HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:58 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
what gives look at these planes closly....

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4chmemercaim.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4chp5muwaaib.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4spmk2waaibo.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/f4uco4waplbo.html

i know the mustang is the same. looks like the aileron has been changed just alittle to fix the easy break. are these gws or just knock offs. and if they are knock offs or remolds i would say that they are going to eat up some of your sails as these come painted...

i just realized these come in epo not eps... looks likes the same planes to me..
57sailplane is online now Find More Posts by 57sailplane
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2009, 09:10 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
They are knock offs. and have been around for a while. Mr. Lin does know about them. There have been some threads and posts about them before.

They sure cannot be helping his sales.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:21 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
They are knock offs. and have been around for a while. Mr. Lin does know about them. There have been some threads and posts about them before.

They sure cannot be helping his sales.
Wes
I guess the idea for increasing GWS' presence on market at minimum cost, would be to ask folks to constantly crash the Nitroplanes website.
Oh yeah, HC has them too.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old May 30, 2009, 03:32 AM
Pakistan, Punjab, Lahore
Joined Feb 2007
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
dear gws chen. i am wondering somthing. i and a lot of others on here order from hobbycity. i see you are selling stuff on there. how come you don't sell your planes on there. i would probably buy one or two planes on there as i could combine shiping. that the bad thing about shipping. if you can find some place to get most everything at a good price then it makes shiping cost more neglajable..<not sure on spelling... just saw this and i think others would apreciate it also...
I asked the same question from Hobbycity. They told me that they have stopped stocking GWS kits because their cost of stocking GWS is too high. Hobbycity's Chinese suppliers simply provide HC with much more profitable margins.
saigol7 is offline Find More Posts by saigol7
Old May 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigol7
I asked the same question from Hobbycity. They told me that they have stopped stocking GWS kits because their cost of stocking GWS is too high. Hobbycity's Chinese suppliers simply provide HC with much more profitable margins.

there you have it.. right there this is the answer.. to the hole mess....
57sailplane is online now Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old May 30, 2009, 01:34 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
897 Posts
and the whole mess too......
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old May 31, 2009, 08:12 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
what gives look at these planes closly....

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4chmemercaim.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4chp5muwaaib.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4spmk2waaibo.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/f4uco4waplbo.html

i know the mustang is the same. looks like the aileron has been changed just alittle to fix the easy break. are these gws or just knock offs. and if they are knock offs or remolds i would say that they are going to eat up some of your sails as these come painted...

i just realized these come in epo not eps... looks likes the same planes to me..

Any idea what 'brand' they are or who makes them? they don't look like GuanLi

oops, just realised some of them are GuanLi, not sure on the Mustang though
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Last edited by woodsy; May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 02:12 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Theirs were in the same size, same shape and almost everything the same as GWS ones although they did not produce every GWS bird. We did invest a lot of $$$ in R&D for all of our airplanes but I'd believe that they spent far less than what we did in this regard. That's why ours need to be sold a little expensively.

And our kits come with better quality than theirs though theirs might be more colourful.

Chen
GWS CHEN is online now Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Jun 01, 2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 02:20 PM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
Staten Island
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
Mr Chen,
I find it sad that GWS had to contend with pirates.
Your company worked hard and spent alot of money,
and see their products get ripped off.

However perhaps you can draw a lesson as well.
It always appeared that the knock offs were about the same price as GWS.
People bought their products not because it was cheaper but it was RTF.
Minimal amount of work and they were ready to fly.
WWIFlyin'Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWIFlyin'Ace
Old Jun 01, 2009, 03:45 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIFlyin'Ace
Mr Chen,
I find it sad that GWS had to contend with pirates.
Your company worked hard and spent alot of money,
and see their products get ripped off.

However perhaps you can draw a lesson as well.
It always appeared that the knock offs were about the same price as GWS.
People bought their products not because it was cheaper but it was RTF.
Minimal amount of work and they were ready to fly.
There has to be just as many if not more who would buy GWS planes because they are NOT RTF!. I have no use for an RTF, as is the case for many who are already into the hobby.

But, for this group, the same planes won't generate that much more sales, except for a few of the classics, like TM400, etc. I'll always have one of those as long as they are available. But I don't crash much any more, so buying another of what I already have is not in the cards. No reason or need to replace one that's still flying. But a totally new plane might be a different story...
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 01, 2009, 06:39 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
There has to be just as many if not more who would buy GWS planes because they are NOT RTF!. I have no use for an RTF, as is the case for many who are already into the hobby.

But, for this group, the same planes won't generate that much more sales, except for a few of the classics, like TM400, etc. I'll always have one of those as long as they are available. But I don't crash much any more, so buying another of what I already have is not in the cards. No reason or need to replace one that's still flying. But a totally new plane might be a different story...
I agree 100%. I've modified, tweaked and rebuilt the PT17 quite a few times, each time it was a "new" plane. TM400 same thing. I don't crash often, and when I do break something usually it's a quick repair.

The older/smaller GWS models like the zero, 109, and P51 have to really be kept light to fly well. Where I fly there's generally a good deal of wind. I can only fly the small GWS models on the rare "dead calm" days. The AT6, P40 and 190 I can fly in the common winds 10-20 mph range and get flown the most.

If I had a choice of a new aircraft I would choose one in the 40" WS range at around the two pound flying weight, mostly because of the normal winds here and they fly great. Problem with GWS is there really aren't a lot of choices in the 40" WS/single motor class. I don't want another of the same model and I doubt I will be replacing my current planes anytime soon. If I want a new 40" WS warbird I have to shop from GWS' competition because GWS hasn't released anything new. Sad but true.

The longer GWS waits to release a new 40" WS bird the more customers they are likely to lose forever. I've said it before and I will say it again. Tool up new 40" WS warbirds before it's too late. There really is no excuse, new tooling costs less than going out of business.

Just spend the time researching the demographics. As much as I would like to see a 40" P51 I would have to say I wouldn't recommend it because the market is already flooded with all types of P51's. The market is also very flooded with EDF jets. A 40" ME109 would be a good one due to the fact that there aren't any currently on the market. A Hurricane and/or Mosquito would also be extremely good choices.
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
Last edited by haiduk; Jun 01, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 08:07 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
897 Posts
"High Duck" makes a good point. 1 meter warbirds are cheap to equip with electronics these days. The smaller warbirds are excellent, but bigger is better.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Jun 02, 2009, 02:20 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
RTF -Ready to Fly - comes with radio transmitter , flight battery and charger everything you need to fly, like the PZ Spitfire

BnF - Bind and Fly -Everything above less transmitter. Comes with a Spektrum 2.4 receiver so you must have a Spektrum Transmitter

PnP - Plug and Play - plane is assembled,painted, has motor, esc, servos. plug in your reciever and battery of choice and go fly

ARF - Almost Ready to Fly - Plane is assembled, painted, no electrics installed.
Quite a bit more effort than PnP, but not like building from bare kit.

What the people at my field want to buy are PnP and ARF's. GWS should offer the planes at least as ARFs, if not PnP and even RTF set ups. And of course as white NPS kits for us builders as well. Same mold, 3 or 4 products to package and market. I guarentee you would see more GWS birds in the air if they were sold this way. And GWS could move a lot more of their electrics.

Companies just don't make enough money off us hardcore guys who ask for stuff on these forums, they need to appeal to the masses who know nothing but see the pretty P-40 in Flying Tiger markings in the hobby shop and make an impulse buy. A RTF is good for that, but a good hobby shop salesman can sell them a PnP plane and a radio system, battery and charger and can set it up for them pretty quickly.

Just my observation at my location, people buy RTF, PnP, and ARFs.
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Last edited by Larry076; Jun 03, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 04:58 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,665 Posts
I think the next plane to be released should be the Bigger 40" Beaver. Everyone likes a bush plane and the R&D is already done.

This would have the biggest mass market appeal.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:09 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduk

Just spend the time researching the demographics. As much as I would like to see a 40" P51 I would have to say I wouldn't recommend it because the market is already flooded with all types of P51's. The market is also very flooded with EDF jets. A 40" ME109 would be a good one due to the fact that there aren't any currently on the market. A Hurricane and/or Mosquito would also be extremely good choices.
I agree, a new 40 incher is needed. I wonder what would sell best? Maybe a big Zero, Tony, 109 late model like a G-6, or Hurricane. Wildcat, Hellcat, or Bearcat? I think any twin would not sell as well. People think they want one, but then realize the electrics are going to cost twice as much. Didn't the E-Flite P-38 sell poorly?

I hate to say Mustang but everyone wants one.
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076