HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Gabby

WWWeeeeeeeelllllll,?
Did it ever show up? The Gabby I mean. We haven't heard from you in ages so I'm assuming you've been Gabbied up or something of that nature! I've shimmed the wings on mine 2mm up on the after side as per advise from the manufacturer and hopefully can give it a try on Tuesday like that. I'm curious what the difference will actually be. I'll let you and everyone know what I see. Been flying this plane for two years now, so if there is a difference I will surely see it. Not changing the nose wieght because the CG stayed in the same place.
Douglas Tarr is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Tarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:56 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Brown, Have you been Gabbieiezzed? Not a word from you for daze. Are you still conceonze? Let us know how it's going! Mine's going out for the first time this year tomarrow (weather permitting) with the new 2.5 mm shims for the after part of the wing. We shall see. IŽll let you know the results and differentses.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:28 PM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Tarr
Brown, Have you been Gabbieiezzed? Not a word from you for daze. Are you still conceonze? Let us know how it's going! Mine's going out for the first time this year tomarrow (weather permitting) with the new 2.5 mm shims for the after part of the wing. We shall see. IŽll let you know the results and differentses.

Hi Douglas,
The Gabby is all ready for flight, but the weather isn't! It has been gusting 30mph and poor thermal conditions when the wind isn't blowing... Hopefully Wednesday I'll throw her up.

I have dialed everything as best I can on the ground. I'm really disappointed because the AUW is 34.2oz. The description on the NESail website says AUW to be 26-28oz. and noted as having a 7-7.9oz/ft2 wingloading. I used the same radio and flap servos as suggested and used even lighter servos for the ailerons and ruddervadors. I had to add 2.5 ounces to the nose to get to 41% CG! This is addition to putting everything in as far forward as possible AND using a 1600mah 5 cell battery. For the sail version, they should have supplied some kind of wing shim to go at the LE at the fuse create a longer nose moment, so CG is easier to attain without adding weight.
The notes Sal put up say: "The nose-moment is fairly long so you do not need a large battery or much nose weight. We suggest using a 4-cell AAA 720 mah Nimhd batteries." I can tell you that this HAS to be a mistake and must have copied this text from the E-version.

Right now, I'm pretty disgruntled, as this thing now has a wingloading around 9.6oz/ft2. It's not bad I guess, but i was hoping this would come out closer to the specs on the website. (7-8oz/ft2 range)

As soon as the weather clears, I'll throw her up and see what happens. I'll get it all on video. -ciao
browncbr1 is offline Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:50 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
364 Posts
I went out today to toss gabby up, but range check didn't work. I was getting bad interference on my new Castle 7p Rx. I brought it back home and tried several other rx's. JR, Corona, etc. results are better, but still twitchy when the antenna is close to the airframe. It seems that the carbon might be causing problems. Can anyone comment on what type of rx is best used with molded ships?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by browncbr1; Apr 28, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:19 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Hoi Mr Brown I fly almost all mine with a Futaba T9CP super Tx which is great. Good programming possibilities and set ups for full house etc.. I have different Rx's in different planes, but in the Gabby I have a Futaba R319DPS / PCM1024 that came with the Tx,(note PCM) and I never have problems with range or interference. I can shut the Tx off and it never makes a move or sound. Range checks with 1/8 ant. at 100 yards always come out good. I try to fly all my planes with PCM here around Amsterdam. If you shut the Tx off with a PPM Rx the plane will shutter so hard that you think it's going to fall apart on the ground in front of you!! I only have one plane left that is on PPM and I am going to change it to PCM before this summer.
My Rx sits just before the wing with a hole right under it where the ant. exits to the ouside of the fuse and I get no chatter or funny stuff with the Tx nearby or at 100 yards.
Where are you located and what make/type Tx are you running? What other planes do you fly? I have the Gabby, a Fling 2M, a Dream Line 1.6M from Esprit Models in Florida, and a Mini Fireworks DLG which is an amazing little bird. I hope to be going out Saturday and if so will be testing the effect of the after (TE) wing shim for the Gabby. Let you know what I see. My Email is Islandman@Tiscali.nl if you prefer to use that.

