HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:44 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Thanks Kev
Yep, tape peeled off - didn't see any evidence of glue in the windings - probably gotta unwind to see that, eh?
Won't get to testing for a few weeks.
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:27 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post

FD, sorry to hear about your Mega. I just bought my first mega, also a 16-15-3, which I plan on running on a pylon moldie ship for next year.

Kev
No worries. That mega had been put through the wringer over it's 8 years of use. I ran it hard, and it put up with quite a bit of abuse. What finally did it in was a motor connection. A wire had broken at the bullet. The wires are quite short. I did the best I could to reconnect them. stripped, removed enamel, etc. However, I think I didn't get a good connection on all wires of that bullet. I ran it up no-load to test it and it smoked right there on the kitchen counter. Anyway, I think that's the cause of it. It might have had an issue prior to that, but I'm not sure. It's too bad they aren't as easy to work on as our outrunners.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
United States, WI, Avoca
Joined Dec 2003
223 Posts
Please excuse me for butting in, but can/will you tell me where I can get the small shrink tubing for putting on the wires when I rebuild or wind a new motor?
Thanks, and sorry for jumping in like this.
Prop s.
Prop stitches is offline Find More Posts by Prop stitches
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:00 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,630 Posts
Lots of places really. Radioshack, Fry's electronics, any store like that for sure. Some sizes available at home depot and walmart, but not the really small stuff usually. I'm sure you can get it online if you search, but I've never had to resort to that. I'm sure others will pop in and give some more suggestions.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:10 AM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
Stay away from the radioshack stuff if you can. It is waaaay too stiff, especially after shrinking. The tubing at HD is good. Get 3M if you can, it is very soft and shrinks incredibly well.
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:11 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,923 Posts
eBay will produce a lot of it for sale too, in a specific size or in assortments. Do a search for "heat shrink."

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Got mine from here - it's in the states
http://www.allerc.com/advanced_searc...shrink&x=0&y=0
fast delivery.

Also bought some from eBay "heatshrinktubing1" also in the states with fast delivery.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:33 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
I like the Techspray brand stuff they sell at Frys. It's very flexible, has good friction so it won't slide on the wire, and shrinks up nice and tight. I use lengths of 1/16" to cover the magwire (and Y buns if any), and a small piece of 3/16" to bundle the 3 wires near the tube. Those sizes should work for just about any rewind out there.

FWIW, Frys also sells "milspec" heatshrink. It's a lot more expensive, heavier, and less flexible, but the inside is lined with basically hotglue. So I don't use it much, but I've found the stuff is great on battery connectors.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,630 Posts
Yeah, I get all mine at Fry's. in those sizes it's like $1.19 for close to 4 feet of it. The 3/16ths is a little more, but not much.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 01:20 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,923 Posts
Do you have a part number for the Fry's heat shrink that you use? That would be helpful if anyone want to order it. A search for "heat shrink" at Fry's produces a bewildering variety of sizes.

This fibreglas braided tubular insulation that does not shrink would work well too and it is flexible and tough too. But I don't know where to find that stuff...

Jack
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:09 PM
United States, WI, Avoca
Joined Dec 2003
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Got mine from here - it's in the states
http://www.allerc.com/advanced_searc...shrink&x=0&y=0
fast delivery.

Also bought some from eBay "heatshrinktubing1" also in the states with fast delivery.

Walt
Thank you all very much for the leads to the shrink problem. I went to the site that wjbite suggested, and there it is ! Thank you all so very much.
Prop s.
Prop stitches is offline Find More Posts by Prop stitches
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:21 PM
Joined Jul 2009
13 Posts
hi

hi guys, does anyone here knows how to winds a 24 pole motor?
wingyip is offline Find More Posts by wingyip
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:02 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingyip View Post

I don't know about 24-pole, but maybe ask Steve Neu... his Neutron motor is 24-arm, 26-pole: http://www.neumotors.com/Site/1200_series.html
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:39 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingyip View Post
You have to be careful in describing what you have. Some call stator arms arms, some call stator arms poles, some call magnets poles, some call magnets magnets. And there are other terms used too.

If you want to be sure to be understood you almost have to specify counts on both and call the magnets by that name, then there is less ambiguity.

WOW! Those 1200 series motors are really neat. Over 7 Watts per gram continuous and nearly double that peak. Excuse me, I have to go down in the basement and kick all of my motors...

Jack
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Don't get too excited, Jack. Watts input does not tell you anything about watts out. Just how the motor equates to a light bulb. The early model we tested and rewound was, well, unexciting.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis