Closed Thread
Old Apr 01, 2009, 09:45 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Contest
UAV Challenge Outback Rescue 2009 - Official Thread

The UAV Challenge Outback Rescue 2009 rules have been posted and the website updated for 2009. http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.au

Airborne Delivery Challenge Rules
http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.a...e/airborne.htm

Search and Rescue Challenge Rule
http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.a...archrescue.htm

Note: please read the rule documents thoroughly as some rules have changed for 2009.

This thread can be used for discussion of the challenge and will be monitored by the technical committee with generic answers being provided here, more specific questions should be directed to the technical committee via http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.a...lenge/contact/

If your team has a website you would like to share you can post it here also.

Good luck to all teams

Mick Molloy.
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2009, 11:40 PM
ios
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
327 Posts
5.2 Piloting Proficiency

UAV controller must be MAAA bronze-wing standard or equivalent. The onus of proof is on the UAV Controller and he/she may be asked to demonstrate their proficiency at the competition before they are allowed to fly a mission.

This is certainly a welcome new rule that will increase safety - too many people without any r/c experience want to get into UAVs without the basic competencies to fly an r/c plane - and thats just a recipe for failure.

However, I think its funny that MAAA bronze-wing standard is applicable given that MAAA members arn't allowed to fly autonomous planes!

What other equivalent standard can be used instead of MAAA bronze-wings?
ios is offline Find More Posts by ios
Old Apr 02, 2009, 12:46 AM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ios
5.2 Piloting Proficiency

UAV controller must be MAAA bronze-wing standard or equivalent. The onus of proof is on the UAV Controller and he/she may be asked to demonstrate their proficiency at the competition before they are allowed to fly a mission.

This is certainly a welcome new rule that will increase safety - too many people without any r/c experience want to get into UAVs without the basic competencies to fly an r/c plane - and thats just a recipe for failure.

However, I think its funny that MAAA bronze-wing standard is applicable given that MAAA members arn't allowed to fly autonomous planes!

What other equivalent standard can be used instead of MAAA bronze-wings?
Ios, et al

If a pilot presents evidence of Bronze Wing flight competency (in form of a certificate, or endorsement in their licence) or an overseas equivalent, then the officials will not require a competency demonstration flight.

If the pilot does not have the MAAA Bronze Wing standard certification type or an overseas equivalent, they will be asked to perform a flight (as they were in 2007 and 2008) and the Challenge officials will determine if they are of the required standard.

The officials will use the MAAA Bronze Wings standard as their judging criteria during the competency demonstration flight.

The equivalent statement is refering the another countries wings precedures e.g. BMFA A licence or FAI licences.

MAAA Wings Links
Power Bronze Wings

Helicopter Bronze Wings
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:15 PM
dub dub dub dot ausuav dot com
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Feb 2005
183 Posts
Hi Mick,
I'd like to question the section in the rules about providing the video feed from onboard the UAV. Very happy to do it during the demo flight, but not real happy about it during the comp flight.

How do the organisers propose to not give away Joe's location to the other teams after we find him this year . I suppose we could just go last after the others haven't been successful.

Cheers
Aaron
AUSUAV is offline Find More Posts by AUSUAV
Old Apr 05, 2009, 07:08 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSUAV
Hi Mick,
I'd like to question the section in the rules about providing the video feed from onboard the UAV. Very happy to do it during the demo flight, but not real happy about it during the comp flight.

How do the organisers propose to not give away Joe's location to the other teams after we find him this year . I suppose we could just go last after the others haven't been successful.

Cheers
Aaron

Hey Guy's,

I was wondering the same thing???
I guess Joe won't care once we have had a go (Thirst quenched and all!)

Regards,

Scott
Bilox is online now Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:37 PM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSUAV
Hi Mick,

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron,

Your question applies to rule 5.13 of the Open Search and Rescue rules as below.

5.13 Access to Video Stream from UAV
The UAV Challenge Organisers request that teams that have a live video stream at
the ground station from their UAV provide access to this stream so that it can be
recorded or broadcast to the crowed at the airport.

The video stream from the UAV may be shown live to the challenge judges and safety officials during your attempt at rescuing Joe, during the launch and transit phases of the mission some of the video stream may broadcast to the crowed at the airport, at no time during the search phase would teams video stream be shown to the public. The recorded video maybe used a later time for promotional use.

Mick Molloy
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:50 PM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Speaking of promotional use
Here is the Promotional video for the 2009 Challenge.
Official UAV Challenge Outback Rescue 2009 Promotional Video (2 min 30 sec)

and
Challenge Newsletter
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:02 PM
Flying for the fun of it
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2005
283 Posts
Robot Challenge Co-ordinates

Hi Mick,

In regards to the "Robot Airborne Delivery Challenge", will gps co-ordinates for the course be made available prior to the challenge? Otherwise, will participants be allowed to go out and mark the required gps co-ordinates themselves before their mission is started.

The reason I ask is that for the previous challenges, no time was made available to teams to collect the required gps data. We were told that during the mission, we were allowed to go around with a gps and mark out points.

However the mission time limit has been set to 20 minutes. For an element of a flight-plan as critical as waypoints, I'm sure everyone would like to be able to take their time to program and check their flight-plans in a calm environment before they carry out the mission. This would also increase safety.

Thanks,
Ben
beep684 is offline Find More Posts by beep684
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:28 PM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep684
Hi Mick,

In regards to the "Robot Airborne Delivery Challenge", will gps co-ordinates for the course be made available prior to the challenge? Otherwise, will participants be allowed to go out and mark the required gps co-ordinates themselves before their mission is started.

