Old Mar 28, 2009, 02:05 PM
Uk
Joined Feb 2009
66 Posts
Discussion
Power setup, need some help

I have a 40a esc, this one here

http://www.aero-fever.net/product_in...roducts_id=382

and I had it running on a small outrunner but the motor shaft actually snapped off. A motor close to this I have kicking around is from "The world Models" here are all the specs,

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...M0283010_1.jpg

What range of propellers could I run this setup on? I have a 11x5 folder and a gws 9x7 prop. I don't want too much power just thrust. Would it work with that prop?

Thanks in advance,
Dylan
FiresofDylan is offline Find More Posts by FiresofDylan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2009, 02:33 PM
Uk
Joined Feb 2009
66 Posts
Oh and what kind of settings would I have to set the ESC on? Hard/soft timing or anything like that. I'm not sure the amount of poles in the motor, does anyone know? How exactly do you find out? I've heard you can count them?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 03:03 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
I am guessing that this is a 1000Kv motor 283010, and the max. rpm equates to 12000rpm @ 12v.

That being so I'd say the 11x5 folder would get you more thrust than a 9x7, and should keep you under the (probably optimistic) 20A limit.

I usually leave my ESC's on default! The number of poles is typically the number of magnets - if you cannot see them easily from the outside you can always remove the bell and count 'em that way (but unless you need to set up an Eagle Tree RPM counter, why does the number of poles matter?) - if the stator has 12-arms, there are probably 14 magnets... if the stator has 9-arms, there are probably 12-magnets. Despite the instructions for the ESC - for timing you are usually better off with low/soft timing.

I've just tested a KEDA 2830 - 1025Kv motor and it drew ~15A on 3s with an 11x5.5 APC E.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiresofDylan
Oh and what kind of settings would I have to set the ESC on? Hard/soft timing or anything like that. I'm not sure the amount of poles in the motor, does anyone know? How exactly do you find out? I've heard you can count them?
Hi Dylan,

Advancing the motor timing basically breaks down to wringing more power out of the motor, at the expense of running the motor hotter, pulling more current out of the battery, and reducing flight times.

In my opinion only, it's a bad substitute for picking the wrong motor to begin with. If you can only get the power you need from a motor by advancing it's timing, then that shows that you really would have been better off by picking the next size up motor. Again, this is just my opinion.

I can't speak from experience in advancing timing, because I run all my motors at the stock, from-the-factory timing, and I've never had a motor burn up yet... or even get hot to the touch...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 28, 2009, 03:48 PM
Uk
Joined Feb 2009
66 Posts
thanks very much guys. I'll probably leave it on soft timing. Unfortunately I can't put a folding prop on my plane due to the cowling. So what size APC prop do you think I should use? Would the GWS 9x7 prop be alright? Sorry I'm hopeless with power systems, I just read what people use and go with it; One day I'll learn lol.

So what non folding prop would give me the most efficiency?

Dylan
Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:19 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
I'd use a 10x6 GWS HD... and if it is okay with that, possibly an 11x7 GWS HD would get you more, but still within the limits.

The problem is that, without knowing this exact motor, I cannot predict what the amp draw will be with these props, nor what its limits really are.

Next thing you really need to buy is a Wattmeter!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:16 AM
Uk
Joined Feb 2009
66 Posts
Yeah really need a wattmeter!

So how do you calculate the amp draw from prop size and kv?

Dylan