HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:37 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
I have used plastic credit card mounts on three planes so far. All are working very well.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:43 AM
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Hadano
Joined Dec 2006
217 Posts
It fly very nicely but durability is the major issue of Hokusei EPP planes. Slight stress, minor clash, tears fuse very easily. After flying many times, EPP become soft, and also dirty like a rag.
sumomo is offline Find More Posts by sumomo
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:49 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumomo View Post
It fly very nicely but durability is the major issue of Hokusei EPP planes. Slight stress, minor clash, tears fuse very easily. After flying many times, EPP become soft, and also dirty like a rag.
I have Hokusei planes that are almost 2 yeas old and they still fly great. In general, EPP will soften over time due to the stresses of flight. I find that Hokusei planes require less maintenance than the 2 RC Factory planes I've owned. The durability is fine if you pay attention to a few key areas like the nose and the landing gear slot. I cover these areas with fibre tape. I fly my planes _VERY_ hard (check the videos on this thread) and I crash them often. Repairs, if required, generally only take a few minutes.

I generally build most parts of my Hokusei planes using CA to speed up the build process, but I _never_ repair them with CA. I always use 3M Scotch 6225n or UHU Creativ for repairs. CA is a no-no for repairing these planes IMHO. I wait for the stressed areas to reveal themself and then cover them with Scotch glue. That usually takes care of things.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:50 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumomo View Post
I haven't had mine long enough, so i'll let Groovejet provide some feedback as he has many different brand EPP planes for a long time.

I will say that with my first Primus I didn't use any tape and the nose ended up being damaged, I have since rebuilt the nose and it is fine. On all of my planes since I have been adding tape to the nose and landing gear area during the build, and they are still perfect.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:13 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
I mostly fly 3DHS Balsa planes but After flying my friends "unbreakable" EPP Gee BEE a while ago I have been watching groove's threads carefully. Groove I think you have almost got me convinced the Ultima BX is the way to go. Just gotta wait for another paycheck to get some servos and batteries from HC. I have a phoenix 25 and RX all ready and ill get the same scorpion you got as I love the scorp motors. I been wanting a good cheap EPP plane that flies good and I haven't really been impressed with most foamies.
Guess Ill have to get into it soon.. -Twisted
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:16 AM
Joined Oct 2009
994 Posts
Tape inside the nose like Red Eagle. A clean and almost bomb proof construction for those type of structures. Dont ask me how I know it can take a massive beating, you can guess how
Unfortunately its hard to retrofit if the fuselage comes built. It may still be worth the surgery. Its stronger on the inside since its connected directly to the main structure and covers a very large area. Any idea what tape they are using? Looks like some sort of bandage, but it stick better than your normal bandage (maybe ironed on fabric?)
4Dim is offline Find More Posts by 4Dim
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:40 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Dim View Post
Tape inside the nose like Red Eagle. A clean and almost bomb proof construction for those type of structures.
Yes, Hokusei now glues a tough-to-tear sheet (the kind to make hinges) inside the nose.
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:00 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Will that be for only new models or the existing models?

How far back does the sheet go?
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Yes, Hokusei now glues a tough-to-tear sheet (the kind to make hinges) inside the nose.
Great news Feda, you are a great feedback loop from consumer to designer
4Dim is offline Find More Posts by 4Dim
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:12 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Thanks. Hokusei is doing this for existing models, nac.

Also, I mentioned to Hokusei that the plywood servo frames don't fit the servos that we commonly use outside Japan. Hokusei now says they are going to offer larger servo frames for markets outside Japan. (I showed them the photo of nac's 3-side credit card ones.)
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:06 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Good news.

So my next Hokusei plane will be even easier to build
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:21 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Yay! More durability and larger servo mount frames. I'd love to find servo frames in the kit that fit HXT900 servos without modification. Those servos seem to be the most common ones that people on the Hokusei threads are using.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:04 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedgrim View Post
I mostly fly 3DHS Balsa planes but After flying my friends "unbreakable" EPP Gee BEE a while ago I have been watching groove's threads carefully. Groove I think you have almost got me convinced the Ultima BX is the way to go. Just gotta wait for another paycheck to get some servos and batteries from HC. I have a phoenix 25 and RX all ready and ill get the same scorpion you got as I love the scorp motors. I been wanting a good cheap EPP plane that flies good and I haven't really been impressed with most foamies.
Guess Ill have to get into it soon.. -Twisted
Hi Twisted,

I like to think of the Ultima BX as the "3DHS Velox" of the 3D EPP planes on offer in this size. Foamies of this size don't have the momentum of larger balsa planes, but you can get a few spins and tumbles in before the plane has lost too much speed, especially if you use full throttle on a powerful setup .

Like the Velox, I feel that the Ultima BX is more of a hardcore 3D plane than a precision flyer, but it's pretty good for smooth flying in small areas. nac's videos show the plane flying more gently than my videos do. There are a few foamies in this size that will fly a little more precisely, but they can't match the Ultima BX's insane 3D wow factor IMHO .

Just curious; what characteristics of foamies have left you less than impressed in the past?
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:08 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Namely the lack of mass to them that makes them feel super floaty. Kind of not really like most RC planes. Its fun.. I have a few different ones that are like that but its nothing like balsa planes. Like I said before Im very impressed with the style of the EPP Geebee so this really looks like something I need to get. The darn chinese new year is going to screw some stuff up so ill wait a few weeks and order a full set with batteries servos etc to get it going. CC25 that I have an a scorpion like you used should make a badass flying plane.

Edot: its funny you mention the velox I have one..lnfact its my avatar there
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Feb 06, 2010, 04:18 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Twisted,

I understand. I'd been flying foamies for quite a while before I got my first 3DHS plane (a Velox 47 inch). I was shocked at how that thing would seem to glide forever compared to a 500g foamy. I now have a 1kg foamy and a 1.3kg foamy and they have more of a 47 inch or so balsa feel but are definately still foamy-like. I prefer the 500g foamies because they can take a lot of punishment (in-flight abuse and crashes) and are easy to work on, while using cheap equipment. The key thing for me for my regular flyers is to keep the power at a level that a prop saver can handle. Using prop savers substantially cuts down on nose/prop/motor shaft damage when nosing in. My heaviest planes that I am game to run prop savers on are up to about 650g AUW. Anything heavier than that and I use collet adaptors. The heavier foamies are a Kalteisen Katana 42 (plus an EPP Extra 260 NIB) and a Red Eagle Model Happy. My balsa fleet consists of 2 3DHS birds and 1 PA bird. I had another PA bird but an in-flight failure (my fault) totalled it. I just seem to get better value from my time and money sticking to foamies.