SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by BD Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:08 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Build Log
Slow Stick AP build

In the upcoming weeks, I will be building an AP Slow Stick.

I am using the following.

Electronics

Motor: Power Up 450 with the Stick Mount

ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 25

Servos: HXT 12K's (a bit overkill, but there just laying around in my house, so why not put them to use )***UPDATE: I've decided to use an 8 gram no-name servo for the elevator, and a TowerPro SG90 servo on the rudder.

Battery: Mystery 2200mAh 3s

Receiver: Spektrum AR6100

Other Parts and modifications

I'm going to substitute the stock SS wing for the Miss 2 wing. Joe Bennett came up with the idea for his SSV2. I was going to build the SSV2, but the old style aluminum Slow Stick booms are hard to find, and expensive if you do find them.

Landing gear: LG/camera mount

I will be reinforcing the tail with Carbon Fiber tape.

I will also be using various parts from Radical RC, such as the pusher motor mount (which I will probably use as a tractor mount), battery tray mount, steerable tail wheel mounting kit, and other parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be ordering most of these parts this week. Stay tuned for lots of updates and build pics. And once I get this all built, I have a digital camera that takes HD video that I am going to put on this plane. I will also be taking still pictures with my other digital camera.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Last edited by BD Flyer; May 18, 2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:03 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I ordered the Slow Stick (NPS) today. I will order the motor as soon as it is in stock, along with the parts from Radical RC and the landing gear/camera mount.

I already have the receiver, battery, servos, and esc.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I finally got everything ordered.

I added up the total price for everything. It was right under $200.

I won't be buying another plane for a while...
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Well, everything is now here. I will start building tonight if I have the time.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:26 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
I starting to think about that pusher setup. Figuring out the dual motor, props, and ESCs is starting to be a headache for me. I can do a simple HC Towerpro setup with that pusher mount.

Humm...

Well I'm watch'n for pictures and test results!

Question for you....which pusher angle did you choose? They list Zero, 5, 12 (stock) and so on. And what does this mean?
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Last edited by Pudknocker71; Apr 20, 2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudknocker71
I starting to think about that pusher setup. Figuring out the dual motor, props, and ESCs is starting to be a headache for me. I can do a simple HC Towerpro setup with that pusher mount.

Humm...

Well I'm watch'n for pictures and test results!

Question for you....which pusher angle did you choose? They list Zero, 5, 12 (stock) and so on. And what does this mean?
That is the perch dihedral for the wing mounts. If you just want the motor mount itself, you can select to have ''no perches'' when you order it. I believe it is $4 less or something like that. I ordered the mount with 0 degree dihedral perches because the wing I am putting on it has no dihedral in the middle.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I think i'm gonna have to use different servos. Those HXT 12K's weigh nearly 2 ounces a piece.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
HXT900 are our crowd favorite. Site shows .32oz each. Our analog scale barely registered one.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
HXT900 are our crowd favorite. Site shows .32oz each. Our analog scale barely registered one.
Yup, I love those HXT900's. I think I might have a couple spares somewhere around my house. I just have to find them.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 03:58 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I got the motor and battery mount built and painted. I added some carbon fiber tape to the bottom of the horizontal stab. I also put the Miss 2 wings together. I'm now waiting for a vertical stab mount from Radical RC, and I have to stop at the LHS to pick up some blenderm tape & a tail wheel. Until then, i'll be working on this plane slowly. Can't wait to get it finished!
Last edited by BD Flyer; Apr 30, 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
It's coming together...

I decided to throw some of the parts together today just to see what this ''thing'' is going to look like.
Old May 01, 2009, 06:00 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Well....the gold motor matches the wing. Hope I get my order in today myself.

Look'n good BD.
Old May 01, 2009, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Well....the gold motor matches the wing. Hope I get my order in today myself.

Look'n good BD.
Haha... thanks.

I actually didn't even notice that the motor matches the wings...
Old May 01, 2009, 09:37 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
So what do you think of that camera mount? I've gotten it sitting in the shopping cart off his site, but not sure I want to spend that much money. I could just spend $15 on the strip of aluminum and hardware, take a few hours, and be done with it. But I'm torn between being cheap, or being lazy.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old May 02, 2009, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook
So what do you think of that camera mount? I've gotten it sitting in the shopping cart off his site, but not sure I want to spend that much money. I could just spend $15 on the strip of aluminum and hardware, take a few hours, and be done with it. But I'm torn between being cheap, or being lazy.
I did the same thing. It took me a couple weeks before I finally decided to order that landing gear/camera mount. I figured that it would cost about $15 for the aluminum and hardware (like you said), and another $5 for the wheels. That's $20 right there, not to mention driving to hardware stores (probably more than one) and spending about an hour and a half looking for all of the parts. Then you would have to drive back home, spend about 2 more hours building the landing gear. And you have the risk of messing it up.

So... IMO, it was worth paying an extra $15-$20 for somebody else to do all that.