SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:22 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroland View Post
how many turns to get 1700kv? i have the older b.w.(the blue one)
If you're new to rewinding, do at least 10T of 25awg... an cake walk. If you're a little more experienced, 24awg should pose no major problems. I'd stay away from 23awg, especially if it's one of the old "block heads".

Cheers,
Kevin
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:10 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
i have the 16mag 12 tooth 1500kv version and i think i want it around 1300kv.

i tried 24 and it seemed like i would have a hard time winding more than the stock number of turns on it. (11 stock maybe?) anywho, i tried my next smaller awg and ended up with 13t of 26. i think the kv ended up around 1050. too low for my application (dd heli tail)

any ideas on the ideal 1200-1300kv wind for this motor/mag configuration?

i wish it were a 14mag
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:03 AM
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Dec 2008
96 Posts
I finished my first rewind last night and it worked! It is 10t of 24g wye. I got .39a no load and 9.3a and 69 watts with a gws 8043 vs. the stock 1700kv 8.3a and 54 watts with the same prop, so i am pretty happy as my first rewind is a success.
lowdonkey is online now Find More Posts by lowdonkey
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:36 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
i have the 16mag 12 tooth 1500kv version and i think i want it around 1300kv.

i tried 24 and it seemed like i would have a hard time winding more than the stock number of turns on it. (11 stock maybe?) anywho, i tried my next smaller awg and ended up with 13t of 26. i think the kv ended up around 1050. too low for my application (dd heli tail)

any ideas on the ideal 1200-1300kv wind for this motor/mag configuration?

i wish it were a 14mag
Unfortunately 13T is the closest you're going to get to 1300, without challenging yourself to a 22T-delta. Raw Kv for a 13T should be centered around 1272RPM/V, so your measurement seems weird. What did you use to measure RPM and V? I have a fairly complete set of data on these BW's posted on the bottom of my blog if you're interested in tweaking it. Next steps up in Kv would be 22delta, 21delta, then 12y.

A little heads up... I tried the brushless tail motor thing a few years ago on my blade cp. Slow/stuttering startup if the esc ever hits "0 throttle" caused major issues, especially with hh/idle up. I tried so many different setups too... 16gm outrunner dd, feigao long can dd, fiegao short can gear drive... all kinds of props. The best setup of the 3 by far was the fiegao short can gear drive. It worked satisfactory in normal/rate mode. I have a video on RCU:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/kevsFlight1-wmv

FWIW, I went back to the brushed dd setup. It's really the best for a tail motor plane IMHO, and a must have for idle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdonkey View Post
I finished my first rewind last night and it worked! It is 10t of 24g wye. I got .39a no load and 9.3a and 69 watts with a gws 8043 vs. the stock 1700kv 8.3a and 54 watts with the same prop, so i am pretty happy as my first rewind is a success.
Congrats! First successful rewind... what a rush eh? You have a good reason to be happy. Your low Io perhaps indicates you have exceptionally good mechanics (I got .67A no load at about 8V). Your draw with the sf prop seems to go along with that theory; most people are pulling around 9A on an 8040hd, which you might already know is less of a load than the sf. Sounds like a keeper to me.

Cheers,
Kevin
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:36 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Unfortunately 13T is the closest you're going to get to 1300, without challenging yourself to a 22T-delta. Raw Kv for a 13T should be centered around 1272RPM/V, so your measurement seems weird. What did you use to measure RPM and V? I have a fairly complete set of data on these BW's posted on the bottom of my blog if you're interested in tweaking it. Next steps up in Kv would be 22delta, 21delta, then 12y.

