HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:20 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Thanks for your sugguestions.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2009, 10:25 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
Mr. Linn,

I have always been a fan of your airplanes since i switched over from glow in 2000.
But now I have to look elsewhere if I want low priced arf kits and electronics.

Most of the hobby shops I go to in person tell me that they cannot even GET GWS products and most of them also say that they were told GWS is going out of business.

I feel like GWS has lost it's focus and has too many irons in the fire so to speak.
If your planes were available in the local hobby shops around here I know they would be selling. I have recomended them and I have talked to several that would like to buy them. But want to see what they are buying in person. Touch it feel it and take it home right then.

Your single biggest problem is not what you make. it is people not being able to find it to buy!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2009, 11:37 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Sorry for delayed many new projects.

But GWS will not out of business!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 24, 2009, 12:02 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
The NEW projects do not have that much appeal to me. What got me interested in GWS was the parkflyer style of plane.
I am not interested in models that HAVE to be taken to a club field or other large areas to be enjoyed!
I was thrilled when I bought,built and flew my first Pico Tigermoth. What a sweetheart of a plane. A perfect parkflyer. I taught several people to fly with them and it was a plane they did not get tired of as quickly as a Slowstick. When you "upgraded" the Pico Tigermoth it was in my mind a DOWN grade. The thicker foam on the tail and wing made it heavier and took away some of the Super Slow flight charm. It is still a good plane. But not as good as it was.

Another favorite of mine is the GWS Pizza. Even though I never use the decals I love the way it flys!
Slow if you want it. Fast enough and as aerobatic as you could ask for such a simple plane. And it laughs at the wind. I have never found wind that I would not fly it in. If I could take the wind so could the Pizza!
Now I hear it is no more. Forget the flying fish... And the lady bug. But the Pizza needs to be around!

To make a long story short don't worry about so many new products. Or being in so many areas of the hobby. Go with your strengths! Low priced good quality airplanes! Planes that are easy to build and fly!
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2009, 03:52 PM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,283 Posts
A little bored, waiting for glue to dry, so I'm visiting areas of forums I haven't been to in awhile.

Has it been mentioned that maybe looking into selling your own products might be good?
Cut out the middleman, there's not that many anyway, take the profit yourself and the consumer can all the good products that we haven't seen.

I've yet seen one brushless GWS motor anywhere.

I still want that white NPS Spitfire.

And oh yeah, get that "Speedy Wing" selling.
If that isn't a sure winner of a plane I don't know what would be.
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Old May 24, 2009, 08:07 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryQ

??? GWS USA should have them in stock, retail about $70USD i know the factory has them.
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old May 24, 2009, 09:44 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
I was out flying my GWS Zero today. It is quite sharp looking, I painted it and made my own markings with stick-on Monokote and even bent up some some aluminum tube exhausts. People at the field love seeing it fly and I get lots of compliments. I tell them how inexpensive the kits are and how nice they fly.
But none of them are even considering getting a GWS kit because they either don't have the skill to build it or don't want to spend the time. The slow stick is the only one I see in numbers at the field. Everyone has pre-built ARFs and RTF. Parkzone Trojans and Corsairs abound. Parkzone sells a lot of replacement parts, but they are hanging on the LHS wall or available quickly.

If GWS would build up some EPO 190s, P-40s, and AT-6s as ARFs and get them into hobby shops they would sell a ton of them. I dont see why they couldn't get the same prices as the ParkZone stuff. They could also be moving more of their electrics selling Plug and Play planes with eveything installed but the radio receiver. Have each model available as a PNP, ARF, and unpainted NPS kits for us hardcore guys. Maybe even go the full RTF route and sell a complete package. Optional retracts as well?

Could GWS produce a PNP warbird for $180.00 retail? With a decent powered brushless motor, like the PZ Corsair's 480.

They would also need to come out with a new plane every 6 months or so
To keep the warbird fans buying GWS. Come out with a big (40") Mustang, even though everyone makes a 'Stang, but people want them. Maybe come out with a WWII fighter that hasn't been done much, like the P-39, Wildcat or Hurricane. I'd buy a big GWS EPO Ki-61 Hein (Tony) in a heartbeat!

Look how many people are foaming at the mouth for the next ParkZone warbird, and I guarentee I will see scads of them at the field the weekend after they hit the stores.

