HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:24 AM
Pakistan, Punjab, Lahore
Joined Feb 2007
301 Posts
RTF Slow Stick with 300C brushed motor and 1000mah LiPo in every toy and hobby shop in America and Europe is all you need to keep GWS airplane division in business. Here's why:

1. People don't have money for expensive stuff.
2. Most people don't have 600x600 foot flying fields near their homes.
3. Most People do have 200x200 parks within walking distance from their homes.
4. People (especially kids) like to tinker a little and the SS can be built entirely with the supplied glue and tape. If the manual is made understandable to an 11 year old.
5. The SS will get off the ground even if badly built.
6. The SS is highly modifiable.

7. Finallly, all GWS has to do to convert SS to RTF is to add a Transmitter and LiPo to its existing Flight Pack and bundle it with standard SS kit. And sell it for under $75.

You could buy a 3 channel RTF for less than 75 bucks but all the current offerings including Firebird Phantom require a football field to fly in.
saigol7 is offline Find More Posts by saigol7
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:50 AM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Yes, I agree that a new product will be helpful.

Chen
please not the flatout Me263 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027342

if GWS release the F4 or Mig17 with EDF75, they will have many customers in France!... (or if the "old" warbirds were made in EPO)
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:49 AM
Joined Jun 2006
10 Posts
-scrap anything that doesnt fly especially well. A poor flyer does more damage to the brand that is almost impossible to repair.
-define your market place.. simple+cheap, or accurate scale, or...?? publicise that so punters know what they are buying into, coz its got too scatter gun.
-give clear guidance online as to the models flight characteristics in comparison to another model (or group them in categories).
-see if you can make add-in parts easy to interchange (servo trays/removable motormounts) so you can switch gear easily and fly a different model. That creates brand stickiness.
-if you offer all-in kits, make sure that gear is for perfect flight (weight/power ratios)
-dont think its just price driven.
-how about multipacks? If transport etc is so much of the cost, sell WW2 package (3 planes?), or Celebration Corsair package (different colour schemes)
-get demonstrator/sponsors at local clubs/shows to demonstrate your wares.

OK, that isnt just kit mods, but there you go ...
gjgm is offline Find More Posts by gjgm
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:58 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
969 Posts
the obvious knew planes would be to finish the larger size warbirds. make all your larger warbirds in the epo as light as posible and make retract and flap kits for all the lager planes. i would make these as a separte kit as some dont want them.

if you make the mustang i would set it up with a larger and faster motor. cause as mentioned a bad flying plane is not good and i have read some bad reviews on the stock gws mustang. but the gws mustang is my favorite flying plane when you put some real power in it. it flies like its on rails and goes were you point it. i would advertise on it that its not for beginners as this is a good selling point to the average rc pilot.

also how about the 47-thunderbolt. thats a very popular plane.

of course there is the corsair and the p-38,

german me 109 would also be good to see in the large version.

as far as the zero this is what i would put in its place. it was fast, faster than the p-51. very eye catching and i bet a very good flyer.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:30 AM
Joined Nov 2008
969 Posts
also if you want to get back into the dealearships you need to give the dealer a package discount. what i mean is . you need to sell them 5-10 plane package at a good discount. saves on shipping and fills there shelves with gws.

i would also mandate that all dealers sell there gws shelf items at a 15-20 percent mark up over internet price. why because its in the buyers hands and a lot of us will pay the extra so we dont have to deal with a large transaction over the net. this 15-20% will help cover dealers shiping cost.

one thing though thats very important. if you hae them raise there gws shelf minum prices you should not raise the internet minimum prices as we the internet buyer must pay the shipping and do the paper work and you will loose a lot if not all of your custemers who buy off the internet..

well i think i have said my 2 cents worth lol..
Old Apr 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,909 Posts
truth is..they could offer up what they're putting out this year for free and it wouldn't cost them a penny......you know why?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Apr 23, 2009, 03:38 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
also if you want to get back into the dealearships you need to give the dealer a package discount. what i mean is . you need to sell them 5-10 plane package at a good discount. saves on shipping and fills there shelves with gws.

i would also mandate that all dealers sell there gws shelf items at a 15-20 percent mark up over internet price. why because its in the buyers hands and a lot of us will pay the extra so we dont have to deal with a large transaction over the net. this 15-20% will help cover dealers shiping cost.

one thing though thats very important. if you hae them raise there gws shelf minum prices you should not raise the internet minimum prices as we the internet buyer must pay the shipping and do the paper work and you will loose a lot if not all of your custemers who buy off the internet..

well i think i have said my 2 cents worth lol..
I think that would be an excellent idea. That would help fill in some of the supply gaps. The more people see your products on the shelves, the more likely they are to buy them.

