SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2011, 02:36 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Your location in the world plays a big part in it. If I lived in the USA, I would probably fly E-Flite.

Living in Australia, not only do I have to pay a hefty premium to fly E-Flite (over $300 to get started with an MSR for example), I do not receive the same product support from Horizon as US folk do.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
157 Posts
Freedom of speech?
Iceblade1A is offline Find More Posts by Iceblade1A
Last edited by Iceblade1A; May 13, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:06 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Your location in the world plays a big part in it. If I lived in the USA, I would probably fly E-Flite.

Living in Australia, not only do I have to pay a hefty premium to fly E-Flite (over $300 to get started with an MSR for example), I do not receive the same product support from Horizon as US folk do.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Most of the RC items I have bought were because of local support. From what I have seen and read Walkera is a good product but support/parts are limited in USA.
The other factor is what radio you have if Walkera would bind to my Dx6i I would already have a Walkera. The cost of another radio has held me back.
When you learn how cheap the clones produced, and sold (even with shipping) you realize. YOU PAY DEARLY FOR THE SUPPORT IN ADVANCE for local support.
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old May 11, 2011, 07:22 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I agree. I think a big part of E-Flite pricing is to cover support. This includes their willingness to send out free parts in appropriate circumstances, but also trickles down to things like well presented and well written manuals. Another factor that adds to the price is advertising, E-Flite spend a lot of money on this and in one way or another, guess who pays for all that fancy advertising - the consumer.

Though, what happens if you don't require any support? What happens if you receive a product that works as intended? On one hand, you've paid the cost to rectify someone else's potential faulty product. On the other hand, it's like a form of insurance, you've made sure that E-Flite have the funding and inclination to assist you in the future should you purchase more of their products.

That I am fine with, however the inflated pricing on E-Flite helis in Australia is not due to having to pay extra for support, it comes down to greed. On top of this, not only are Australians paying more for E-Flite helis, we receive minimal support, unless it's given to us by the place of purchase.

At the end of the day, I can get more for my money with Walkera than I can E-Flite. The cheapest way for me to buy an E-Flite heli is to buy internationally, but then I can buy Walkera internationally for a better price, with cheaper spares and the same level of support if I choose a reputable vendor.

The other thing that I had to consider was the transmitter scenario. Being new to the hobby, I didn't already own a Spektrum radio. E-Flite is the only company that I could buy helis from to use this radio with (not interested in planes or cars or larger kit form helis), and they only have 3 models of potential interest to me. On the other hand, the Walkera TX has all the functions I need and will operate their entire 4 channel range of helis, of which I have about 50 to pick from. If I decide to invest in the 2801, then I can fly their entire range of helis.

The E-Flite RTF transmitters are very basic in contrast, and in some cases do not work with other E-Flite helicopters. In fact, recently I posted in a thread here trying to help out a guy with an SR who wanted to use the RTF SR TX with an MSR. You need to use a series of dip switches to reverse channels, and look up what each switch does in documentation (and to my knowledge we still don't know if it will work with the MSR), where on my Walkera TX I have an LCD display and can reverse a channel at the press of a button, and I know exactly what channel I'm working on without memorising a reference sheet.

I've only had one defective part on a Walkera heli, and this was replaced by the vendor free of charge - problem solved and I didn't have to pay a premium in the price for this support. My CB100 tail motor is still going strong, despite suggestions that Walkera brushless motors don't last as long as E-Flite brushed motors, whilst my friend has burnt through 3 MSR tail motors in a shorter time span of owning it.

So yeah, in my experience Walkera has been good to me, that's why I like them. Is that so hard to understand?
Old May 11, 2011, 10:46 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
E-Flite has done a horrible job of making people understand the whole radio thing. They aren't unique in the area of incompatible radios - you can't use your Walkera radio with anything else, except in the same way that you might use a Spek radio for something non-Horizon. Your post is very informative - what I see there is one really good reason to avoid E-Flite stuff when you are starting out if you live in Australia, and a whole bunch of things which are basically equal between the two brands, but your perception is that they are not. It makes me wonder if the marketing department screwed up, or if it's just so hard to figure out that ending up with skewed perspectives becomes very likely.

What I'm saying is a lot of the stuff you pointed out as an advantage really isn't - the situation is the same for both brands, but somehow you've gotten the impression that it isn't. I find that very interesting.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 11, 2011, 11:07 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
What I'm saying is a lot of the stuff you pointed out as an advantage really isn't - the situation is the same for both brands, but somehow you've gotten the impression that it isn't. I find that very interesting.
Could you be more specific?

