SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:42 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,538 Posts
Nice video lf. Good to see that motor is working out well.

It's always tempting to prop up when things stay cool, but it does already go vertical. A bigger prop might also push those old packs over the edge, whereas the packs could offer a few months of fun with your current prop. Nothing wrong if a bigger prop fits your style better or not... just something to think about.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:21 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,791 Posts
I propped up and now I think things are getting matched pretty well. The motor is still only getting warm. Thrust and speed are both better now. I have some of the new Turnigy nano batteries on the way. With those batteries,I think it will have a little more power still.

Great job on the rewind Kev, I couldn't be happier!

Here is a new video:

F-16 bigger prop.wmv (1 min 59 sec)
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:58 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,261 Posts
Unless it's a Secret.. What wind? Turns, gauge # of mags etc.. 2 or 3 Cells and what props wre fitted ? In the First and second Videos?
Otherwise it's only a Video
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:22 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
I have some of the new Turnigy nano batteries on the way.
I've been testing mine out, and those puppies really hum. I think you'll be pleased. But be careful -- they're like a competitive horse. Ask too much and they'll deliver, and then die.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:33 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Unless it's a Secret.. What wind? Turns, gauge # of mags etc.. 2 or 3 Cells and what props wre fitted ? In the First and second Videos?
Otherwise it's only a Video
Here are the motor details from kev:

TGY2730-14P-15T-25a-D
Rhino 3s1250 30C/Plush 25 (high timing)
Noload/23923RPM/11.54V/0.67A -> 2073Kv
APC 6x4e/18120RPM/11.78V/16.96A/26oz (measured)/77.7% (Badcock)

The prop in the first video was a TGS 6x4. In the second video I used an APC 7x5e (cause that's what I had on hand) and I think it was a better match. I don't fly WOT all the time. The motor seemed to handle this prop very well in that it didn't get hot at all.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:00 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,791 Posts
My Turnigy nano's arrived today and the weather cooperated. The F-16 has even greater power now with decent batteries, the guys at the flying field were pretty impressed how well this F-16 jet moves with a BW pushing it. I don't fly hard the whole pack, just bursts, the motor and battery came down just warm.

Kev, do you think it might be possible to do something similar with the TP 2409-12T to increase the performance and efficiency as you have done with the BW?
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:55 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
I've been loving my R&B wonders. My 12T 24AWG dlrk delta will go back to back flights of pushing my scrappy to about 100mph and comes down without any discernible warmth. It's not warm. It's neutral....ambient. I'm looking to get some of those nano 1300's to replace the 1000's I'm using in that wing right now. They are exact same dimensions and weight, but more C and 300mah more. My ABC 16 mag 12T 24AWG with 8040GWS prop really does great. I run 3s 500mah and get a 7 min flight using 275mah. The plane it's on is 8oz and has insane vertical. And I like to punch full for big vertical climbs and then work down again. It comes down with no warmth either. They are my two best motors on my two best performing planes. I'm not sure of the efficiency of either, but coming down at ambient temp is a good indicator to me. All my other non-rewound motors get quite warm during usage. These two are my best performing motors out of 10 models I fly.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Oct 06, 2010, 11:46 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,538 Posts
LF, good to hear that thing is taking well to those nano's. There is room for improvement over the stock 2409, but I've seen kinda lame data from rewinds so I haven't done one myself. The closest thing in that class I've done is probably an ax2210n, but those are 12n-14p.

FD, I just resurrected my scrappy and wound up a 13T-24a-D black and red for it. I was hoping it would go a tad slower than the 100mph 6x2T-Y that made it flutter to death. I boxed up that 6x2T for my next scrappy. The 13T tested out at 10.62V, 15.1A, 20214RPM, 91mph, 13.9oz with a 4.75^2e and a Rhino 3s750 20C. Hope it doesn't flutter again when I get to try it out this Sunday. I don't get to do RC much so lately so it's fun to roll the dice a little.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Oct 07, 2010, 01:07 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
FD, ya know, after all these years of twisting wire on these goofy thangs, it still comes down to the same thing: rewind it right and it's incredible how good they can be.

Most stock motors just feel yucky now.

Dave
Old Oct 07, 2010, 07:53 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
LF, good to hear that thing is taking well to those nano's. There is room for improvement over the stock 2409, but I've seen kinda lame data from rewinds so I haven't done one myself. The closest thing in that class I've done is probably an ax2210n, but those are 12n-14p.

