Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:51 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
New Product
ACE 3S 2250mah 25C Lipo (Flight) - Discussion & Review

I received my ACE 3S 2250mah 25C lipo review pack via UPS from Mr. Ling at "ACE Racing Battery" today, who was kind enough to send out a sample for testing and comparison.

From previous reviews I have read, ACE has made some well received hard-cased racing batteries. This is one of their first forays into lipos geared towards electric flight. It is encased in a softer, shrink-wrap style covering, which is lighter than hard-cased batteries and is what most of us are used to for electric flight.

The lipo arrived well-packaged. It was wrapped in bubble packaging inside of a nicely printed box, which was also very securely wrapped in bubble packaging around the outside of it.

The dimensions of the battery are approximately 105mm long x 35mm wide x 25mm tall. It weighs in at 180 grams. The shrink wrap completely covers the cells on all sides and the pack is thin enough that I don't believe there is any sort of spacers in between the cells. If you need a compact battery, this can be a very good thing. If your plane tends to get very hot in the battery compartment, you'll want to make sure you find a way to provide some airflow to cool this battery during flight, most likely. It came with a Deans-style connector pre-soldered onto it. The balance tap is a JST-XH plug (same as Align/E-Flite/Zippy, etc.).

I promptly placed it on my CellPro 10S charger with a charge setting of "Accurate Charge" and a charge rate of 1C. You couldn't ask for a battery to arrive with much better of a storage voltage. It read as 50% charged with an individual cell voltage of 3.873 on all three cells. After it completed its first charging cycle, the voltage read 4.195 per cell. It took 29 mins and 42 secs to complete the charge, and put 879mah into the pack.

I'll compare the static performance numbers tomorrow on a stock Phase3 F-16 power system, and then on a CustomCDR Triple EDF motor, 60A ESC, and 5-bladed Alfa fan.

- Dave
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Last edited by PerlAddict; Mar 30, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2009, 09:30 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Just an update on these ACE packs. Here are some IR readings and CellPro graphs. I don't know what is considered "good," but the Ace pack with one discharge on it had a much better IR than my Loong Max pack, which probably has at least a dozen or two cycles on it. I wanted to test it compared to my ThunderPower 3S 2200mah 25C v2 pack, but I forgot to run the pack earlier this week and it still had a full charge.

However, I picked up three of Thunder Power's newest 3S 2200mah 30C "Pro Power" packs at SEFF. Rather surprisingly, all of the cells' IR ratings were around 3.5 to 3.9 ohms, whereas the ACE pack was at 3.1 ohms on the first two cells and 3.7 ohms on the last one. The Thunder Power reading was on a brand new charge from 25%. I tested my ACE battery's IR after charging it from a 50% shipped charge and then flying it once, so I'll do the same on the Pro Power's. But as of right now, the ACE batteries actually have lower IR readings than my Pro Power 30C packs. I ran the ACE pack in a Phase3 F-16 on the stock system. Several WOT runs and ran the battery down to around 10%. There is no airflow in the battery tray whatsoever, but the pack still came down with just barely any warmth to it. My Loong Max packs usually come down bordering on the "hot" side, so that was a very nice change. I'd imagine the lower IR is playing a decent role in how cool the ACE pack was.

I wanted to run some tests in my Alfa A-4, since it's one of my hotter 3S EDF setups, but the rotor spun off and I haven't had a chance to put it back on yet and test it out.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:33 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
For comparison's sake, here are the readings from my Loong Max 3S 2200mah 20C packs.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:18 PM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
658 Posts
Having some other popular threads in mind, is this lipo capable of 5C charge?

/Håkan
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Old May 28, 2009, 11:16 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
ACE doesn't recommend charging at more than 2C.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 07:19 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,630 Posts
Why does it have a warning on the box regarding cancer and other reproductive harm? Is their lead in this product? I've never seen that warning on any other lipo's before.

The spelling errors on the packaging are a little disturbing as well. "Hight Discharg". Funny, they spell it right on their website.
http://rc-battery.com/2600mah-111v-2...037425872b35d8

Edit: Never mind, the typo seems to be limited to their 2200 packs, and it shows the same on the website. It's right on the 2600's though.

They seem to work alright though. How was the pricing on them?
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Jul 02, 2009, 05:17 PM
Jerez De La Frontera La Parra, Spain
Joined Oct 2004
134 Posts
hello!
where are the price of lipo baterries

thanks
nobita is online now Find More Posts by nobita
Old Jul 02, 2009, 11:27 PM
Joined May 2009
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict
all of the cells' IR ratings were around 3.5 to 3.9 ohms, whereas the ACE pack was at 3.1 ohms on the first .....
May I guess you were trying to say x.x miliohms instead of the unit thousand times bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuegodeth
The spelling errors on the packaging are a little disturbing as well. "Hight Discharg". Funny, they spell it right on their website.

I've point this several times in the local forums, but they just seem want to save every cent on the printed stickers. Can't believe they leave this to overseas customers.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Jul 03, 2009, 01:56 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
I want to point out that starting IR readings are to be taken lightly unless they are very far out of the ordinary.

What is important is how the IR changes with the number of cycles on the lipos. Meaning I don't think after 50 cycles on both the TP PP lipo and the ACE pack you will see the ACE pack beating the TP PP pack.

We shall see...

Bryan
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
acepow
ShenZhen
Joined Dec 2008
9 Posts
Hello,

We will attend the Ihobby expo in October,our company want to employ the parttime worker during the exhibition,is there any one has interest and near to Chicago.if have interest,please contact with me.

Thanks

acepow.ltd@gmail.com
acepowling is offline Find More Posts by acepowling