My main point of comparison is between an MSR and a CB100. In terms of cost including spare parts, performance and overall durability, the CB100 has been the victor. This is only an isolated comparison though, between one of each heli, and I base it on the fact that the MSR is on its second PCB, third tail motor and two batteries no longer hold a charge. On top of this, the MSR has had many more parts replaced including tail boom, canopy and skids. My CB100 is on all original electronics, original batteries, and has only had one set of skids and one tail boom replaced. Add to this that I prefer the flying characteristics of the CB100, which I concede is a matter of personal taste, and I can't see how the $230 MSR is a better option than a $150 CB100 (these were the prices at time of purchase).
Old May 11, 2011, 12:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Well, your experience with the mSR is common, but I'm not sure why. Mine has been flying fine on all the original parts except I put the glow blades on it, since whenever it was released. I take it to model shows and stuff, throw it in the car and take to the office, etc... but I do not crash it. So, I always wonder if the trouble people are having is really just damage they have done, or if it's some kind of design flaw. I would expect my mSR to have similar issues if it was a design problem. I know that people have trouble with the mSR, but I wonder how many people have trouble with it when they fly it like I do - that is, not into walls. What I was talking about was more about the radio thing though - with either brand, you're put into a radio that isn't going to have much future, isn't compatible with other brands, and is low quality in general.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
What I was talking about was more about the radio thing though - with either brand, you're put into a radio that isn't going to have much future, isn't compatible with other brands, and is low quality in general.
Very true.

Look at it this way though, to someone just starting out in the hobby not wishing to initially part with a lot of cash, especially not knowing if it will be a long term interest, it doesn't make much sense to buy a $300 TX.

So, you start looking at basic RTF packages like the MSR, CB100, Solo Pro etc. I look at the TX in the RTF MSR versus the ones from the CB100 and Solo Pro, and although they all lock you into one particular brand and are of low quality, relatively speaking, the ones from the CB100 and Solo Pro offer many more features and are actually a similar price or cheaper to purchase separately than the MLP4DSM. Additionally, the TX's from Nine Eagles and Walkera are fully compatible with every other helicopter in that given brand.

If one sticks with the hobby and eventually grows into the larger kit form CP helicopters, at this point you can spend the dollars on a nice high quality TX that will serve you well.

Given the generally low pricing on brands such as Walkera and Nine Eagles, it doesn't seem to bother people that they are getting a TX that is brand specific. Furthermore, it's hard to ignore the fact that you pay less and receive a better TX than what is included in an RTF E-Flite heli.

I think a majority of happy E-Flite owners would have owned a Spektrum or compatible TX previously from perhaps larger helis or another RC hobby. For people in this category, E-Flite definitely makes a lot of sense.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Yeah you get screwed either way, unless you want to spend $500 right up front. However, that's less than the entry-level cost used to be.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:31 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
I was seriously thinking of getting a 2801 and selling my DX6i but when the $8 clone TX came out I decided to keep it. It is sort of funny that it was clone that kept me from bailing on spectrum. $49.99 for original to $7 clone, tell me it is just advertizing.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:37 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
I was seriously thinking of getting a 2801 and selling my DX6i but when the $8 clone TX came out I decided to keep it. It is sort of funny that it was clone that kept me from bailing on spectrum. $49.99 for original to $7 clone, tell me it is just advertizing.

And where does one buy this 8 buck DSM2 TX at? I know where to get nice 5 buck RX's.. But haven't seen the 8 buck TX yet.. Ans why would you even want one if you have a DX6i already??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old May 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
And where does one buy this 8 buck DSM2 TX at? I know where to get nice 5 buck RX's.. But haven't seen the 8 buck TX yet.. Ans why would you even want one if you have a DX6i already??
I had bought 2 from Hobby King but I donít see them Now!
Where are you getting $5 ones?
Wait: send PM, big brother is watching and shutting down sources so they can continue to price gouge.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:05 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
I had bought 2 from Hobby King but I don’t see them Now!
Where are you getting $5 ones?
Wait: send PM, big brother is watching and shutting down sources so they can continue to price gouge.
You got two TX's from HobbyKing,,, how the heck did I miss them? Were they 6 channel ones?? I can see how they can get away with cloning a RX but I thought for sure doing a TX would get them in hot water.. Would be a perfect leave in the truck TX.. I hate leaving one of my DX6i's in the truck..

The 5 buck sale is over..$4.99 6Ch OrangeRx DSM2 Receiver Sale! *Sale ends 11pm GMT 5/9/11
Old May 12, 2011, 05:00 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
You got two TX's from HobbyKing,,, how the heck did I miss them? Were they 6 channel ones?? I can see how they can get away with cloning a RX but I thought for sure doing a TX would get them in hot water.. Would be a perfect leave in the truck TX.. I hate leaving one of my DX6i's in the truck..

The 5 buck sale is over..$4.99 6Ch OrangeRx DSM2 Receiver Sale! *Sale ends 11pm GMT 5/9/11
I am sorry brain not working I meant RX, SORRY FOR TYPO.

I donít see the Orange Rx DSM2 Receiver listed anymore!
I also donít see the version I bought that was sold without the case that you needed to add your own heat shrink.
Removed from my wish list and donít see listed.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
I am sorry brain not working I meant RX, SORRY FOR TYPO.

I donít see the Orange Rx DSM2 Receiver listed anymore!
I also donít see the version I bought that was sold without the case that you needed to add your own heat shrink.
Removed from my wish list and donít see listed.
I thought it was to good to be true.... a DSM2 TX for 8 bucks..

Here is the Orange RX... But now it's 8 bucks..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11965