A little heads up... I tried the brushless tail motor thing a few years ago on my blade cp. Slow/stuttering startup if the esc ever hits "0 throttle" caused major issues, especially with hh/idle up. I tried so many different setups too... 16gm outrunner dd, feigao long can dd, fiegao short can gear drive... all kinds of props. The best setup of the 3 by far was the fiegao short can gear drive. It worked satisfactory in normal/rate mode. I have a video on RCU:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/kevsFlight1-wmv

FWIW, I went back to the brushed dd setup. It's really the best for a tail motor plane IMHO, and a must have for idle up.
hmm... well 1272 sounds about perfect. i might have screwed up somewhere! i used the eagle tree BL sensor to get my kv. i'll retry the kv test and do the dremel test and see whats up.

will 13t of 25 work?

this is a very different setup compared to the blade cp... we aren't varying the tail speed to control yaw, we're varying tail pitch. (DDVP) ideally, a esc with governor is used to maintain consistent tail speed. heres a log with the stock wind motor. the red is representative of my throttle inputs battling wind. the 14k tail stayed very consistent regardless of throttle variations. its just a little too fast for my taste.
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:08 PM
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Dec 2008
96 Posts
So now that ive got my first wind under my belt id like to do another. I would like a 2 cell wind to spin a gws 9050 prop. I have some 24awg and some 26awg. Any recommendations?
lowdonkey is online now Find More Posts by lowdonkey
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:37 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
hmm... well 1272 sounds about perfect. i might have screwed up somewhere! i used the eagle tree BL sensor to get my kv. i'll retry the kv test and do the dremel test and see whats up.

will 13t of 25 work?

this is a very different setup compared to the blade cp... we aren't varying the tail speed to control yaw, we're varying tail pitch. (DDVP) ideally, a esc with governor is used to maintain consistent tail speed. heres a log with the stock wind motor. the red is representative of my throttle inputs battling wind. the 14k tail stayed very consistent regardless of throttle variations. its just a little too fast for my taste.
Ah I see, that is a completely different animal with variable pitch. 13T-25awg is definitely doable. That would be obviously more challenging that 13T-26, but more efficient at the same Kv. Since you're using Eagle Tree, make sure you have the "poles" set to 16 for the "model type" before you download the data. That's usually where RPM get's screwed up. If you want to slow things down a bit, try 14T-26awg, which would center you around 1181Kv... and it'll be more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdonkey View Post
So now that ive got my first wind under my belt id like to do another. I would like a 2 cell wind to spin a gws 9050 prop. I have some 24awg and some 26awg. Any recommendations?
16p right?

I'd lean toward 12T-24awg for efficiency, 11T-24awg for thrust. 11T is OK with smaller batteries (like Rhino 2s610 20C), but could break past 10A if you use something larger. Not that >10A is a sin, but BW's, 10A esc's, and light batteries seem to be the "status quo".

FWIW, I've had several of these old fathead motors that simply say no to 12T-24, and even those that accepted it were not what I'd call "easy". I've had challenges with 11T-24 early in my rewinding experience, but it's definitely doable. If 11T doesn't work out for you, it might be time to invest in some 25awg. 12T-25 is easy and much better than anything stock, and if you're like me you'll want some 25 in the near future anyways.

Cheers,
Kev
Last edited by Truglodite; Jan 01, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 11:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Hi

I had a couple of magnets upside down in my 1300 , so after soaking in acetone for a couple of days , out they came , the whole lot , I was getting glitches and I had one engine shutdown in flight ? so I think the magnets were maybe just touching the stator , Im hoping for a clean flight tomorrow
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Yes

It guns up real good now , no glitches , no shut downs
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:13 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Excellent! Weird problem though.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Yo

Yes check your magnets

But no,,,, the glitching is gone,,,,, but I did have 1 motor shutdown again ,, over long wet grass , I fear its me ,, Im using a JR crystal in a Hitec Single conversion RX which apparently is bad practice , so I cant blame the RW on that one
Old Jan 05, 2010, 05:12 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
How did you check your magnets?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 05, 2010, 08:23 PM
United States, OH, Wooster
Joined Feb 2005
472 Posts
useing another magnet
stroland is offline Find More Posts by stroland
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Hi, elementary

With a ex US Army magnet checker

Another one that is good,,,,, is an ex US army crystal frequency checker , for when you want to hand grind your own crystals
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:22 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
My apologies for the dumb question.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky