SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:54 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Discussion
flying wing UAV

Hi there,

I open this thread describing work on a flying wing UAV.
We currently have two models (1.2 and 2 meters wingspan) capable of carrying different payloads (700 grams versus 2.5 kg)- Phoenix 1 and Phoenix 3.

Both have electric propulsion- inrunner on the small one and outrunner on the large one.

The wings are cut from EPP using carbon spars for reinforcement. Winglets are composite with synthetic core.

The small one carries FPV, OSD, IR copilot and an experimental autopilot. It will also be used for tests with commercial autopilots.

Initially we encountered some problems with fluttering on the large flying wing- we've chatted a little bit on this subject with "the creator" of Ritewings
We fixed the problem since then... and you can see the results in the pictures.

In a few hours we'll post some onboard movies taken from the small wing and ground movie with the large wing.

Best regards,
MIG-29
MIG-29 is offline Find More Posts by MIG-29
Last edited by MIG-29; May 20, 2009 at 03:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:42 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
onboard videos

Hi there,

As I promised I enclose links to onboard movies posted on youtube:
The curvature visible in the onboard movies will be corrected with an appropriate lens. The quality of the movies is lower due to non-optimum video capturing and video compression solution. We are in the process of fixing these problems. We'll keep you posted.

fma (0 min 35 sec)

MVI 0693 (0 min 16 sec)
(landing- early tests- it was a normal flying wing at that time with NO FPV, OSD, autopilot installed on it)

short follow (0 min 41 sec)
car surveillance

landing (1 min 58 sec)
- landing

2 meter wingspan flying wing (test flights):
2 m wingspan flying wing (2 min 16 sec)

Best regards,
MIG-29
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:14 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Also, don't use youtube. No matter how high quality, it will always shrink the video quality down for faster uploading. Even the HQ button only bumps the quality up slightly

And looking pretty good. Maybee push the camera forward a bit to get rid of the bloackage?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
142 Posts
What autonomous hardware are you using for your wings?

Thanks,
Mike
mhaun5 is offline Find More Posts by mhaun5
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:23 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
What do you mean by autonomous hardware?

Thanks,
MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaun5
What autonomous hardware are you using for your wings?

Thanks,
Mike
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:29 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Hi xpress,

Good observation! I will upload some movies next week. The bloackage has been eliminated

MIG-29
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG-29
What do you mean by autonomous hardware?

Thanks,
MIG-29
Sorry.. I read that the small wing uses an IR Co-Pilot based "Experimental" autopilot. You also mentioned that you were going to try some comerical ones. I was curious which systems you have flown with it? Is the "experimental" one home - grown, or?
mhaun5 is offline Find More Posts by mhaun5
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:38 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
The copilot is commercial. It is produced by FMA Direct.

The autopilot possibilities are:
1.) attopilot (not flown-future)
2.) ardupilot (not flown-future)
3.) homemade autopilot (already flown- not completed)

The 2 meter wingspan flying wing will use a general "motherboard" with powerful processor and large memory to implement shape recognition/patterns. This is as advanced as the 3.)

MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaun5
Sorry.. I read that the small wing uses an IR Co-Pilot based "Experimental" autopilot. You also mentioned that you were going to try some comerical ones. I was curious which systems you have flown with it? Is the "experimental" one home - grown, or?
Old Apr 01, 2009, 03:05 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
new glow engine flying wing -UAV platform

Hi there,

We are actively working on the design of a new flying wing propelled by a glow engine.

It will have 1.65 meters wingspan with a root chord of 0.46 meters and a tip chord of 0.21 meters. The maximum take off weight 4500 grams.
The wing surface is 55 square decimeters which gives, with the assumed 4500 grams AUW, a 82 grams per square decimeter wing loading.

The stall speed is expected to be 25 km/h and the maximum speed is expected to be 225 km/h.
We'll use a 12.25 cc Magnum XL-75A II ABC glow engine. Hopefully our materials/motor supplier will have it available soon.
It will have a Hitec dual conversion receiver installed on it and 11 kg- cm servos: Servo TMG995 BB MG Standard.
Has anyone used these servos before? Were they satisfied?
In case the servos don't satisfy us, we'll switch back to Futaba "family"

Expected autonomy: 30-35 minutes with aerobatics and up to 1 hour UAV like flying. It's possible to extend this time to 90-110 minutes.

We'll keep you updated about the progress and pictures of the end result. Right now, as I said, we are in the design phase. We expect and HOPE to have it ready to fly by the end of April month.

This wing, together with the previous electric ones, will be the workhorse for autopilot tests and other "UAV" specific tests.

Best,
MIG-29
Last edited by MIG-29; May 20, 2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 11:25 AM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG-29
The stall speed is expected to be 25 km/h and the maximum speed is expected to be 225 km/h.
I don't see how you can get that speed range without landing flaps

--Norm
nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters
Old May 20, 2009, 03:39 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
glow engine flying wing

We intend to use landing flaps for a future version. I still expect very low landing speed with AUW 3 kg on this flying wing. I will post experimental data in the near future (2-3 weeks).

The greater autonomy and payload capability should make this wing an ideal UAV platform completing our previous capabilities obtained with Phoenix-1 and 3.

I enclose below few pics of the Phoenix-2 flying wing. It has
1.7 meter wingspan,
2.5 kg empty mass,
2 kg payload mass,
480 ml fuel.

We estimate a top speed of 200-220 km/h.

Best regards,
MIG-29
Old May 20, 2009, 04:18 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Guess the limiting range pushed you away from your electrical beginnings eh?

Ahh alas everyone learns....
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old May 20, 2009, 05:27 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
There are indeed differences between glow and electric propulsion. However I wouldn't consider electric propulsion inferior to glow engine or viceversa. Each of the propulsion "methods" have their own intrinsic advantages.

Electric propulsion does not necessary mean limited range. Simplifying (maybe too much) I would say that there is some relation between wingspan/load and type of propulsion that one might choose. That's why no one has yet seen a Boeing 747 with electric propulsion- given the current known technology.

All three UAV airframes with different propulsion "methods" are available. We are currently producing all of these three models (2 electrical and 1 glow engine) and have under design a 4th one (with yet another propulsion "method") - more details on this one later.

Best regards,
MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Guess the limiting range pushed you away from your electrical beginnings eh?

Ahh alas everyone learns....