HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:18 PM
New York
Joined Nov 2003
510 Posts
Thanks for the responses Dave. I have a 16 mag bell already so I'll try 11T Wye on 7x6 APC E and see how it goes. Your explainations are of much help.

George
MGeo is online now Find More Posts by MGeo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,103 Posts
Ok, I finished the wind, and I thought I was up to the challenge of the 21t 26awg delta wind, but.....
I must have miscounted because I ended up with one pole with only 20 turns. I don't know if this was the cause of the motor burning up when testing w/o a load or if I had a short also, but I'm gonna have to try again. Just curious, 21t delta is roughly equivilent to 12t wye so will I get similar results if I try the 12t version? The 21t version is such a tediously long job!
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:54 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator View Post
I ended up with one pole with only 20 turns. I don't know if this was the cause of the motor burning up when testing w/o a load
That's a short. Missing one turn, especially in a 21-turn, will just make it run a little weird and cost a tad of efficiency.
Quote:
21t delta is roughly equivilent to 12t wye so will I get similar results if I try the 12t version?
Yes. The 21-turn is only slightly different, and I suspect you'll find the 12T a lot easier.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:06 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
I got a couple of these from HC..one is "bad"..

Would anyone be willing to re-wind it for me for a small fee by chance?

I hate that it is just going to set there and do nothing..

I would like to be able to put it on a 6-ounce epp plane with an 8x4HD on 3S and not have it burn up..

Please let me know..

Sincerely,

Birdie
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA.
Joined Nov 2004
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rloberlin View Post
Nice looking wind, Lance!

Like you, I wound the 12 turn 24awg and had been planning on the 13 for my next wind and first DLRK. I've got the stator ready, but had been procrastinating. I think your effort may inspire me to step up to the plate.

(Probably I'll be reporting back soon on some thick wire & short teeth; get your calipers ready )
That's Cool!!! Your gona like it!

I had a chance to try the 13T out Sat. in my 9.2 oz plane. It is soo smooth. I could start it and click the throttle down a click or two and it just turned slower. I could almost read the writing on the bell. Quiet Power was excellent! with lots of ZIP. Motor came down cold. I'm like'n dLRK .

Birdie, Why don't you try and rewind it? HC might also replace it.

Dave, Thank You for clearing that up. Great info. in a nut shell.

Lance
lance dalton is offline Find More Posts by lance dalton
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
That's a short. Missing one turn, especially in a 21-turn, will just make it run a little weird and cost a tad of efficiency. Yes. The 21-turn is only slightly different, and I suspect you'll find the 12T a lot easier.

Dave
Yeah, I'm sure the 12t is easier, but what about efficiency? I was wanting to get close to the 82% you are achieving with your 21t version.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:17 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA.
Joined Nov 2004
2,009 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if this was the cause of the motor burning up when testing w/o a load or if I had a short also, but I'm gonna have to try again.

I did a simple short test before ramping the motor. Just make sure none of the wires are shorted to each other or the motor itself. It won't tell you if you miswound a wind but it can save your ESC, lipo.
On the 13T dLRK I checked each phase before I went to the next. Nice when it's done and the meter reads 000 ohms on the wires and motor.

Bet I know your nickname

Lance
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance dalton View Post
I did a simple short test before ramping the motor. Just make sure none of the wires are shorted to each other or the motor itself. It won't tell you if you miswound a wind but it can save your ESC, lipo.
On the 13T dLRK I checked each phase before I went to the next. Nice when it's done and the meter reads 000 ohms on the wires and motor.

Lance
I checked continuity between the wires and the stator but not the wires to each other. I will check that from now on. How do you check ohms? Do I attach my test leads to each end of the wire?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:27 AM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance dalton View Post

Birdie, Why don't you try and rewind it? HC might also replace it.

Lance

I have in the "olden days" before there was mass produced motors, tried my hand at winding..the term "Epic Fail" does not even get close to how badly things turned out...I have short fat yammy fingers that refuse to cooperate, and not once in "many" tries, was I successful. I used to pull apart those old toshiba cd-rom drives and beg my buddy to wind me a motor so I could stick it on a shocky to fly! hahahaha

I have tried returning things to HC with no luck in the past, and it is hardly worth the effort as I might just get another "bad" motor..it seems the better way would be to beg one of you kind gentlemen to "fix" it for me, and would probably be cheaper and much less frustrating in the long run..
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure the 12t is easier, but what about efficiency? I was wanting to get close to the 82% you are achieving with your 21t version.
They're very close, again. I've had 12T versions turn out over 80. The problem is, a good part of that is just the hardware -- their mfg is errant to say the least, and sometimes you just get a good one. With that wind, I figure anything between 77% and 82% was done well, and you're at the mercy of the mag placement, air gap, bearing quality, bell integrity and balance, etc...

Birdie, I might take a shot at winding that motor, but you have to understand the caveats: first, it might just suck (bad mechanicals). There's always that chance with these. And if that's the case, you lose the postage.

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:56 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA.
Joined Nov 2004
2,009 Posts
Quote:
I checked continuity between the wires and the stator but not the wires to each other. I will check that from now on. How do you check ohms? Do I attach my test leads to each end of the wire?
To check if the wires are shorted I use an ohms meter before the motor is terminated. Attach the meter to one wire end and check the other two wire ends. Do that for each wire and if the meter reads 000 ohms it should be safe to ramp. This is just checking for continuity not resistance.

Hope that helps

Lance
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:59 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
They're very close, again. I've had 12T versions turn out over 80. The problem is, a good part of that is just the hardware -- their mfg is errant to say the least, and sometimes you just get a good one. With that wind, I figure anything between 77% and 82% was done well, and you're at the mercy of the mag placement, air gap, bearing quality, bell integrity and balance, etc...

Birdie, I might take a shot at winding that motor, but you have to understand the caveats: first, it might just suck (bad mechanicals). There's always that chance with these. And if that's the case, you lose the postage.

Dave
It is certainly worth the risk to me sir..

Please let me know if I can send it your way..
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:39 PM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_in_texas View Post
It is certainly worth the risk to me sir..

Please let me know if I can send it your way..
If my second attempt is also a failure, you may have more than one coming your way Dave
Just kidding, I'll do the 12t before I give up completely
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Ah, you'll get it one way or the other.

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:04 PM