HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:19 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,657 Posts
Discussion
Ideas for increasing GWS' presence on market at minimum cost

Hi Friends,

Our good friend, Roger Lombard, has started a good thread since last week talking about maintaining market presence of GWS. Many good friends have posted their valued words over there, another good friend, Nsg, has suggested to start a sticky thread for the same purpose.

I've discussed this great idea with boss, and we all agree that most of your suggestions posted were very constructive and helpful. We'd like to hear more ideas in this regard, and boss will keep all your words in mind and even treat them as the subjects of the meetings held by GWS management team in the future.

I'll try to apply this thread into a sticky one as soon as possible.

Your ideas will be highly appreciated by GWS. Thank you all in advance for your great help.

Best Regards,
Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Apr 08, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:50 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,123 Posts
Edit: sarcasm and flames are off-topic. Ideas, however brilliant, that require significant initial investment (new moulds; new kits, entering full-size aircraft production business, etc.) are off-topic. Let's try and keep this constructive and focused. GWS may or may not act on those ideas, but at least we tried.

(Ok, I'll try to get this started)

Formosa II: plywood motor mount similar to either this or this . Applicable to most other kits as well.
LG mount and aluminum LG similar to this

GWS-40: a plywood or plastic backplate for the stock spinners. Scale rotating retracts (retract back, rotate wheel flat with the wing)

GWS Corsair, possibly GWS-4: rotating retracts.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Last edited by nsg; Apr 02, 2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: try to keep the silliness out
Old Apr 02, 2009, 08:18 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Forget about brushed motors with your kits.Try to have a motor mount setup and battery space setup that will allow us to use what we allready have(small brushless and lipos) it gets a bit tiresome to have to hack at a new kit.
Oh...the point is moot as I forgot what a gws kit looks like though I would BUY one if it was available.
Planes is your strength...maybe not EDF so much,but planes....never mind the rest.
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:43 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,498 Posts
Folks - let not turn this into a "I wanna <fill in the blank> model 'cuz it would be sooo kool" thread. GWS need help and they are ASKING US for input. Thanks Roger for getting this going.

Mr Lin and Staff. Stay true to your roots. My two cents... improve your supply line. When I started into the hobby five years ago, I could walk into almost any hobby shop and touch a GWS model. Nothing like opening the box on the counter and having folks and strangers peering in and commenting on the model. Yeah - the kits are available on line but that is so impersonal. Folks get kits they can touch and because GWS kits are reasonably prices, an impulse purchase is (was) not unusual. There was a lot of finger pointing all about GWS USA. I don't know all the political issues but to me, the best way to get back going is to sell kits. To sell kits, you have to get them out to the consumer. Build or re-build the personal relationship to the local hobby shops and we will buy your products.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Apr 02, 2009, 08:37 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
893 Posts
James has pretty much nailed it. I bought my first GWS Corsair because it was on the shelf at the LHS. Now if I want a GWS plane I have to order it online or at the LHS. The manager (who is a great guy, BTW) gladly orders them for me, I'm hoping he will get the hint and put a few on the shelf.
Blearly has a great point also. I suggest you include brushless mounts in all of the kits with instructions on how to utilize them. For a point of reference, all of my GWS planes are brushless/lipo.
As an aside, I have noticed the most recent kits I have assembled were molded pretty good. Some also included the nifty pushrod connectors you guys make. My dads P-51 had nice coil landing gear and wheels.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:09 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,123 Posts
The last LHS within 15 min, drive from me just folded... have to mail-order glue now. I'm not exactly in the boonies, this is Philadelphia suburbs.

Second the point on brushless. I have two brushed sets - bought a GWS-38 kit that was cheaper than an NPS - and I doubt I'll be able to give them away for free.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:49 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
I would like to say that GWS is making the strides in some areas to get the share back. Good case in point is the new GWS EDF-50's with the brushless motors. If the quality is good enough on these units you will get more of the market on the micro stuff than you have before as you will no longer need to buy the 50's then upgrade. This way you get waht you want off the bat.

Point being is brushless is where it is at and GWS you are heading that way. Keep at it with the ideas others have posted and you will start re-claiming your position in the market.

On a side note I too wish GWS made some good retracts. Especially to put in thier models I do buy. Rotating or otherwise, that is another area you could get a foothold in if time was invested and quality controlled enough.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Apr 03, 2009, 02:10 PM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
Hello,
I'm trying to write some reports in french RC newspaper upon GWS birds or products (brushless motors, Digital servos) to make french flyers aware of those good GWS products...
it's free for GWS, and I hope it will help them to sell more planes and stuff here in France!
Bye,
sebsoupe
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Old Apr 03, 2009, 02:35 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay
I would like to say that GWS is making the strides in some areas to get the share back. Good case in point is the new GWS EDF-50's with the brushless motors. If the quality is good enough on these units you will get more of the market on the micro stuff than you have before as you will no longer need to buy the 50's then upgrade. This way you get what you want off the bat.

