SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2009, 03:56 PM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Build Log
Ordered my new Gabby 2M TD, time to put together!

So I called Sal up today and ordered up one of the last remaining 2M Gabby non-powered ships. I wrestled with spending the extra money on a molded ship for a few weeks, but everyone says the performance is vastly better and the build is easier. I hope they're right! This is my first molded model. Does anyone have any good tips? I know Truestory learned a few things. Any input is appreciated!
browncbr1 is online now Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by browncbr1; Apr 05, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2009, 09:26 PM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
Check out this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=Gabby+2m

Also, I looked into buying one of those but heard a lot of bad things about them as far as Thermal Duration. I heard that they are great on the slope though. There are some posts, (can't find right now) saying that it is a slope bird advertised here in the US and a 2 Meter TD ship, but it is actually longer than 2m...like 2.2. I would check this before entering it into a competition.
brentrob is offline Find More Posts by brentrob
Old Apr 01, 2009, 09:27 PM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
Found it...

@BK

The Gabby 2M is a sloper marketed here in the states as a 2 meter TD ship even though she is actually 2.2 Meters in span. I flew mine in the Nats last year and had to grind down the tips. She flies very fast and is unforgiving at precision landing type speeds. I would not recommend the Gabby 2 Meter for competition. I wish I could as the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belouder
Blayne,

Excuse the interuption on the Sprite discussion:

Speaking of your old Gabby-I've tried to get someone to tell me how they fly as I'm considering one for TD contest stuff. The price works VERY well for me. The Sprite looks to be the serious tool for comp. but the price might be a bit much considering how much time I can really get in flying.

Your thoughts on the Gabby? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
BK
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:37 AM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Hi Brentrob,
Thanks for the heads up. I had read that several people were having difficulty finding the sweet setup spot, but figured that I could eventually get it right. Some folks seem to really like the gabby and I kind of like the fact that it could possibly be a sloper. I am in the Boulder, CO area and there are some pretty strong thermals around here along with wind. I wanted good wind penetration, as in the winter/spring time the wind can get pretty strong, typically 35-45mph. The Gabby might not be the best of everything, but the price seemed to be competitive seeing how it is all molded. I hope I don't have buyers remorse when it arrives. I hope it lives up to my expectations on quality of materials and completeness. I am going to put a Berg 7p, Bluebird BMS-306BB's in for ruddervadors (lighter, smaller, more torque, and proven in my other planes), and likely the Hitec HS-65MG and HS-65HB in the wings. I was playing with the idea of putting BMS-380MG's in for the flaps, but they are slightly heavier than the Hitec, though they put out 50 oz/in of torque. I'm wondering about the battery though. I think I would like to put a lipo pack in to save more weight... any recommendations?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:39 AM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
oh yea, I was laying in bed last night trying to figure out how to mix my JR XP6201 radio for full house setup... That will take some time to figure out i guess.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:55 AM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
A lipo battery is fine, but you will just need to use a regulator to bring it down to the proper voltage. Don't need to fry the receiver and servos. Somebody else may be able to help you out with the programming on the radio. I've always used Airtronics Vision radios and recently switched over to a JR 9303. Still have to get the manual out all the time in programming it myself.

I agree that being in CO that you would need good penetration, and plenty of areas to slope out there as well. I think that you will be happy with the Gabby.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:51 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
474 Posts
browncbr1 - I would build the Gabby before ordering a battery. See how much weight is needed to get it to balance around 90 mm. I think you will be surprised. I needed to put a five call AA pack in the nose of mine to get it to balance properly. I think the pack weighed around 5 oz. I was disappointed that so much weight was needed. The all-up flying weight still came out to only 31.7 oz, however, which isn't bad compared to what I've read about other Gabbys. It is a fun plane to fly. I'm sure you will have lots of fun with yours.

George
SaltyOne is offline Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:20 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyOne
browncbr1 - I would build the Gabby before ordering a battery. See how much weight is needed to get it to balance around 90 mm. I think you will be surprised. I needed to put a five call AA pack in the nose of mine to get it to balance properly. I think the pack weighed around 5 oz. I was disappointed that so much weight was needed. The all-up flying weight still came out to only 31.7 oz, however, which isn't bad compared to what I've read about other Gabbys. It is a fun plane to fly. I'm sure you will have lots of fun with yours.

George

Hi George... did you put your servos under the TE of the wing or under the canopy?... Sal recommended a 4 cell AAA 760mah, but I already have a NiMH AAA 4cell that is rated at 800mah... The weight is 51g/~1.8oz... I plan to dry fit everything and balance before committing to any particular arrangement of guts...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 02:24 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Gabby

Brown,
I've had a gabby for about a year now and I still don't have it qua CG the way I would like. It is VERY fast and very squirrely no matter what CG you use, so a very hands on bird. Strange for a plane with polyhedral. It is to do, but it is not restful flying, active. The one good part is that when you use your controls it really responds. I have direct contact with the owner of the company that makes them in Austria and he recommends to build up the trailing edge of the wing bed in the fuse by 2-3mm and recheck the CG. This I have not yet tried but it sounds interesting. One thing I can say is that leaving the tail feathers loose on the rods for easy transportation is a load of BS. I tried it for awhile but the things move around so much that it is impossible to maintain trim so I glued them difinitively in place and it is now VERY dependable. The build of the plane is very very high quality so you will be quite happy with that I'm sure. I've crashed it a couple of times and had a few hard landings but the repairs were simple to do in one evening and go out flying the next day. Oh yeah it has "kevlar hinges" only as far as I can see they are not kevlar, had several splits, put hinge tape over everything that moves and now I don't have no problem no more! The wings are really pieces of artwork, beautifully made. Launches are FANTASTIC with a good one on a 150 meter high start it tries to pull the peg out of the ground if you let it. I don't think I could do better with a winch. Hope this helps you, let us all know how it goes! Douglas
Douglas Tarr is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Tarr
Old Apr 03, 2009, 02:31 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Batts

Brown, Forgot about batteries: Don't bother with LIPO's: with NiCads you are going to be adding wieght anyway so spare yourself the bucks and spend it somewhere else. Douglas
Douglas Tarr is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Tarr
Old Apr 03, 2009, 03:17 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Thanks Douglas.
I am planning on using a 4.8v NiMH 800mah pack for now,... it seemed to be the right thing to do to keep things simple. Good points about building up the trailing edge. I think I might make a couple of 1mm carbon fiber shims and experiment, but that stinks that the fuse wouldn't already be properly built to spec. Maybe I will be ok, as my field elevation is 5400'. My buddy just maidened an electric multiplex today and it floated out of sight in no time. We seem to be getting some good thermals around here these days. I just tracked the shipment with FedEx and it is due to arrive April 9th, so stay tuned for photos! Man, I've got the fever bad!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:14 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
474 Posts
Brown - Tarr is right. You will be adding a lot of weight to those 800 mah batteries. To answer your earlier question, my servos are under the canopy, but they are small DS285's. I took my battery out to weigh it and discovered 1.5 oz in lead taped to the battery. Total weight of battery and lead 6.5 oz. I must have a light layup because as stated earlier, even with this, AUW came out less than 32 oz. Tarr is also right about the plane being squirrley. It is difficult to fly smooth at slow speeds. That being said, it is still a decent performer. If you keep the airspeed up it can be flown smoothly and will respond to thermals. Build quality is excellent. Good luck.

George
SaltyOne is offline Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Old Apr 04, 2009, 01:53 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely be dry fitting everything first...
Do you think I should be going with a bigger battery instead of added dead weight?

I wanted something to do last night, as the kit still hasn't arrived, so I went to Kmart and picked up a 4.5foot foam glider for $4. What the hell...

I had some extra stuff laying around... cheap fun... who knows... it might actually fly!... $4 = 1.5hours of building entertainment at the least.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2009, 04:51 PM
Craig B
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Here's how the $4 foam glider turned out.. on the maiden flight, I found that there wasn't enough dyhedral to correct turns with just rudder... So I pulled out my field X-acto knife and cut some polyhedral breaks on each wing. The glue bottle was used as a measurement to make sure each break was done at the same angle. I used the left over slivers of foam to add more rudder surface area. I also added a 1mm spacer on the left side of the motor mount to add more right thrust. After that, this thing floated away! first video is of maiden... the second is with adjustments about 10 minutes later...

Link to the videos: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post11961649

I'll be done with this foolishness as soon as my Gabby shows up!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:49 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2009
97 Posts
good vids

well the sound on the vid says it all.... even flys in the wind!
GOOD job
laryctdummy is offline Find More Posts by laryctdummy