SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:41 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Question
Foam Board Planes

Hi, I have three sheets of 20X30 inch foamboard and 5 j250 motors. I was wondering If any of you have any good airplanes to make out of this. I have experience with light weight balsa planes but not much with any kind of foam. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Modarius is offline Find More Posts by Modarius
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
670 Posts
any of the 'blu' planes. Mainly designed by Tony65x55. There have been a couple others designed around his platform which are just as good. Anything with a monoblock is a good quick and durable build.
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
Old Mar 28, 2009, 02:25 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
I've built both the BluBaby 33" with UC wing and th Skyote using Elmer's foam board and the J-250. The BB is a basic trainer. The Skyote is more aerobatic and requires a little more experience.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997484

Good luck and Keep Us posted. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
Check out the SE-5a thread....
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:13 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredlawndart
Check out the SE-5a thread....
Great Idea.... I totally forgot about that one and it is the first Tony design I built. It is a great flier. Here is the link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649178
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:25 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I built a plane out of foam board a few weeks ago. I was bored, and didn't follow any plans. Had large wings with a fair amount of dihedral, and was powered by a Turnigy 2835 with a 6x4 prop. Flew nice and slow, but turned into origami once I tried to fly it in the wind. Good thing about foam board is it's cheap.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Apr 01, 2009, 12:05 AM
To Build? or Build Another?
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2009
145 Posts
yeah on foam board the planes do turn into origami not break into pieces, if you leave the paper on of course. you can take off the paper with 91% alcohol and a garbage bag... just set your cut pieces in there and let soak for about an hour... paper comes right off and whallah! you now have depron ( or something extremely similar)

for wings leave the paper on and brace with carbon tubing. i built a few quite the few planes from board board and i want to post pictures but i cant figure out how...?!?

a couple i have built is an underwing trainer with a 43" wingspan and a delta f-117 look alike with a 40" wingspan.. both flew amazing (yes, flew, thats why they are called trainers.. lol)

find any plans on this forum or challenge yourself with a 3-view... or you can just from your imagination

Cheers
genetix is offline Find More Posts by genetix
Old Apr 02, 2009, 02:44 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
I like the tuffy but wanted to try something smaller with a little 10g motor. I used a 10g motor on my 30inch eagle/hawk bird and was amazed at how easily it pulled that bird up to altitude with no problem so I figure I might be able to use it on a pusher plane.

I sketched up some plans and tried to get the dimension ratios as close to the tuffy as I could. I cut the fuse out as one piece of foam, cutting through one side and compressing the foam along fold lines. I find this method keeps the hot glue content down as you only need a small bead in the seam to hold the bends nicely.

All up weight so far with the fuse, 30inch wing, and motor is 80g. I think I can bring it in under or near 5oz with a 400-500 2S. The 4oz thrust of the motor using a 5x3 should be plenty, maybe even carry my pencam.

The whole thing is built from a single piece of foamboard and some scrap balsa sticks for the firewall. I drew the plans right on the foamboard using the dimensions from sketchup. The boards I have are plumb so using the edges as references can get me a reasonably square fuse and wing without having to scale, tile, print and cut plans.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Apr 02, 2009, 04:07 AM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,118 Posts
Looks great. You have a good dihedral angle on you wing, how do you fix the wing to the fuselage so it is structurally strong? Is hot melt glue good enough?

Also, how do you get the wing profile to stay? Do you have a few balsa or foam ribs?

Regards,
Kim
kadil is online now Find More Posts by kadil
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:12 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil
Looks great. You have a good dihedral angle on you wing, how do you fix the wing to the fuselage so it is structurally strong? Is hot melt glue good enough?

Also, how do you get the wing profile to stay? Do you have a few balsa or foam ribs?

Regards,
Kim
The wing is just sitting on the fuse in the picture, I'll probably use the regular rubber band method to attach it. The undercambared wing shape is maintained by hot-glued channels on the bottom of the wing and the dihedral the same but on top of wing. Since this is a light aircraft I think the strength will be sufficient. My foam Fun Jet is built the same way and it has survived a few really hard landings with minimal damage.

I forgot to mention the paper is left on the foam for this build. Adds weight but also adds strength.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Last edited by waqa; Apr 02, 2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typos