The reason I ask is that for the previous challenges, no time was made available to teams to collect the required gps data. We were told that during the mission, we were allowed to go around with a gps and mark out points.

However the mission time limit has been set to 20 minutes. For an element of a flight-plan as critical as waypoints, I'm sure everyone would like to be able to take their time to program and check their flight-plans in a calm environment before they carry out the mission. This would also increase safety.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben,

GPS co-ordinates for the the designated circuit waypoints will be provided to the teams before the challenge.

Mick Molloy
Old Apr 09, 2009, 05:17 AM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
It would seem to me that any teams with a platform for the "Robot Airborne Delivery Challenge" would pretty much be ready to enter the open challenge. Having the aircraft fly a tight circuit and remotely drop a package, as well as take of and landing is going to be every bit as challenging as the open. (perhaps more so given available resources)

Just wondering how many are thinking of entering the "Robot Airborne Delivery Challenge"??
anzacjack is offline Find More Posts by anzacjack
Old Apr 09, 2009, 06:38 AM
Bouldercombe, Central Queensalnd, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
161 Posts
I was wondering how closely the infra Red lamp will be modulated to human skin temp or will it just be 'full on' acting as a beacon to anyone with an IR sensor?

Seems to defeat the purpose if it is just an IR beacon.

In answer to anzacjack
If any one has flown FPV they would know that it might be sufficient to spot a drop zone but the rez is not enough to spot a prone person, even if they were wearing bright colours, let alone Khaki.
But it would not take much extra effort, mostly more accurate sensors though.
mboland is offline Find More Posts by mboland
Old Apr 09, 2009, 09:59 AM
dub dub dub dot ausuav dot com
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Feb 2005
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anzacjack
It would seem to me that any teams with a platform for the "Robot Airborne Delivery Challenge" would pretty much be ready to enter the open challenge. Having the aircraft fly a tight circuit and remotely drop a package, as well as take of and landing is going to be every bit as challenging as the open. (perhaps more so given available resources)

Just wondering how many are thinking of entering the "Robot Airborne Delivery Challenge"??
I don't think that they would be ready to enter the Open challenge but they would certainly learn valuable lessons from it. There are a different set of problems to be solved in both challenges. Sensors, duration, load carrying ability, ground speed etc are all different in the two challenges.

Best of luck for all those trying the Robot ADC. It's a tough one in my opinion. I'll stick to the open one, it's easier!

Cheers
Aaron
AUSUAV is offline Find More Posts by AUSUAV
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:16 AM
Flying for the fun of it
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2005
283 Posts
Thanks for your previous response Mick. I have two more questions:

The rules state that: "teams must use radio receiver(s) that are capable of reverting to predefined failsafe values when radio communications is lost from the UAV Controller’s radio transmitter. If for any reason the UAV appears to be out of control during the competition or during practice flights, the UAV Controller must turn off their transmitter, and invoke the flight termination mode." - The rules then go on to describe failsafe positions for each control surface.
I was planning on using a Spektrum DX7 and AR7000 2.4ghz receiver, as there is a lot of interference on 36mhz where I fly. However this receiver only has a programmable failsafe on the throttle channel. If the transmitter is turned off, a traditional failsafe system would not be activated. Is there any way we can use this receiver (or at least a DX7 transmitter)?

The other question is in relation to the payload to be released -
"A supply package(s) will be provided to each team for delivery on the day of the competition. The supply package will have the following specifications:
1. Size of 120x30x40 (mm)
2. Homogeneous mass distribution
3. Weight of 60 grams"
Will the shape of the package be a rectangular prism? It would be very helpful if a diagram was made available, to confirm that the design of the payload release mechanism will be compatible with the package supplied on the day.
If the 'package' is a readily available item could you please say what it is so that teams can practice with it?

Thanks,
Ben

Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:14 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep684
I was planning on using a Spektrum DX7 and AR7000 2.4ghz receiver, as there is a lot of interference on 36mhz where I fly. However this receiver only has a programmable failsafe on the throttle channel. If the transmitter is turned off, a traditional failsafe system would not be activated. Is there any way we can use this receiver (or at least a DX7 transmitter)?

Hey Ben,

The AR7000 Receiver does have failsafe for all channels.
It’s all in the binding technique!

What you have to do is….
1 Insert the bind plug into the receiver.
2 Power up the receiver
3 Remove the bind plug
4 Turn on the transmitter while doing the button hold binding thingo.

(I think that was it)

Leaving the bind plug in while turning on the transmitter only fail safe’s the Throttle CH.

I too had the same dilemma until I found this out.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Scott James
Bilox is online now Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:48 AM
Flying for the fun of it
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2005
283 Posts
AR7000 does have a failsafe on every channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biloxthecat
Hey Ben,

The AR7000 Receiver does have failsafe for all channels.
It’s all in the binding technique!

What you have to do is….
1 Insert the bind plug into the receiver.
2 Power up the receiver
3 Remove the bind plug
4 Turn on the transmitter while doing the button hold binding thingo.

(I think that was it)

Leaving the bind plug in while turning on the transmitter only fail safe’s the Throttle CH.

I too had the same dilemma until I found this out.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Scott James
wow thanks a lot Scott! I just tried it and it certainly does work such a relief...

I wonder why they don't state this method in the manual? They do mention holding the sticks in the desired failsafe position, but there is nothing about removing the bind plug before powering on the transmitter... oh well, thanks again!
Closed Thread