Quote:
truth is..they could offer up what they're putting out this year for free and it wouldn't cost them a penny......you know why?
Are you referring to the new digital servos, the new brushless gearbox package, or the RTF packages?
thrashmaster71 is online now Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Apr 23, 2009, 05:02 PM
Joined Nov 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34

why?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 05:54 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
why?
because there is no offering........why do you think
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:28 AM
Sky Captain Of Yesteryear
Joined Nov 2008
95 Posts
The Fw190 and P40 got people's attention. Now that people are paying some attention to GWS again, you come out with a new product that looks even better. Word spreads, and GWS's presence in the market increases.

Being a business owner myself I have a fair knowledge base of this, really I just think the higher ups at gws are making this more difficult than it should be.

A good product, if done right, would be the Stuka. It's interesting looking and hard to find elsewhere. Alfa Models was the only company I know of that made a foam parkflyer of this plane but stopped making it a while ago. You can still find it, but at $180 for the airframe only, GWS could come out with a much more affordable version that would probably sell quite well.
Max Powers is offline Find More Posts by Max Powers
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:58 AM
France, Rhône-Alpes, Pierrelatte
Joined Apr 2009
308 Posts
Here's my wishes about future GWS plane kit releases :

- No cutter needed kit : parts such as ailerons, rudder, elevator should be separated. People are sometime affraid to damage or badly cut their plane. It's also a pity to cut parts of Painted kit and so, have white foam appearing.
- Retract ready : the wheel slots when gear is retracted should be prepared too, has done for ailerons servos or gear slots. Many people now can afford 5ch+ Tx so now more people wants to include retract. See what's done for E-Flite Sea Fury for example.
- Bigger planes : Isn't it possible to just scale kit size up, 1.20m wingspam for single motor warbirds whould be great.

I think those 3 points could enhance GWS sales, but I don't know how much the kit cost would grow up. I owned a Corsair and now building T6. Kits quality is growing up and I hope this will continue with my wishes.
BinbinDesbois is offline Find More Posts by BinbinDesbois
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2008
95 Posts
Leaving the control surfaces on for you to cut out yourself reduces the cost. And if you cant cut a straight line with a straight edge, I dont want to be anywhere near when you actually fly the thing.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:17 PM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Powers
A good product, if done right, would be the Stuka. It's interesting looking and hard to find elsewhere. Alfa Models was the only company I know of that made a foam parkflyer of this plane but stopped making it a while ago. You can still find it, but at $180 for the airframe only, GWS could come out with a much more affordable version that would probably sell quite well.
Thunder Tiger is already selling the "stuka" foamy, with a brushless motor included http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/4340-K21.html
http://www.mrcmodelisme.com/fiche_avion.php?id=95
too late for GWS...

3 Good Ideas BinbinDesbois
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
France, Rhône-Alpes, Pierrelatte
Joined Apr 2009
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Powers
Leaving the control surfaces on for you to cut out yourself reduces the cost. And if you cant cut a straight line with a straight edge, I dont want to be anywhere near when you actually fly the thing.
The aim of this post is to increase presence. To do that, I think kits must be easier to build, so people that use to buy RTF kits will buy GWS kits.
I don't think kits cost will raise a lot if control surfaces are pre-cutted or moulded as separated.
Watch this E-Flite Sea Fury manual : http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...ry_400_ARF.pdf
This kit is very well finished, retracted included, nice paint job, control surface pre-cutted. The price in Europe is close to GWS P40 or T6 kits.
My GWS planes have no problem to fly, but the cut isn't smooth enough for me and its clearly visible on painted kit.
BinbinDesbois is offline Find More Posts by BinbinDesbois
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2008
95 Posts
Only RTF foam kits are easier to assemble than GWS ones. Its the little bit of work that is left for the buyer to do that keeps the price down. As far as the cut goes, its called a sanding block, and if you dont like seeing bare foam either paint it or dont buy it. And unless you fly them in a circle 5 feet from your head the joints arent really easy to see.

Eflite cant be compared to GWS, they make the better finished kits by far. But you cant get an entire Eflite kit- unpainted-NPS- in the US for $37.99 (shipping included).
I agree that if GWS implemented some of the suggestions given to them on this, and a half dozen other threads like this one, Im sure the kits would have a better final quality, but as usual we have yet to see this.