HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
657 Posts
Discussion
Veron Deacon

The Deacon was complete RTF about 2 weeks ago. First flight was in blustery conditions so difficult to evaluate.
I'll post some build & background details later, meanwhile here's the near finished article.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,177 Posts
Very nice Pat, I've got one on a build thread from about 2005-6 if you care to look. Mine has an OS 10 LA & is perfectly powered. It does dutch roll if using too much input. The original size of the single channel rudder is tiny -and probably well suited. I've caught some massive thermals with mine- I love the section & the lifting tail.. It's best flown RC assist I think. I fly mine around on very low rates & most of the time just set the trims for a gentle turn & enough power to climb, guiding it back to the field if it wanders too far down wind.
Cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
657 Posts
Thank's Snorks, I'll have a search for your thread. Can you remember if you used the plan CG or moved it forward ?

I started building a Veron Deacon but got involved with other projects not long after I took these poor quality pics in 2003. Due to ongoing commitments it gathered dust until I saw this blue & cream charmer being flown at a local F/F event last August.

Around 2003 I gave up on ic power & have converted a number of models to electric so first job was re-thinking power for the Deacon. Original intention was to use a throttle equiped ME Snipe 1.5cc diesel inverted as shown, this was re-drawn with a Scorpion 2212/22 mounted on a ply extension.

Next pic is the re-start build underway.

I don’t see the need for the free flight "knock offable" wing & tail when the model will be landed under control so I prefer to have "proper" fixings. The wing is held by two plastic screws into tapped aluminium brackets fixed to ply cabin formers.

The tail assembly is held by a ply peg at the front & a single small screw just in front of the elevator & under the rudder. There’s a scrap of PCB with a nut soldered to it fixed in the rear fuselage.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:33 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,177 Posts
I think my CG is exactly as shown on plan...from memory its about 60% back from the LE? Most of my other pylon/power models with lifting stab balance on the TE....so the deacons cg position was quite forward for me! I epoxied the tail assembly on & used the standard dowels & rubber bands for wing fixing .Although the front dowel isn't that convicing it does work. I've seen too many nylon bolt failures (about 3 seperate accidents) to use them. I think with electric it will be fine, but with repeated use they tend to be overtightened,that combined with high speed vibration seems to shear the threads. what covering did you use?
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:52 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
873 Posts
Nice

Very nice indeed Pat....to echo Snorks, is this solartex ?...

Regards
Chris
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:02 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
657 Posts
Yep.
It's all Solartex & so is the free flight one though I think that one has some paint on it.

I'll post some more detail & bore you with the rationale later.

Cheers,
Pat.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:19 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
657 Posts
As threatened more on the Deacon build.

The original beech engine mounts were removed & a section cut away fron the firewall to make room for the battery. Then an open ply box made to hold the motor.
There’s a chunk of 3/8” ply glued to the first cabin former & bridging the longerons, this is to take the undercariage wire. Block balsa glued to the ply box & firewall.
Two piece u/c wire to be held by saddle clamps arranged for torsion springing. Also visible are the ply battery tray (slotted holes for velcro strap) & ply servo/rx tray in cabin area.
It was always intended that the tail should be easily removed when required & that the control linkages should be as unobtrusive as possible but easily coupled & uncoupled.
The elevator would be relatively easy. For the rudder control I started to fabricate a gizmo from wire, brass & fibreboard that would be a permanent fixture in the rear fuselage & automaticaly couple with the rudder when the tail was fixed in place. However when I weighed my gizmo plus the linkage to it & the elevator I reckoned a couple of 4.5g servos mounted in the tailplane plus the extension leads from the Rx would be less & the resultant mass wouldn’t be any further rearwards. So… some light balsa framing & sheet saw the servos fixed semi permanently in the tailplane. Last pic jumps ahead to the finished tail unit.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 08:18 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
873 Posts
Nice !

Looks lovely, Pat.

This is really a nice little design....couple of questions :

What material are you using for the hinges...looks really neat (I'm fed up with plastic hinges)

Finally...where can I get plans !
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:59 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Oh, here I go again, hinges...

I have been using cloth zigzag hinges since the beginning of my c/l days (1951) when one could buy them in a package (I still have a couple of sets). Now I use ripstop nylon, even better, they virtually disappear when covered. They allow the surface to deflect under their own weight, and in all this time I have NEVER had a failure. Over the years I have tried them all, and always go back to zigzags.

Sewn figure eight hinges work just about as well, even faster to install.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Apr 03, 2009, 01:19 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
The Veron Deacon, along with its 35" baby brother Cardinal, are to my eyes 2 real charmers of its kind (which of them came first..?).
Also, we must not forget the Sky-Skooter, one of the Veron "all-time-greats".

Mr Inge Ahlin has kindly provided me a great number of wonderful "period" photos. This 1955 photo shows "the man himself" with his Sky-Skooter and E.D. equipment.
(The sun was always shining back then, wasn't it ? )
With his approval I may be able to show more of this collection here, later on.

Chris, were you offered a Deacon plan from anyone...?...if not, PM me)
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Apr 03, 2009, 02:29 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,991 Posts
The photo brought back memories from 1954, not of Veron models but ED equipment. I still have an ED transmitter just like that in the basement. In my case it controlled (sometimes) an ECC receiver and ED escapement in a Junior 60.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:05 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
657 Posts
Chris, I've used "The Ultimate Hinge" a product made by M&M Developments, they're based in Newport Gwent, full address & telephone number is on the website.
The hinges are basicaly two 2" strips of Solartex with the adhesive side in (with the plastic backing still in place) machine sewn down their length. I've had my wife make them for me from left over Solartex but when I saw it for sale by M&M at one of the shows I bought some. Their's comes in natural linen colour which blends in nicely with most light colours. I've attached a pdf of the hinge instructions which explain them better than my words.

My Deacon plan is already promised to a mate who wants to build one for diesel power but Phil Smith (the old Veron designer) still sells copies & Replikit do a short & full kit.
It looks as if Gluehand will be able to oblige but if you need Phil's address I'll look it up. He has most of the old Veron range plans & quite a number of others available at very reasonable prices.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 07:24 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
It looks as if Gluehand will be able to oblige but if you need Phil's address I'll look it up. He has most of the old Veron range plans & quite a number of others available at very reasonable prices.

Yep, I must say I agree with patmcc here...as long as Mr Smith sells his own plans, he is the one to be favoured.
Doing so is quite rare in the world of "vintage" aeromodelling, and Mr Smith deserves an honour.
As I hope that you understand, I am no "plan monger", and I should obviously be seen as a "last resort", just trying to help people out when appropriate.
If any toe is stepped on here, I may stand corrected, and I apologise...
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Apr 04, 2009, 05:04 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
657 Posts
Gluehand, I intended no critisism of lending or passing around plans. However I do get a little annoyed when people copy & sell plans for profit in clear breach of copyright. I've sometimes seen copies of Veron plans being offered on Ebay in repeated auctions by the same sellers then selling at both a higher item cost & higher postage than Phil Smith.