Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
126 Posts
Discussion
What happens when using LiPo battery recommended for 40A ESC into a 30A ESC?

Hi,

I have the T-34 Mentor, which comes with a 25 size brushless motor and a 40A ESC using a 11.1 3s 3200 mAh LiPo. This gets this big plane 10 minutes of flight.

I was thinking of getting the Corsair from Parkzone which comes out of the box with this:

*Motor Size: 480-size 960Kv outrunner brushless motor (installed)

•Speed Control: E-flite Pro 30A Brushless with Switch-Mode BEC (installed)
•Recommended Battery: 3S 11.1V 1800mAh Li-Po (included)

I was wondering if I could use my 3S 11.1V 3200mAh Li-Po in he above system, gaining significant more flying time with the Corsair but still using the max power of is engine without damage it. Is this ok? (assuming the extra weight of he battery does not affect too much he plane's behavior).

I am quite new to this so sorry if I am asking something dumb.

Thanks in advance!
Fernlope is offline Find More Posts by Fernlope
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:02 AM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernlope
I was wondering if I could use my 3S 11.1V 3200mAh Li-Po in he above system, gaining significant more flying time with the Corsair but still using the max power of is engine without damage it. Is this ok? (assuming the extra weight of he battery does not affect too much he plane's behavior).
Yes, it's just like strapping on a bigger fuel tank. However, you're going to have to watch that the extra weight doesn't throw off the center of gravity. Make sure it balances at the recommended CG with the new battery and you should be ok.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:05 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,331 Posts
No problem using the larger battery, the motor will only draw what it needs (stick with the stock prop to keep the amp draw where it should be). You will probably run into a weight or CG problem as that battery you want to use is a lot heavier than the stock battery. It is also probably bigger, too. It might not even fit in the battery compartment. You should be able to get the size and weight of the stock battery from Parkzone's website and compare the numbers to the one you would like to use.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller