SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:07 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Discussion
RC Logger All in One Itís time to criticize!

Most of you guys already know me Iím a heli guy just like you. I donít do programming or engineering for living but I like doing that as a hobby. I need your honest opinions and suggestions what features would you like to see and how to improve my application? . If you donít like or like something please donít be afraid to shout and let me know so I can make it the way you wanted to be.

Iíve been working lately to create cheap tool for our RC hobby. At first I looked at Eagletree but the price was very high once you start adding all add-ons. When I wanted to buy I asked myself is it a good toy bang for the buck? My answer was easy and simple ďnot reallyĒ because besides logging it doesnít do anything else. I started to make a tool RC Logger All in One, probably not the best but it should do the job.
RC Logger All in One:
You can log Battery Voltage, Temperature and brushless motor RPMs.
2 Low Voltages Alarms using buzzer. The first High Voltage Alarm is preliminary alarm which let you know the battery is getting low and second Low Voltage Alarm is the last warning to let you know that if you donít land now, you are about to lose power.
It should work with helicopters and airplanes.
Samples takes every 1 second but Iím thinking to add feature that you can change the delay time from 1-60 seconds. (please let me know if it is a useful feature or not)
Total recording time using 1 second delay between samples up to 75 minutes.
You would need Serial Port on your computer or Serial to USB adapter approximately $10 (sold by 3rd party) in order to use it.

For Application Iím using Excel. The reason Iím using Microsoft Excel because most of you guys have it on your computer and you can always customize it the way you want to. The main feature in Log graph is zoom in statistics. Whenever you zoom in the graph, statistics will always show whatever is visible on the graph. See the video for details.

If you donít use logger feature every time you fly but at least you can use Low Voltage Alarms every time you fly. To measure RPMs I donít use magnets, optical or IR sensors just one wire must be connected to any of the 3 wires between ESC and brushless motor.

Some of you might ask about Current logging but the feature will not be here due to extra cost and I really want to keep it cheap and affordable for everybody. My target price for the product is $30. Please take in consideration that it will NOT be assembled in China because Iím just RC flier who wishes to make one useful multi featured toy for our hobby. On the other hand current doesnít tell us much only battery voltage and rpms are important. When battery is old or weak it will not produce enough current to keep rpms high but weak or old battery can tell us under load low voltage and warn us about battery problem. Lower voltage + Lower rpmís = Weak Battery

RC Logger All in One will be upgradable by downloading newer firmwareís to add features but you would need Max233 adapter (sold by 3rd party) otherwise you can build it yourself for $3.

I can add a lot more features for example logging multiple batteries, temperature sensors; strobe led light system, log bec and etc. Please let me know what you wish to see. Iíve been working for the past 3 weeks to create a good template for logger and Iím still not finished. Please tell me how do you like the template for logger. The data in the video is not real, this is just to show how it works.

See the video in full screen and enable HD by clicking on HD icon and then logo.

RC Logger All in One Beta (5 min 52 sec)
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Last edited by Almaz; Apr 01, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:45 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Sign me up for one When can you ship me one?
Vaffel is offline Find More Posts by Vaffel
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:47 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaffel
Sign me up for one When can you ship me one?
Once it is ready, tested and approved by me then I'll start selling them I'm still working on it but hopefully it'll be finished within 2-3 month.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:50 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
nice, would also like to see a prototype if you want someone to test it out. Just let me know.

---

Have a few questions tho, how is this fitted on the heli? Can the rpm-sensor be fitted (or the wire soldered on) every kind of (regular) brushless motors? How is the data transmitted for live feed?

I would love to see a barometer to measure the altitude. Also put in an option to change to metric measurments (celcius, meters etc)
Last edited by Vaffel; Apr 01, 2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:00 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Have a few questions tho, how is this fitted on the heli? Can the rpm-sensor be fitted (or the wire soldered on) every kind of (regular) brushless motors? How is the data transmitted for live feed?

I would love to see a barometer to measure the hight. Also put in an option to change to metric measurments (celcius, meters etc)
Logger itself should be small just a little bigger than ESC or so. To measure RPMs you just solder one wire from Logger to any of the three wires of brushless motor. It doesn't have an option for live feed but the option in Excel that you can see statistics in zoomed in chart. See the video. Celsius will be added to Excel template in the future. This is the beauty of Excel. If anything like that is missing, anyone can add it and share templates with each other. The most important just to get the data from logger to Excel and then anyone can manipulate with data by creating different charts and different options.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:03 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
So, what about a barometer? Would be sweet to see the altitude. And how is the data transmitted? Or do you have to collect the data from the box later?
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
So, what about a barometer? Would be sweet to see the altitude. And how is the data transmitted? Or do you have to collect the data from the box later?
Barometer is not planned yet because of the cost of extra equipment. All the data collected after flight from logger to pc.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:35 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Do you have a pic of the logger?
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:49 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP
Do you have a pic of the logger?
Not yet, everything on breadboard. Once the firmware and Excel template is finished I can start working on PCB. I'm still trying to figure it out the best temp sensor and buzzer to use. Buzzer will be separate from Logger connected by 2 wires. Before I even start working on PCB I need to know what features I will add or not add to the final prototype because every major feature might require tiny PCB modification due to additional parts.

Gino how would you like for buzzer to sound after first and after second alarm beeping, continuing sound and etc?
Last edited by Almaz; Apr 01, 2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:58 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,098 Posts
Sounds very interesting - the other thing that I would like is a way of knowing how many mAH left in a battery - is that possible ?

Cheers,
Mike.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:07 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
Sounds very interesting - the other thing that I would like is a way of knowing how many mAH left in a battery - is that possible ?

Cheers,
Mike.
Current / Mah might be added in the future but not within a year. For now the only way to add Mah by using formula for time and battery voltage but it's not 100% accurate.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:32 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
For the buzzer, intermittent for the first warning and then a continuous beep for the final warning makes sense. It's like the lipo is flat lining ha ha.

However, the more relevant features for me will be voltage, amp draw, and rpm. This will allow me to evaluate a new component, setup, and battery. A logger will help me put empirical data to support my reviews, specially with new lipos. But i understand what you are doing. Keeping costs down is a very good and thoughtful objective.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Apr 01, 2009, 08:01 AM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
You need to seriously reconsider not measuring current. Be inventive... but do it. Without current, it's only a glorified voltage alarm. Maybe I can help you...

FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Apr 01, 2009, 01:12 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP
For the buzzer, intermittent for the first warning and then a continuous beep for the final warning makes sense. It's like the lipo is flat lining ha ha.

This is what I wanted to do at first but continuous beep might blend in with motor noise and you will not be able to hear it. I think beeping sound is better for second final alarm.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joined Nov 2002
615 Posts
This is what I'd like to have in a logger

Servo positions for (throttle/pitch) cyclic elevator rudder. You'd have an animation of stick movements. (Does eagletree's elogger have this function?)
Head speed, total voltage and current draw, and individual current draw of servos, lets say up to 4 channels.

Samplings every 1/100s. I believe you need a high sampling rate to view sudden voltage dips that cause brownouts to receivers (certainly higher than the regular voltage meter).

SD card or similar that saves logged data.
Possibly also real time into excel.
For a cheap version:
Headspeed, total voltage and current draw, bec's voltage and current draw, high sampling rate.
Luap is offline Find More Posts by Luap
Last edited by Luap; Apr 01, 2009 at 02:01 PM.