HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:16 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,150 Posts
On the positive note, other Chinese manufacturers are steadily improving their stuff. I know of at least one fairly impressive line of EDFs.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:21 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
the sad truth is there is no magic bullet. It takes ten minutes to loose a customer and 10 years to get them back. GWS has to put their head down and start working hard if the are ever going to recapture their lost market shares.

They had their chance to make hay when it the sun was shining and they didn't, now during the storm they will have to work twice or three times as hard to weather it.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:22 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg
On the positive note, other Chinese manufacturers are steadily improving their stuff. I know of at least one fairly impressive line of EDFs.

That is true. I have several Walkera helis and it's the same case there. They continually improve their stuff.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Apr 18, 2009, 03:45 PM
Bedlington, United Kingdom
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Firstly, I would like to apologise to Roger Lombard, I am sorry if my last post seemed to put you on the spot, that was not my intention.

I have the greatest respect for you and the others on this forum who are more knowlegeable than I am about R.C. aircaft.

I think it makes sense to address any problems that have been found in kits with upgrades, but, I also think it would be a good idea if their were other ways to get our kits (clearing any backstock GWS has) which would put more money in the coffers for R&D, new model releases and advertising, which would strengthen their position in the market, (Everything GWS wants and the whole point of this thread).

Michael.
michaellown is offline Find More Posts by michaellown
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,150 Posts
I'd suggest that we try to keep this thread focused, to the extent it is possible. The purpose of this thread is to suggest low-investment improvements to the existing kits.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:38 PM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Sorry, but I thought the wholepoint of this thread (from its title) was to suggest ideas on how GWS can improve its[U]"PRESENCE ON MARKET" not "suggest ideas on improving our kits on the cheap".

Michael.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:11 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,150 Posts
okay.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:00 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,071 Posts
Unfortunately.....

ALL THE WALL STREETS around the world have really destroyed ALL levels of incomes!!!!!!!!

So that each week another 1/2 % of the work forces are without a job.
There is no way ANY company can overcome that fact.

The rich are hurting also. Madoff & the rest of the wall street crooks are still running scams on everyone. Economies are going down & oil, gasoline ,Lead Copper & Hops used in beer are reaching new highs again.

With congress protecting the crooks on wall street with more money every day. There is NO CHANCE of the hobby markets rebounding.

This is going to be a long rough period.

Rich
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:47 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,238 Posts
A suggestion from somewhat of a noobie to the hobby. I suggest improvements to the manuals. There is a wealth of information of the forums but nothing truly easyly accessible. For example there seems to be hundreds of build threads for the GWS slow stick. Everyone doing them there own way.

Maybe GWS can select a group of people to review exsisting kits and instructions and suggest alternate manuls that could be distrubuted digitally. Avaialble to download for free from the web site. This wouldn't require a huge investment since the reviewer would get to keep the kit providing he provided some relevent improvements to the manuals.

I also think people are getting a good idea by doing Youtube video's describing the build process...but not so many in detail yet. I know I have watched one guy build his slow stick 10 times now. Good information there.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
Last edited by neck; Apr 18, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:18 PM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
Staten Island
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
Hobby Lobby just came out with a RTF Spitfire
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/spitfire_...de&kw=spitfire
$219.90
GWS could do the same for alot less.
Although, GWS would have to come up with a 2.4ghz Radio.
WWIFlyin'Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWIFlyin'Ace
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
Staten Island
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
Chen,
If a company's web-site is not updated, people will think that the company is out of business.
Potential customers will be reluctant to purchase thinking that there would not be any support.

GWS really should update their website.
WWIFlyin'Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWIFlyin'Ace
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:43 PM
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Jun 2002
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFLYR
The Wright Stick slow flyer with Slow Stick parts. Only needs laser cut wood parts to complete the kit. You could get those parts cheap, as no tooling is needed.
Look at the link inside this post Chen:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=827
I'm not sure what the above post is suggesting. However, what made GWS great was new and inovative products. Unlike most of the Asian producers of products who patheticlly copy other peoples products, GWS was made great because they constantly came out with new and inovative products. As a reseller of their goods, I'd love to see them focus on such things moving forward. Over the years this has changed, getting back to basic creative new and inovative products is what customers get excited about.

I am a supporter of GWS and we use and reccomend thier products. It would be pretty small of them to copy our Wright Stick product and hope that is not being suggested. I've been a friend and promoter of GWS for years, really since the very beginning when I was importing directly. GWS benifits because customers who build a Wright Stick will consume two Slow Stick slope gliders in the process. I would hate to be discouraged from producing new and inovative goods by my work being sent to China to be copied and am certain GWS is above this practice.

What we really need GWS to do is keep goods in stock so we can order and sell them. MANY items are on back order, many popular items. I have a list of 4 or 5 items that I check the site for every week that have been out for weeks. GET THAT STOCK in the USA now. A few airmail packages to GWS USA could fill in holes between shipping containers. Get it done so we can sell the goods. One airmail shipment per week would go a long ways towards customer satisfaction. Don't be a tightwad and wait for the container ship for every single product. It's very tiring waiting months and months for Motors, Slow Stick dihedral tubes, Futaba simulator cords and such to be in stock. Let me tell you what customers do, they go on to other products and maybe they like them and look to the new supplier for the next purchase first rather than GWS.

What customers would clammor for:

1.The 28 outrunners are excellent and are falling out of stock. Why? Get these motors produced and offer them in the kits with ESC.

2. New series of warbird kits in rougly 48" wingspan range.

3. Super Slow Stick (48" or more) for the larger outrunners.

4. The Pico stick product was ruined with thick foam. Bring it back out updated and improved.

5. Send your prototypes out for secret reveiw and impliment the suggestions you get.

6. Pay an American natural english speaker to write your manuals. There are lots of hobbiests and experienced magazine authors that would be very happy to do this. Just because someone from China or Tiawan speaks english well enough to order a meal does not mean they communicate well enough to write good assembly procedures. Trust me, THEY DO NOT. This one step would enhance the consumers impression of quality more than you can imagine.

7. Mark your packages with what is in them. There are numerous parts packages that do not have any kind of description as to what is in it. Just one sentance would be a big improvement.

Those are just some basic ideas I have. GWS is a good company with good leadership. They have added greatly to our hobby and wish them to continue to do so. Without creative producers of goods our hobby would suffer.

I encourage hobbiests to consider the long range effect of those dollars you spend. When you choose a supplier or manufacturers product to spend your money on, what your really doing is voting "I want more of this". There are many good producers of quality products. Reward them with your business if you want more.

Dave Thacker
Radical RC
radicalrc is offline Find More Posts by radicalrc
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:38 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellown
Sorry, but I thought the wholepoint of this thread (from its title) was to suggest ideas on how GWS can improve its[U]"PRESENCE ON MARKET" not "suggest ideas on improving our kits on the cheap".

Michael.
No, actually Michael, how the thread started was here and it was pretty much exactly about improving the kits on the cheap.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...55&postcount=1

RADICAL, while your remarks about readability and accuracy of the manuals would be true for the earlier ones I think you'll find that since the 262 (or thereabouts) the manuals have been very much better, in fact up with or better than anything else coming out of the far east because I happen to know that GWS are now using a volunteer team of native English, American and Australian speaking proof readers
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:42 AM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Roger, thank you for correcting me, it was the " presence on market" that threw me

Michael.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:17 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,673 Posts
Hi Roger and other valued Friends,

Thank you very much for all of your words, I personally would like to make GWS drink more. I'd believe that Boss has made up his mind to make other stuffs more profitable, or make more sales to accumulate more $$$, then he can take all your advices as possible as he could to modify the current kits or release the new birds to the market. Many members of GWS team are R/C fans, we'd like to see more new airplanes released.

Your furether suggestions will be highly appreciated by GWS. Thank you.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN