to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:49 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
I'm guessing that might be the humidity, but perhaps some prop expert will 'splain where I'm wrong.
I'm no prop expert, but I know at a given T & P, humidity does increase air density, and more air density means... well you know. Temp and altitude dominate density though, so humidity and barometric variances are (I guess) OK to ignore.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Jan 19, 2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:01 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,640 Posts
I know. It was my lucky day. . For tiny wings these seem to be awesome. I'm curious to see these because the 3000kv I just wound for my friend had very large letters on it. The ones in the pic on that site have smaller lettering, like the 1300 does, but you can read the 3000kv on the side of the motor. Also, there seems to be decent clearance on the wires. I think there is some difference in how the inside of the bell is done where it contacts the bearing. In fact I just now took my ABC 1300 one apart again and there is a brass thrust washer in front and in rear. No wonder it has better clearance. the magnet bell may be deeper. It looks like there is about 2mm between the magnets and the face of the motor. They are flush with the back and align perfectly with the stator. Definitely different from the 3000kv 14mag one from HK. I will let you know what I find out with these new ones.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:26 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Hmm, I did notice BIG LETTERING on my 10T delta, and now that I'm looking closer I noticed it's magnets appear flush with the rear of the flux ring, where as my little letter cans have the magnets a bit inset. The big letter 10T-D didn't have a thrust washer up front... not that I noticed anyways. Maybe they modified the machining of the front so it provides more clearance (or added a washer that I didn't notice), and moved the magnets back on the ring so they still are centered in the flux. I'm thinking they would have to modify the machining to set the magnets farther back too. Interesting developments to say the least; maybe the guys far east are catching on?

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:39 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
The 3000kv I got from Dave has small lettering.

Cant believe you got the last 3!! I am just south of Conroe in the woodlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuegodeth View Post
I know. It was my lucky day. . For tiny wings these seem to be awesome. I'm curious to see these because the 3000kv I just wound for my friend had very large letters on it. The ones in the pic on that site have smaller lettering, like the 1300 does, but you can read the 3000kv on the side of the motor. Also, there seems to be decent clearance on the wires. I think there is some difference in how the inside of the bell is done where it contacts the bearing. In fact I just now took my ABC 1300 one apart again and there is a brass thrust washer in front and in rear. No wonder it has better clearance. the magnet bell may be deeper. It looks like there is about 2mm between the magnets and the face of the motor. They are flush with the back and align perfectly with the stator. Definitely different from the 3000kv 14mag one from HK. I will let you know what I find out with these new ones.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:48 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,640 Posts
Hey, small world. Where do you fly? I am usually at the Barnstormers field, or at the field at League Line Rd and I45 by the movie theater. I live just down the road from there. I get down to the woodlands all the time.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:14 AM
I can fix that.
United States, PA, Mountain Top
Joined May 2006
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
Well Ken, if you had looked two posts earlier ... here are the numbers:

Tgy 2730 14T 24g dLRK Wye
Kv 1290 (15527/12.015v) Io = 0.36 Rm = 0.180
GWS 8040 HD Hex 460 3S 10091 rpm @ 10.50v/7.94a
Badcock: 520 grams 18.3 oz/thrust 78.6% Efficient
Drive Calc: 572 grams 20.2 oz/thrust 81.2% Efficient

Dave
I don't know how I missed those! It was the end of the day and my eyes went batty I guess.

I know the 9x5 may be pushing it at full power, but I don't expect to be running this much over half throttle for most of the time. That should put me up higher on the efficiency curve.

-Ken
solomonx is offline Find More Posts by solomonx
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:15 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
I fly at a school by my house.

I am thinking of joining the new club in magnolia. Much cheaper than the barnstormers at $250

Quote:
Hey, small world. Where do you fly? I am usually at the Barnstormers field, or at the field at League Line Rd and I45 by the movie theater. I live just down the road from there. I get down to the woodlands all the time.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,640 Posts
I just heard about that one the other day. $60 isn't it?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:30 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Something like that plus a new flyer fee.

Quote:
I just heard about that one the other day. $60 isn't it?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
Hi new to this but you folks are into rewinding and I have a ? lsome what about rewinding here go's. the motor spec. may say 9 or 10 winds but when you get the motor it has perhaps 100's of small wires what gives? thanks in advance Les
balsadust1 is offline Find More Posts by balsadust1
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:03 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,640 Posts
They use multiple strands of thin wire in parallel. When you unwind it there is usually the 10 turns but of 4 wires together.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
Hi Thanks much I wondered if that was the case . now the real ? which is better I'm sure the multi strand is easear but is it better for power thanks Les
balsadust1 is offline Find More Posts by balsadust1
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:17 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
A single strand is better than the multiple strands.

If you do some searching on the net for rewinds like on hacker brushless motors you can see the results of removing all the multi strands and going with a single.

I say search because my old computer has all my links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsadust1 View Post
Hi Thanks much I wondered if that was the case . now the real ? which is better I'm sure the multi strand is easear but is it better for power thanks Les
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:12 PM
Pacific Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2000
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I'm no prop expert, but I know at a given T & P, humidity does increase air density, and more air density means... well you know. Temp and altitude dominate density though, so humidity and barometric variances are (I guess) OK to ignore.

Kev
I think, maybe, it's just the opposite. Since a molecule of water (H2O) has a mass of 18 and a molecule of air (mostly N2 and O2) has a mass around 29, the addition of water vapor to a given volume of air at the same pressure will reduce the density. As Truglodite said, however, it's probably OK to ignore the effect. Here's a Wiki-link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air
wouldy is offline Find More Posts by wouldy