Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:59 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,657 Posts
Hi Sebsoupe,

I'm afraid that NOT all of them were with 30% raise of price. Most of the powered version kits of the older birds were unchanged, while others were raised by 25% or 30%. Only few of them were raised by 33%. Be reminded that most of the original prices were quoted 7 or even 10 years ago. It's the first time we raised the prices in order to make these kits profitable, while propellers, chargers, gyros, servos, ESC's and receivers still remain unchaned.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Apr 14, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:15 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
I fly the GWS Formosa I and a Zero, and am currently putting together a GWS-190. The engineering on the 190 kit is Superb!!! I hope the economy improves and GWS can release some new warbirds in the larger size.

I bought all as white NPS because I prefer to select the electrics I want and paint it myself. But unfortunatly it seems most RC flyers want everything pre-built. At my flying field all you ever see is RTF and ARF stuff. When I roll out my Green Zero to do battle with the many PZ Corsairs, people love to see it fly and comment on how cool it is. I tell them it's GWS and fairly cheap, and they act like it would be too much trouble for them to spend 10-20 hours putting one together.

Maybe I should start building them to sell, I wonder what people would be willing to pay for a ARF GWS fighter?
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:48 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,657 Posts
Hi Larry076,

Yes, it's the right time for you to start this good business at home.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
Tao Jones industrial ave.
Wisconsin, USA
Joined Apr 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry076
I fly the GWS Formosa I and a Zero, and am currently putting together a GWS-190. The engineering on the 190 kit is Superb!!! I hope the economy improves and GWS can release some new warbirds in the larger size.

I bought all as white NPS because I prefer to select the electrics I want and paint it myself. But unfortunatly it seems most RC flyers want everything pre-built. At my flying field all you ever see is RTF and ARF stuff. When I roll out my Green Zero to do battle with the many PZ Corsairs, people love to see it fly and comment on how cool it is. I tell them it's GWS and fairly cheap, and they act like it would be too much trouble for them to spend 10-20 hours putting one together.

Maybe I should start building them to sell, I wonder what people would be willing to pay for a ARF GWS fighter?
I agree, what makes GWS kits special to me is that they can be built and modified, painted, ect. as I wish. If GWS goes to making RTF type models they will certainly lose me as a customer (except for maybe thier servos ).

With GWS and a little effort, even a modestly industrious modeler can have a excellent little plane for about $200 or $300. There are already too many Hobby / Park -- Zone, Town, Lobby, this, that and the other thing RTF models out there in the world and I find them all quite un-inspiring.

It is my hope GWS continues to sell well designed air-frames that I can complete to my liking.
VillagePerson is offline Find More Posts by VillagePerson
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:52 AM
Pakistan, Punjab, Lahore
Joined Feb 2007
301 Posts
I think that as far as slow flyers are concerned, the brushed motor/gearbox/prop combination is perfectly adequate. My Pico Stick, Slow Stick and Pico Tiger Moth fly beautifully on their stock motor/prop. This includes flying the Slow Stick with a 100 gram camera.

I know most GWS enthusiasts will disagree but guys just think: an ARF plane with motor/gearbox and prop even glue for pete's sake for under 50 bucks!

FOREGEDABOUDID!

And most instructors will agree that beginners should avoid overpowered planes so they can learn to fly the wing.

The fact that I didn't have to go running to a hobby shop to complete the plane and test flew it in my back yard is what me back to aeromodeling after 21 years.

That is the real edge that GWS has over the competition. Great design, highly modifiable and extremely affordable.

I would discontinue nicad/nimh batteries and ESCs though and make only LiPo ESCs. The world has moved to LiPo.
saigol7 is offline Find More Posts by saigol7
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:54 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagePerson
I agree, what makes GWS kits special to me is that they can be built and modified, painted, ect. as I wish. If GWS goes to making RTF type models they will certainly lose me as a customer (except for maybe thier servos ).

With GWS and a little effort, even a modestly industrious modeler can have a excellent little plane for about $200 or $300. There are already too many Hobby / Park -- Zone, Town, Lobby, this, that and the other thing RTF models out there in the world and I find them all quite un-inspiring.