I want to see GWS do well so I can keep getting new unpainted NPS warbirds.
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Old May 25, 2009, 02:05 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
I've had a GWS AT6 hanging from the ceiling of my local hobby shop for a few months now that is basically a PnP version. I built it to sell on consignment to see if it would sell as a PnP. That and I also enjoy building the NPS white foam versions. Lot's of lookers, but no buyers. From what I understand there hasn't really been a whole lot of anyone buying the RTF and PnP Parkzone planes either. The plane flys great with only a slight tendency to drop a tip at slower speeds. If it sells, great, I will use the money to fund another NPS white plane to build and put back up on consignment.

I may just take it out of consignment and put flaps on it and just keep it. My point is that, sadly, even the PnP and RTF planes aren't really selling well now either.

As is on consignment:
Turnigy 2217 16turn 1050kv Outrunner (480 class?) with GWS 10x6 HD prop
Turnigy Plush 30amp ESC
Rhino 1550 20C 3S Lipo
Flying weight is 22.5 ounces if I remember right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry076
...Could GWS produce a PNP warbird for $180.00 retail? With a decent powered brushless motor, like the PZ Corsair's 480...
I think I have about $125 retail costs invested into the plane (PnP), minus the build time. Add in a nice cheap $50 2.4ghz radio and you've got an RTF plane for $175. $180 RTF is certainly doable. For $180 a PnP version would be extremely profitable, but the question is, "will it sell?"

I think the trick would be to get a PnP version for around $100 retail. There is some profit there if you're dealing with wholesale prices for the builds.

Maiden Flight Video:
Haiduk's GWS AT6 Texan 03-08-2009 (5 min 47 sec)

Some pictures:
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
Last edited by haiduk; May 25, 2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:36 AM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,304 Posts
I am no computer expert but this thread has been running for 54 days now and there are still comments that the website is out of date?

My GWS models have always been commented on favourably (except my C47)even down to the ease of repair but it is only very recently that another member of the club has purchased one (an EPO P40, he is very happy with it) I can never understand it except that most of the members are a little on the old side and prefer something they think is easier to fly.
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old May 25, 2009, 09:56 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Wes,

Thank you very much for your kind words. GWS Pizza is still in lines. Probably it's HARD to be packed into a small carton, and lots of hobby shops hate to order this pizza owing to the extra shipping costs, so they simply said "No More".

Yes, GWS pico birds and older birds are park flyer style ones, they are easier for people who would like to fly in parks or schoold yards or even back yards. That's why we're discussing about releasing the RTF Pico Stick-F.

Chen
GWS CHEN is online now Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 25, 2009, 10:10 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
Has there been any thought to making the wing able to be rolled up? if it was able to fit in a tube or box . It could then be unrolled and glued to the foam fuselage and that would give it a solid shape.

I know this can work because I tried it with one of the Pizzas I had. I put creases in the foam from side to side so it would roll up.
It was still plenty strong when unrolled and glued on.
If it was not for the cost I would love to be a GWS dealer. But that seems unlikely.
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2009, 10:11 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryQ
Cut out the middleman, there's not that many anyway, take the profit yourself and the consumer can all the good products that we haven't seen.

I've yet seen one brushless GWS motor anywhere.

And oh yeah, get that "Speedy Wing" selling.
If that isn't a sure winner of a plane I don't know what would be.
Thank you for these ideas, would you visit www.caliberhobby.com for GWS brushless motor and NPS Spitfire. I'd have to discuss the "Speedy Wing" with Boss.

Chen
Old May 25, 2009, 10:20 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Wes,

Thank you for this smart idea. This is helpful with its packing.
As for the dealership, would you contact service@gwsus.com of GWS USA. My colleague over there would be more than happy to furhter help you.

Chen
Old May 26, 2009, 05:51 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Larry & Hiduk,

Thank you for these good ideas, besides of the profitable prices quoted on these RTF birds, we still have to take the carton size of each RTF kit into our account as the increased shipping costs have turned down many orders recently. The postage of sending a kit might be as expensive as the retail price of this kit if sent by air speed post, the EMS.

Chen
Old May 26, 2009, 05:56 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Mtbrider,

Thank you for your comments. I'd believe that most of GWS airplanes are commented well. Hopefully, you would like to build and fly most of them.

Chen