HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:23 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,874 Posts
I'm still loving my Ultima BX. Is anyone else flying one?
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:09 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Just finished mine!

I have just finished building mine. It is all setup waiting for maiden.

This is my second Hokusei plane, I already have a Primus Z. And I must say what a fantastic build, even better than the Primus. I really like the BX (box) implementation as I had no problems getting everything lined up nicely.

I did a few mods right from the start:-
- Strengthened the landing gear and motor mount with tape.
- Added some extra EPP and tape to the nose.
- Used plastic credit card for servo mounts.
- Used Scotch glue for the build including hinges. The only bits that i didn't was the control rods (CA) and the control horn on the elevator (epoxy).
- Extended the Velcro all the way back to the tail.
- Moved the internal support back a bit to allow the battery to go further back.
- Larger wheels.

Gear used:-
- 4 x HXT900 9g servos.
- Turnigy TR28-30B motor.
- AR6100 receiver.
- 10x3.8 slo-fly prop.
- Prop saver with two O rings.
- Turnigy PLUSH 30A ESC.
- One extension between the ESC and receiver.
- 1 tube of Scotch Glue.

Mine ended up weighing 400g without battery. So with a 1050 3S lipo the AUW will be around 500g, or with a 750 3s lipo it will be around 472g.
So it is about 14g lighter than my Primus, and I get around 900g static thrust from my setup. Should fly nice.

Pics coming!
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:19 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Pics.

Here are a few pics of the finished plane.
Last edited by nac; Dec 28, 2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:53 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,874 Posts
Wow!

You built this one real quick!

It looks great!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:31 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Maiden

I flew the maiden this morning. Wow! and Fantastic!

I personally like it more than my Primus Z, it is very stable and does very nice knife edge. It reckon fly's much better than my Sniper as well, in fact both of my Hokusei's fly better than the Sniper.

I did a bad landing and damaged an aileron hinge, but had that fixed is seconds. Try that with a Balsa! In fact my Ultimate AMR is still hanging on the wall as it has for the past few months....

I love these Hokusei Foamies...

Very short clip:-
Ultima BX Maiden Flight (1 min 24 sec)
Last edited by nac; Jan 05, 2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: HD Video
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:46 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,874 Posts
I just got back from a quick flying session with nac. nac was flying his Ultima BX and definately enjoying it, while I maidened my newly-built Hokusei Ultima BX (my 2nd one). It flies even better than the first one! I noticed while building the second one that the kit has been changed in a few areas since I built my original about 9 months ago. These changes appear to have increased the airframe stiffness in various areas. My new Ultima BX is even more dynamic than my original one, which is saying something since the Ultima BX is the most dynamic EPP 3D foamy I've flown. Snaps, spins, tumbles and blenders are insanely insane! I love it!

I'll provide photos and some details on the changes to the kit in the next few days.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 11:14 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Second video clip

Here is a second clip of my Ultima.

Check out about 40 seconds into the clip. I crashed!
But these planes are so good that I had no damaged and continued flying.

Ultima BX #2 - HD.mov (2 min 24 sec)
Last edited by nac; Jan 05, 2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: HD Video
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:22 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
Nice video, NAC. Under your control, the Ultima BX looks like an easy-to-handle plane in high alpha maneuvers. Thanks for showing this to us.
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Jan 06, 2010, 08:12 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,874 Posts
Yes nac, your Ultima BX looks to be well under control.

I just thought I'd provide more info on my latest Ultima BX build. My original kit was bought about 9 months ago and has been one of my favourite planes for many months. The Ultiam BX kit that I built about 1 week ago has been improved in various ways, each seemingly designed to improve stiffness. The main improvment is that the bottom flat plate of the fuselage (the "box" so to speak) continues all the way to the tail, instead of ending about 15cm before it like on my older kit. This seems to give the newer kit greater stiffness in the tail area and I think this is why the new plane is more dynamic than the old one.

I still made some mods to the new plane, but I felt that it didn't require as many mods as the older kit. I did the following on the new kit:

- I added some 10mm thick EPP behind the motor mount. I know that eventually I'll go in hard on the nose, so I'd rather add a bit of foam now to hopefully avoid a complicated nose rebuild later.

- I moved one of the internal fuselage triangular bracing piecs back about 50mm to give me the ability to get the battery further back if required.

- I sealed the aileron, rudder and elevator hinge gaps with Blenderm tape (not shown in photos).

- I added a piece of carbon fibre to brace the landing gear. I tied it on with cotton thread and then CAed and "kicked" it.

- I coated the foam area around the rudder servo wood frame with a coating of 3M Scotch 6225N glue to strengthen the foam. This is because the foam can flex a little as the servo pushes the control surface to full deflection. I felt that the other servos didn't need some extra strength.

- To further reduce the stress of the elevator servo deflecting a long way, I added a small piece of 10mm EPP inside the fuselage that fills the "gap" between the elevator servo and the other side of the fuselage. This will relieve the stress on the servo frame and surrounding area as the servo pushes hard.

The AUW is now 495g with a Rhino 3S1050 20C lipo. I've had some spectacular crashes and need to add some glue already.

I'll try to get a new video of the new Ultima BX in the next few weeks.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:23 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Crash and Repair

OK guys, I would like to show you how robust these Hokusei planes are.

Attached is a short clip of my Ultima crashing, it shows the damage and the final repair job. It took seconds to fix and then a few minutes for the glue to dry.

These planes are fantastic! They fly really well, even better than my Sniper. And when you do crash there is either no damage or very little, and that is easily repaired.

Ultima BX Crash (1 min 2 sec)
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:35 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,874 Posts
Hey Nick,

That video is awesome; even the bits that I didn't film .

Seriously, it's great. I love the extreme fuselage flex on impact. It shows how easy these EPP planes are to repair after a crash.

Now, I'm going to watch the video again .

EDIT: Here are some photos that Nick took of my Ultima BX flying in the wind.
Last edited by groovejet; Jan 08, 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:42 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Thanks. The photos aren't too bad from my iPhone.

She is all dry and ready for our next flight
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,874 Posts
Here's a quick 30 second iPhone video that nac shot of my Ultima BX last weekend. It was very windy and that made it challenging to fly really low. I gave it a shot but I didn't last very long.

http://www.vimeo.com/8757849
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:52 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Nice video fella's. Yep, it was a bit windy but you seemed to have a handle on it and you also have a really nice place to fly their also. Just an update Groovejet and Nac, Max emailed and said the Ultima's wont be out off the factory till the end of the month. Just incase anybody is thinking of ordering one from Bestvalue.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:46 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Yep that's my local park. It is a small area but very nice to fly at on a clam morning.

I just had another fly this morning with the Ultima and Sniper. All I can say is I love the Ultima.
Last edited by nac; Jan 17, 2010 at 03:58 PM.