It is my hope GWS continues to sell well designed air-frames that I can complete to my liking.
That is also what attracted me to GWS, especially the fact that they offer the airframes unpainted. While I've never understood how a company could sell so many RTF kits (especially with planes for advanced flyers) places like Hobby-Lobby can sell gobs of them, so clearly there is a market for it. Honestly, I think it would be wise for GWS to jump on the RTF/ARF bandwagon (they already offer an RTF Estarter) as long as they continue to offer NPS versions also (painted and unpainted)

Hopefully they can start making some money again, so that they can start producing new airframes again, which I think is their strength. I've flown 3 different GWS planes (F4U, P-40, and A-10), and all 3 are fantastic flyers! I look forward to the (hopefully) upcoming exciting GWS releases. Hang in there GWS, and keep up the good work!
thrashmaster71 is online now Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Apr 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmaster71
GWS already offer an RTF Estarter
I doubt that the RTF Estarter kit was already available in any RC shop…
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...y/allinone.htm
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:15 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,405 Posts
Quote:
That is also what attracted me to GWS, especially the fact that they offer the airframes unpainted. While I've never understood how a company could sell so many RTF kits (especially with planes for advanced flyers) places like Hobby-Lobby can sell gobs of them, so clearly there is a market for it. Honestly, I think it would be wise for GWS to jump on the RTF/ARF bandwagon (they already offer an RTF Estarter) as long as they continue to offer NPS versions also (painted and unpainted)

Hopefully they can start making some money again, so that they can start producing new airframes again, which I think is their strength. I've flown 3 different GWS planes (F4U, P-40, and A-10), and all 3 are fantastic flyers! I look forward to the (hopefully) upcoming exciting GWS releases. Hang in there GWS, and keep up the good work!
I said this same thing earlier in the thread and i agree that GWS should be in both markets if it is profitable. Personally I think the new GWS foam planes like the FW 190, P-40 and ME 262 in RTF form would sell like hotcakes and beat the pants off ParkZone if you could keep them in the same price range or near.

I too would prefer to build my own but I think the industrious ones who are like this are in the minority now.

How about some RTF's Chen? Then you all could make some foamy kits of offbeat rarely modelled warbirds for us that like to be different.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:56 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,173 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12035507
Quote:
She will be getting the new GWS EDF-50 with B/L motor combo they just came out with
Am I the only one who missed this release?

Chen, you can have the best product in the world but if no-one knows you're selling it you will go broke.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:58 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebsoupe
I doubt that the RTF Estarter kit was already available in any RC shop…
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...y/allinone.htm
I don't know about that, but I see that they are available at Caliber.
http://www.caliberhobby.com/estarter_kits.html
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:38 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
How about you set up an EBAY store with "Buy It Now" prices. Paypal secure payment then anyone who wants to order a plane can do so easily. Or just set up a very basic store front website so people can buy GWS direct. Why is it so hard? I dont understand.I dont feel comfortable sending my credit card details by fax to GWS. I want to order a Pico Moth and cant find one anywhere in Australia.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:57 AM
Bedlington, United Kingdom
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub
How about you set up an EBAY store with "Buy It Now" prices. Paypal secure payment then anyone who wants to order a plane can do so easily. Or just set up a very basic store front website so people can buy GWS direct. Why is it so hard? I dont understand.I dont feel comfortable sending my credit card details by fax to GWS. I want to order a Pico Moth and cant find one anywhere in Australia.

I agree a GWS on-line shop be it an e-bay shop or part of the GWS site would be fantastic. This would ensure all GWS fans around the world would have full access to airfames and spare parts ( I noticed alot of threads are about inability to source a particular part or parts). I currently have a e-starter but want to advance up to the F-15, J-10, B-2. The problem is I cant find a GWS B-2 in the UK, Ithink I would have to order it in from the US. Also, think how much money would roll into the GWS piggy bank for R&D, releasing the new airframes that Mr Lin wants us to buy. I really hope this all happens as I LOVE what I have seen from GWS so far and I WANT to keep spending my money with them.

Michael.
michaellown is offline Find More Posts by michaellown
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:11 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
I think that is a great idea, but I think they will still have to deal with outrageous shipping costs.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:10 PM
Bedlington, United Kingdom
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
I think that is a great idea, but I think they will still have to deal with outrageous shipping costs.

You are absolutely right thrashmaster71 and it is a BIG problem that GWS HAS to address quickly. It is all fine and well if GWS revise their existing line with motor combos or RTF packages or an on-line shop, stocked with every airfame and every spare part we could ever need, or our lhs has a never-ending supply from GWS if it is too expensive to get the stock from the manufacturer to the distributers.

I would love to be able to order direct from GWS straight to my door.
michaellown is offline Find More Posts by michaellown
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
Seriously Chen, with minimal spending you could set-up either an EBAY store or your own on-line store. All you would need is someone to process the orders and ship them. I know would buy 3 kits straight off without even blinking. The buyer can make the call on the shipping but I'm betting if the kits are very well priced the shipping will not be an issue. Why not try the EBAY option first.
It wont cost you anything!
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub