smooth. Let me know how it goes. I think you'll like the KFM wing.

BlueFFF
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:05 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
estlin76,
Did you ever get your gear in your J3 Cub and get it flying?

BlueFFF
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:22 PM
where did my wings go?
livingston, tx
Joined Jun 2009
103 Posts
actually, yes but i got called on a job in joliet north dakota, so i packed it up and brought it with me. the wind was calm today after work, so i got out and finaly got to maiden it..... MAN what a great flyer!!!!!! either my flying skills have perfected (not likely) or this thing is just born to fly. i took off with about ten skeptical pipeliners watching, and she impressed all. with that kfm wing, it outflies my bb42 hands down. i am going to try to get some video and post it for all to see, thanks a million for the plans, she is truely a great lil bird!!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 02:24 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Thats great estlin76!

I'm glad she flies well for you. I know I love the way min flies. Can't wait to see your video.

What type of wing do have on your BB42?

BlueFFF
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:08 PM
where did my wings go?
livingston, tx
Joined Jun 2009
103 Posts
I've got yhe uc wing, but as soon as i find a place to buy material up here, i am going to build a kfm for it and i think i am going to build an aleron wing for my j3 as she flies so well that i feel comfortable trying on it.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2009
63 Posts
Here is a link to the pictures of the progress of my BB J3 Cub . I can't wait to get some paint on it so it's not pink anymore. I just noticed tonight that the second step on the wings doesn't line up.... D'oh! I don't know how that happened, or how I missed it. It's staying that way for now...

I used hot glue for most of the fuselage assembly. The rudder is attached with toothpicks and gorilla glue. The vertical stabilizer is attached with just gorilla glue.

For the wings, I folded over the foam to create the leading edge. Very good results. I steamed bamboo skewers to make them the correct angle for the dihedral, then notched out the bottom of the wings and gorilla glued them in place. I covered them with packing tape until the glue dried and removed it.

Tonight I glued paint sticks into the fuselage to support the wings and to have a place to anchor the skewers to for the wing rubber bands.

I think I'm going to install the power system (after I save up my pennies and buyt it), then remove it, paint, then reinstall.

I think the total cost so far, is about $8!!!

Thanks again BlueFFF for the plans and the tips!

This plane is going to be my wife's aileron trainer. Right now she has a Wild Hawk that is Rudder/Elevator. Can't wait to see how it flies!

What have you guys done for the rudder hinges? I have it packing taped now, but I don't like it...
4n6days is offline Find More Posts by 4n6days
Last edited by 4n6days; Sep 08, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 12:18 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
4n6days,

Looks great so far! I normally use regular old scotch tape for my hinges, but I know others use various different methods. I bevel the edges and then press the edges together with the flat side up and apply the tape. Then flip it over and do the other side in the bevel. After that I just flex the surfaces a few times to make sure they move freely. I do suggest you run the tape along the entire hinge joint without breaks and then run a small short strip in the other direction at the ends of each strip to prevent the long strip from tearing at the end edge (the last step is not needed with the reinforced tape like your using).

Check the tips and tricks treads at the top of the scratch build forum for other suggestions.

Here are the pics of the inside of my BB J3 Cub you asked for. Hope they help.

BlueFFF
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:53 PM
where did my wings go?
livingston, tx
Joined Jun 2009
103 Posts
Just wanted to let ya know my cub is still flying, shes flown in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Canada, Oklahoma, and finally Texas. Shes hit the groud hard a time or two but always come back from the dead! This is still my favorite plane to fly even though i have graduated to aileron planes. Thanks again for this version and Tony for the original babyblue! I learned alot from this lil plane and hope many more build one and enjoy it like I have !! Im thinking its time to start on another one soon.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:16 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
estlin76,

Boy that Cub of yours really gets around. I'm glad you've enjoyed it so much. Did you add ailerons to your Cub or is it still RET? She still looks good.

The weather has been so bad this winter that I have not flown my Cub in months, so instead I've been building when ever I get the chance. I have a new design for a Guppy Pusher Bipe almost ready to fly, so please ask the weather gods to grace us with some warmer dryer weather.

It's good to hear from you, I wonder what ever happened to 4n6days Cub?

BlueFFF
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:43 AM
where did my wings go?
livingston, tx
Joined Jun 2009
103 Posts
yeah, shes seen some country, been broke in half twice and fixed. i did add the ailerons, she flew great even with the dehidral wing but i hardly use em on her. i just love the simplicity of this plane with RET. yesterday was the first nice day since ive been back from north dakota so i took full advantage of it and flew both my planes . are you gonna post some pics of this new guppy? got my curiosity up!! hopfully 4n6 has had some fun with his, i kno i have enjoyed mine.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:18 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
estlin76,

I have a build thread going for the Guppy. I stuck with most of the same gear in the J3 Cub except for the servos which are 5 grams. The Guppy Pusher Bipe is the first in a series of planes I plan on making. The thread shows the rest. The Pusher Bipe version is my first bi-plane and since it is a pusher I am hoping it will make a nice trainer type flier. The prop is well protected from any crash.

Here is the link, so take a look!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187685

BlueFFF
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:20 PM
Balsa taste like chicken!
USA, MS, Columbus
Joined Jun 2006
490 Posts
I gotta build one of these outta Depron! FFF glows with Led's, but depron would be better. I'll post a video later.
03-05-10_1848.3g2 (0 min 12 sec)
A74Charger is offline Find More Posts by A74Charger
Last edited by A74Charger; Mar 05, 2010 at 09:35 PM.