Douglas.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:30 AM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Tarr
Hoi Mr Brown I fly almost all mine with a Futaba T9CP super Tx which is great. Good programming possibilities and set ups for full house etc.. I have different Rx's in different planes, but in the Gabby I have a Futaba R319DPS / PCM1024 that came with the Tx,(note PCM) and I never have problems with range or interference. I can shut the Tx off and it never makes a move or sound. Range checks with 1/8 ant. at 100 yards always come out good. I try to fly all my planes with PCM here around Amsterdam. If you shut the Tx off with a PPM Rx the plane will shutter so hard that you think it's going to fall apart on the ground in front of you!! I only have one plane left that is on PPM and I am going to change it to PCM before this summer.
My Rx sits just before the wing with a hole right under it where the ant. exits to the ouside of the fuse and I get no chatter or funny stuff with the Tx nearby or at 100 yards.
Where are you located and what make/type Tx are you running? What other planes do you fly? I have the Gabby, a Fling 2M, a Dream Line 1.6M from Esprit Models in Florida, and a Mini Fireworks DLG which is an amazing little bird. I hope to be going out Saturday and if so will be testing the effect of the after (TE) wing shim for the Gabby. Let you know what I see. My Email is Islandman@Tiscali.nl if you prefer to use that.

Douglas.

Hi Douglas,
Thanks for all your input. I ended up pulling a PCM rx out of one of my other planes and it definitely improved. I sent the berg 7p back to Castle for warranty. I actually flew the Gabby yesterday in roughly 10mph/16kmh winds. I only found one rise, but it blew away and I didn't want to get too far away just yet. I had big problems on launch though. It would dive left... dead left!... I am almost 100% certain this is due to the wing not being perfectly centered on the fuse. I am repositioning the wing on there alittle more accurately so that the center of lift (roll) is on the same centerline as the tow hook. I could get it up before, but had to hold right aileron with my other hand... But there is some drag caused, as the control surfaces are trimmed for right Ail and it is out of whack with the wing. I couldn't get this all on video, as I was alone, but I will get the wing remounted and go out again with the camera for sure. Weather this week isn't looking too promising, but I'll try to get out. In the picture you can see the dark area where the previous holes were drilled and tapped. The LE centerline is now moved to the left slightly to be more centered. I wrapped the drill bit in electrical tape to make sure the hole is centered with wing holes. I put an additional ply plate underneath just incase the epoxy should ever fail. The nylon bolts are more than long enough. This should square things up on launch hopefully!

Because, the mixing on my xp6102 is somewhat limited, I have been closely considering buying either the JR 10x or the 9303. I can't seem to decide which is best. I found a brand new 9303 with pcm rx and 3 yr warranty for $280 delivered, or a used JR 10x with rx for about $200. Do you have any experience with either of these?

-Craig
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by browncbr1; Apr 30, 2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Craig, If your ails and rudder are straight with the flying surfaces then you have something terribly wrong somewhere else. The Gabby is a tedious plane to fly, but it doesn't pull left hand corners on a regular basis unless something is way out of wack. I think your idea is best, go with no shims or blocks, get the wing on perfectly centered and tight on the wing saddle and go from there. Also check your distance from wing tips to elevator surface tips as that is just as important as that your wing straight and level is. As I said I've been flying the thing for almost 2 years without shims and it didn't stop me from having some good flights with it. Except for that pain in the ass how did it go for the rest?
The radios you talk about I have (sorry) no experience with. I fly with a Graupner MX-12 and a Futaba T9CP Super (Europe), the later I've already said. The rest I don't know anything about. For 2 channel birds just about anything will do just fine, but for full house so as the Gabby I really like the Futaba 9C.

Douglas
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:21 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
364 Posts
Hi Douglas,
I have a good feeling adjusting the wing placement will help. I just mounted the wing and measured everything... here are the results.