FD, I just resurrected my scrappy and wound up a 13T-24a-D black and red for it. I was hoping it would go a tad slower than the 100mph 6x2T-Y that made it flutter to death. I boxed up that 6x2T for my next scrappy. The 13T tested out at 10.62V, 15.1A, 20214RPM, 91mph, 13.9oz with a 4.75^2e and a Rhino 3s750 20C. Hope it doesn't flutter again when I get to try it out this Sunday. I don't get to do RC much so lately so it's fun to roll the dice a little.

Cheers,
Kev
Flutter is the enemy. My scrappy got over engineered after the first one died. There are 6 carbon spars. Wing is covered with Henry's 183 and 3m-90 in 2 layers all over. Several layers over the center. Elevons are hinged with strapping tape, I ran 4 pieces from each elevon all the way to the leading edge and overlapping. They are very free moving, but with no play or flex from side to side. I also used ball links for the control linkages and 9g digital metal gear servo's. It flies so smoothly. It's my favorite flying wing for sure. Tought as nails too. It's seen a brutal crash onto concrete with noting more than a broken prop.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html
These servo's are a great value for the price. $7.70 and free shipping. I have yet to have one fail on me.

Anyway, I hope you get a new one put together. They are great little wings to have.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:26 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post

Cheers,
Kev
There is room for improvement over the stock 2409, but I've seen kinda lame data from rewinds so I haven't done one myself. The closest thing in that class I've done is probably an ax2210n, but those are 12n-14p.

What would be a good motor/rewind to obtain about twice the power of the rewound BW at minimal weight.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 10:56 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
If the price doesn't scare you off, the Microdan 2505 will do the job. But the Ax 2210 that Kev already mentioned is pretty good, and very cheap when available. In the middle is the Motrolfly 2210 kit, which has given me very good results.

Dave
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:34 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
My larger flying wing now has an ax2210 on it. It's a 42" wing weighing 36oz with batt. This motor replaces a mega 16/15/3 that just crapped out on me. After 8 years of abuse it let out the magic smoke. I rewound a ax2210 with 6t 21AWG dlrk delta. It actually worked pretty well at much less weight than the mega it replaced. I have been running 30A max on it for a few flights with no issues. Turning a 4.7x 4.7 Graupner cam speed prop. I haven't actually measured kv and all that as I was in a hurry to get it flying for B.E.S.T. last weekend. I flew it for first time with that motor at the event and wasn't sure what to expect, but it really worked well. I'm pretty pleased with it. It's not as fast as my scrappy, but it works.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:45 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Just found this thread.
Not sure if this has been mentioned, BUT
this motor comes in a BLACK and RED decor, now.
Still 16 magnets.
I haven't tried it yet and don't plan to rewind it - I'm too shaky, although tempted to do it anyway - looks like fun.
The black band around the rotor appears to be plastic tape with printing identifying the motor. I bought one each of all three (1700, 1500, and 1300) motors - these little guys really cog strongly.
If anyone is interested in a picture I will post it.
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:21 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,538 Posts
LF, I agree with Dave's assessment of the motors. I've had identical results rewinding both Motrolfly 2210's and ax2210's. For my more frequent flyers, if I can afford it, I prefer the Motrolfly because they have better bearings than the AX's.

FD, sorry to hear about your Mega. I just bought my first mega, also a 16-15-3, which I plan on running on a pylon moldie ship for next year. The scrappy just got a new lease on life... I fixed the old dog up and wound a black'n'red 13T-24awg-delta for it. The goal was to match the red'n'blue 12T-delta, and it did, but with the expected slight drop in efficiency versus the blues. It goes about 90mph now, which along with some cheap DIY tape aileron wipers, has really tamed my fluttering problem and made the scrappy fun to fly again. Still up in arms about what to do with my extra scrappy kit. I have an arc110, but I doubt that'll beat the ole' 6x2T red'n'blue...

wj, the newer red'n'black versions have been through the ringer on a few of our test stands. The new black ones will have 1) glue in the windings, 2) a higher Kv*T factor, and 3) slightly lower efficiency in general... oh, and that yellowish stuff you see on the motor is just protective tape (remove before flight, the letters are etched on and will stay). IMO, the blacks are still worth rewinding, but they're nowhere near as satisfying as the legendary blue'n'reds. Gotta wonder if HK is still selling thsee motors as quick as they were in toward the end of 2009 (last days of the blue'n'red).

Cheers,
Kev