SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
He is getting 290 Watts into a 40 gram motor? That is about 7 Watts per gram and might be a world record if it is true.

Jack
Check out the vid. He isn't given to exaggeration. It REALLY pushes the plane. I felt it today.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic...ure-96464.html
A link the Harbor Freight plastic welder, the one use using compressed air seems to preferable according to reviews I read. The one with the built in fan the air flow can not be adjusted. Apparently it is important to follow the start up and stop instructions.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Check out the vid. He isn't given to exaggeration. It REALLY pushes the plane. I felt it today.
Oh yeah, it was working good for sure. I watched the video.

And I'm not even saying that he was incorrect, just that he was getting a lot more power out of a cheap Chinese motor than most of us have been able to get.

To get around the over stated claims and even bald faced lies of some of the sellers, I always ignore most their claims, look at the weight, and retreat to the 3 Watts per gram rule of thumb for average quality motors. That will usually prevent any disappointments.

I haven't found them as willing to lie about the weights...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2011
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah, it was working good for sure. I watched the video.

And I'm not even saying that he was incorrect, just that he was getting a lot more power out of a cheap Chinese motor than most of us have been able to get.

To get around the over stated claims and even bald faced lies of some of the sellers, I always ignore most their claims, look at the weight, and retreat to the 3 Watts per gram rule of thumb for average quality motors. That will usually prevent any disappointments.

I haven't found them as willing to lie about the weights...

Jack
To be perfectly accurate it was similar to a BW motor and may have a gram or two.

The key is his high temp wire he bought. It was a 205 degree F temp at the end of the flight.

He rewound mine last night and called me this AM. He told me it really "rips". I'll see what my 3000 kv puts out now.

I am a bit scared!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
The comment from the experts with my 290 input watt motor the that the heat is not power at the prop. At the time I had mine wound up I didn't have props to properly test it (and it was way to fast for anything I can fly) but the temp was probably around 150*F. The efficiency for arguments sake of my motor was say, 50% that puts 145 watts at the prop. Still allot of power out of a 2205 stator, but apparently not within the guidelines of acceptable efficiency to be taken seriously. That's what I gathered out of the experience.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:17 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Loctite 410 - Here is the tech sheet on Loctite 410, I had good luck with it but found it kind of expensive ($20 or so on eBay?). Part of the expense came from the fact that I got a small bottle that would have been enough for several stators but after I used it once and it worked well for me the remainder hardened in the (properly closed) container and the rest of it was useless to me.

I had a set of CA bottles (thin, thick... rubberized) that were useful for over 5yrs of storage in my refrigerator. After moving to my new home this year and the wife laying the line about CA in our new fridge, those bottles of CA ended up in my uninsulated garage. The IC-2000 (rubberized BSI CA) was the first bottle to brick up; took only 2months of exposure!

--> Lesson learned: Store your open bottles of CA in the fridge. <---

Rick, I never recorded stator temps above like 150F on my 328W 25gm motor. I prefer MD wire, but I value the tough insulation more than the temp rating.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined May 2011
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I had a set of CA bottles (thin, thick... rubberized) that were useful for over 5yrs of storage in my refrigerator. After moving to my new home this year and the wife laying the line about CA in our new fridge, those bottles of CA ended up in my uninsulated garage. The IC-2000 (rubberized BSI CA) was the first bottle to brick up; took only 2months of exposure!

--> Lesson learned: Store your open bottles of CA in the fridge. <---

Rick, I never recorded stator temps above like 150F on my 328W 25gm motor. I prefer MD wire, but I value the tough insulation more than the temp rating.

Kev
Newbie question. What is MD wire. Where is a good place to buy wire? MD or otherwise...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:31 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
MD is GoBrushless-Micro Dan Motors:

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ref=MDANmotors

And they sell good quality wire.

Here is another place that has a wider range of sizes and sells in larger quantities. I think the wire is of good quality also (U.S. made Essex-Superior wire):

http://techfixx.com/index.html

And there are others too of course.

Don't bother with the Radio Shack wire, it is very poor quality and comes in only one size.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Aug 21, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:04 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,788 Posts
Don't use used or Radioshack wire, will give shorts. Use thickest wire possible for desired number of turns, better for efficiency and power. Go to your local friendly motor/transformer rewinder/refurbisher or repair shop. Excellent quality, all gauges, penny stuff, you'll probably get it for free if you bring your motor along. They love it when they can handle a motor without an overhead crane And maybe let them have a spin with your plane once you finished your motor? You know, in case you need wire again for your next motor
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined May 2011
1,656 Posts
Somewhere I saw a chart with various successful winds listing kv, amps etc. I am getting the idea after some reading and now I need to calculate gage and turns. Any direction?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:22 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
Those were probably the spreadsheets from the *.zip archives on Truglodites blog page. Getting those and installing the free openoffice.org Calc software will bring you a whole new world of details to agonize over!

Truglodite's blog - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=142090

Iif you look through the attachments in this thread, you'll see some screen shots captured from those spreadsheets.

Jack
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined May 2011
1,656 Posts
I have removed wire and found a glue on two teeth. One tiny bit remains on the inside of a tooth and some of the green "paint" chipped. Can I reapply something to the tooth and do I add a little heat to remove the last of the wire.

Or have I taken the motor out of play for a rewind?

Rick
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:35 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,995 Posts
Heat will soften the epoxy, too much heat will damage the coating. I just try to peel the glue off as best I can or even trim it flat to the green with a eXacto knife without damaging the green.

If the chips are on a corner where the wire will wrap over a sharp edge it is best to try to patch the chip with a dab of epoxy, JBweld, or something like that.

If you can get wire around it without any shorts, it is still in play IMHO.

Jack
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Amen
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined May 2011
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Heat will soften the epoxy, too much heat will damage the coating. I just try to peel the glue off as best I can or even trim it flat to the green with a eXacto knife without damaging the green.

If the chips are on a corner where the wire will wrap over a sharp edge it is best to try to patch the chip with a dab of epoxy, JBweld, or something like that.

Jack
I wonder if it is similar to an epoxy paint like you would use on a fiberglass boat.