Lt Ail tip to Lt Rdr tip = 39.3125" (253.6cm)
Rt Ail tip to Rt Rdr tip = 39.3125" (253.6cm)

Lt Ail tip to fuse centerline at LE of rudder = 45" (290.3cm)
Rt Ail tip to fuse centerline at LE of rudder = 45" (290.3cm)

Tow hook to Rt Ail TE tip = 35.25" (227.4cm)
Tow hook to Lt Ail TE tip = 35.125" (226.6cm)

I believe this means the wing is now true with the fuse, but the tow hook is off center to the left. (makes perfect sense, because during tow, it would pull left)

.8065cm difference means I need to move the tow hook right by 2mm (4mm swing). I'll get to work now, but first I'm measuring all again JIC i'm wrong! I'm also going to check to see if the adjustment can be made with a shim under one side of the wing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by browncbr1; Apr 30, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old May 01, 2009, 09:14 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Craig, I think that moving the tow hook should solve your problem. I wouldn't shim the wing, then it would be out of alignment with the tail surfaces. BTW does it fly straight once off the tow? If so then it's definitely only the tow hook that is a problem. Douglas.
Old May 01, 2009, 10:08 AM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
364 Posts
Hi Douglas,
I figured out not to shim the wing by trial and error, as it did, indeed, put the wing out of alignment with the tail. I have tried to shim the tow hook instead. I will launch it hopefully Sunday if the weather clears... I want to avoid doing a complete remount of the tow hook if possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2009, 01:24 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Craig, I think you got it. A 2mm bend in the tow hook shouldn't be a big problem if it is soft steel, but what's the problem with drilling a new hole and inserting it where it belongs? Takes you maybe 2 hours. 1 hour and 58 minutes to consider it and 2 minutes to carry out the task. It's not like the holes are on top of each other, then you maybe had a problem. If you do it that way then you are completely off of that problem and can concentrate way better on the new ones!! You can always close the old hole with some CA and no one will know about it except you, me, and the rest of this forum. (But the forum will no doubt never come within 100 yards of your plane!!) So you are free and clear. And we don't care how many holes you have in one plane anyway and just hope that you can get into the air in a decent manner and stay there as long as possible wtihout crashing upon landing as I do quite often. Douglas
Old May 01, 2009, 01:32 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Craig, You never did say which state you live or fly in. Doug.
Old May 02, 2009, 07:05 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
364 Posts
Hi Douglas,
I think I'm going to test the shimmed hook and perform some field adjustments until it is all better. I didn't consider bending the metal, but I bet it wouldn't be difficult at all. I already have 5 holes going down the bottom of the fuse. The manufacturer didn't put enough adhesive to hold the push rod housings and they came free after my first few flights... I had to drill the holes to access the rods and apply some epoxy. looks good now, but will keep my eye on them.

I live and fly in Boulder, Colorado. I am going to my home town in a couple of weeks in Tennessee, so I look forward to catching some hot air along the ridge lines!

Sloppy rain all week here. I might fly my Edge540T tomorrow, but the ground is too muddy here to be walking around and landing the Gabby. Later this week, I'll be out if it clears.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2009, 06:48 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
You seem to be all around the place. What sort of job do you have? I'm stuck in one place so I don't have too many flying options. What is an Edge 540T??? Have heard of it but never seen one. Can you do some photos here? I would like to see it.
Had a beautiful flying day yesterday in the westerlijk haven gebied van Amsterdam (West harbor piece of Amsterdam, lots of open fields there). I launched with a 150 meter line and had several beautiful flights of more than 10 minutes and one of over 30 min with a couple of really good thermals. They call them bells here. That was with a Fling 2M. They are a bit heavy on wing loading, but because of that they do pretty well with a bit of wind. Yesterday it was 10 to 30 knots but steady and that makes a big difference.
If it's gusty it sucks, hard steady wind with the Fling you have to really pay attention but it's good flying! Douglas.
Old May 03, 2009, 06:50 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
364 Posts
Hi Douglas,
My wife took a video of the Edge540T here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post12165140

I also recorded the Gabby on the first launch today. I had a bad tip stall near landing. Then had a good day of plenty of thermals... Then a guy shows up with a radio that was bleeding into my frequency and caused major problems. On my last launch of the day, after release, I had zero control and the Gabby went straight down spiral from about 150-200 feet. Luckly, the ground was soft and the nose plugged in the mud... The only the broken was the rear nylon wing bolts. I sure am lucky...

In any case, the bungee launch was MUCH better. I programed more rudder to aileron mix to get it to turn properly. I think it still needs more though. All in all, a successful day, but I'm just going to wait until my xp9303 shows up tomorrow before messing with it again. Here's a video of the Gabby first launch with tip stall. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post12164918
RCG Plus Member