Point being is brushless is where it is at and GWS you are heading that way. Keep at it with the ideas others have posted and you will start re-claiming your position in the market.

On a side note I too wish GWS made some good retracts. Especially to put in their models I do buy. Rotating or otherwise, that is another area you could get a foothold in if time was invested and quality controlled enough.

Jason
Why they haven't jumped all over producing high power bl EDF 30, 40, and 50 fans is beyond me.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Apr 03, 2009, 06:40 PM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
195 Posts
My customers are losing interest in GWS kits due to the lack of new releases promised in 2008. I think we were spoiled by the large number of new kits released in 2008. At one time I had a very long waiting list for the U2. Not now, they are spending their money on other manufacturer's products. We still sell alot of the GWS items: servos, esc, etc but not many of the old kits. There are new and exciting kits being offered by competitors to GWS.

Apparently GWS has a warehouse with many kits they need to sell. Surely they know the cost of money they have tied up in the warehouse. I suggest GWS consider increasing the amount of discount offered to the LHS so we can pass it along to our customers.

Create some cash flow and get something into the market.
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2009, 12:35 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Highlights of points so far:

Work on the supply chain - especially in the US

Alternative motor mounts to recognise majority of motors these days are b/l and radial mounted (either front or rear).

Do NOT be constrained by the need to promote GWS b/l motors - let the market choose their preference

Retracts - if they are good and you can do it for an acceptable investment.

Liquidate stocks to generate cash flow?

Plug and Play EDF units but RELIABLE and with a decent motor in 30,40,50 size?

We can all have ideas about bringing out an added value version of one of the GWS kits but what this thread needs is some focus.

GWS and GWS alone know which one (or two) models in the range they would most like to see with lifted sales. There could be a variety of reasons - it was always a good seller, it was the one with a few cents extra profit in it, it had very low defect rate coming out of the moulds so was lower unit cost to produce, etc etc

Chen, may I suggest you sit down with Mr Lin and decide which models you would most like to see a sales lift on - you don't have to declare why - but give us a clue and then we can focus on low investment value-adding suggestions applicable to that, or those, specific models.

I feel sure that the idea of upgrading the present range will give a lift to sales at lower cost than introducing new models but if I was Mr Lin I wouldn't want (and probably couldn't afford) a scattergun approach. I'd want a careful and tight focus to get one or two of the "MkII" models to market to evaluate their sales and profitability performance. If the idea works then I'm sure we can all work together to develop ideas around other products in the range till we've got them all covered.

Which would you - GWS - like them to be? NOTE to other readers - my point is that GWS have an inside track on their own production,selling and inventory costs so they, and only they, know where any investment at all is best targeted. Anyone else saying "I think it should be ....." is just blowing fluff into the works. And yes, I know I started my original thread with suggestions about the bipes but that was to get things going.

We can help GWS but we need a pointer as to where we should focus...

Having said, that if you have an LHS that can tell you which models they managed to move off the shelves quickest - over a period of time, not just with a new model launch - that might be helpful info. It's the sort of thing GWS USA should be researching daily and feeding back to GWS HQ but I'm sceptical about whether it happens...
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 04, 2009, 02:29 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,108 Posts
What about improving your web site a little ? The last time I looked those videos were poor low resolution ones that didn't particularly inspire. Also, those recent reviews in the UK press - the GWS 38 and the P-40 were pretty positive with the one in RCM & E painted up and looking rather fine. Maybe encourage some more.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Apr 04, 2009, 03:11 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Good point - spinning up a web site costs little these days and, similarly, taking some updated movies and putting them on the site would be a great idea. Even adding links to ones that members of this forum have posted in either the RCG video forum or on youtube would be good but there's no substitute for a decent professionally done movie and download speeds these days bear no comparison to what they were when the movies were originally posted on the GWS website.

You could then get the major distributors such as Caliber in the US and Perkins in the UK to provide links back to the site.

It would also cost zippo to get your UK importer to add an "available to special order" section to include those (many) GWS kits that they no longer, or never have, imported. OR better still, if you have got an overstock situation of such models ship them on consignment to JP's warehouse (for those who may not know that would mean that JP didn't get billed for the kit until they invoiced it out to an LHS). Quadtrans/Quadtrans EDF/BN2/BN2 EDF are just four kits that spring to mind.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:05 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,123 Posts
.. Lower the shipping charges at Caliber, or at least make them more flexible. Postage for a few props should not be $10.

Wrt focusing on a few models - seems reasonable. Then again, nobody prevents GWS doing it internally - we can provide feedback on all models, GWS should choose which one to focus on.

Second the point on NOT promoting GWS motors at the expense of a model kit. There are several brand names that - for now - sell at premium (in the States, anyway), the rest are treated as commodity.
Last edited by nsg; Apr 04, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2009, 02:33 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
I agree about updating the website. New, better looking movies would be great! Also, the "News" tab only shows news up through 2006.
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71