SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 01, 2009, 05:45 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Rich and everyone else,
I'm a little confused about setting up the for/aft tilt angles(I know the angles). What is my reference datum to set the fore/aft angles up(I'm setting the angles "X" amount from what point? Sorry if this is clear on the plans and I'm missing it. I'm clear on left/right tilt.
I'm very close to the maiden. I will post pics of my angles and dangles when I finish up(Prior to flight ). I'm pretty stoked about flying the RPG! I'll try to do a pre-flight walk around video like Joe did before flight. The primary thing stopping the maiden now is the time to go out and fly.
Any word/progress on the 2-blade anomolies? I'd also be interested in any pics you have, or dimensions for the 2-blade hub. I will for sure at some point try the two blade version because I already bought the AB blades.
Regards Gents,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2009, 06:05 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,905 Posts
Mike,
The plan angles and dangles are only guide lines as every gyro will be slightly different in one way or another. The main thing is to get as much rearward tilt as you can so as to help with pre rotation of the rotors, just make sure you are clear of the tail when pulling full up with left and right. It is also a good idea to add some expo to soften around the centres of the sticks in both planes. If you like I can take some photos of mine with the throws to show you or even a video?
The trick to getting the RPG to fly well is in the trimming process..please do not just pull back the rotors and blast down the runway ..you will never really need full power!..just be patient with your test hops..nice slow ROG is what you are aiming for.

Great work Mike
Get to grips with the 3 bladed RPG first

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 02, 2009, 02:12 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
667 Posts
Rich,

I notice when at max left/right and full back the blades are very close to the tail, I was thinking of turning the tail upside down as it is simply held on with two screws. Is it worth it??

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old May 02, 2009, 04:36 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Hello Rich and everyone else,
I'm a little confused about setting up the for/aft tilt angles(I know the angles). What is my reference datum to set the fore/aft angles up(I'm setting the angles "X" amount from what point?
-Mike
Looking at the plans you'll see that in all the drawings the rotors are show and being at right angles to the mast. The mast has 8degrees back tilt relative to the bottom of the fuz, and so I would start with the neutral rotor position set at 8degrees back tilt as the model sits on the ground (assuming the botom of the fuz is level). As long as it is roughly correct it will fly. To much and it will fly slow and wallow a bit, To little and it will fly fast.

You can use some trigonometry to measure the angle. I can give you the method if you are interested.

PeterO
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old May 02, 2009, 02:52 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Thanks Peter,
That's helpful, and it clarifies the answer to my question. I think I'm tracking now. I'll get some pictures to share with the angles and dangles when I can.
Regards,
-Mike
Old May 02, 2009, 02:58 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrocopter
Rich,

I notice when at max left/right and full back the blades are very close to the tail, I was thinking of turning the tail upside down as it is simply held on with two screws. Is it worth it??

Chas
I'm afraid you might cause the aircraft to handle differently if you inverted your Horizontal stab. Besides, we're all helping to validate the "Plans built RPG" right? I noticed it was a close at max throws as well, but I cant imagine a scenario where full aft and full left/right would be needed while on the ground. In the air; the coning will provide more clearance especially if you are using max throws! Just my opinion Chas.
Regards,
-Mike
Old May 02, 2009, 06:44 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
So Mike, how close are you to the maiden?

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old May 03, 2009, 12:50 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsofaman
So Mike, how close are you to the maiden?

Dave
Hi Dave,
The aircraft will be ready in the next few days. Unfortunately, I won't have any spare time to actually fly it for a week or more. Full scale heli's taking all my time. I'll certainly post any progress as soon as I can. I want to be sure and get Rich's opinion on my angle/dangle pics(which I have not taken) before I attempt the maiden.
Take care,
-Mike
Old May 03, 2009, 06:05 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,905 Posts
Chas,
Try I say, but the only time that I have used full roll is when attempting a roll so you should never need that much throw in flight. Just make sure everything is clear on full throws and you should be good to go.

Regards Rich
Old May 03, 2009, 08:31 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
I'm afraid you might cause the aircraft to handle differently if you inverted your Horizontal stab. Besides, we're all helping to validate the "Plans built RPG" right? I noticed it was a close at max throws as well, but I cant imagine a scenario where full aft and full left/right would be needed while on the ground. In the air; the coning will provide more clearance especially if you are using max throws! Just my opinion Chas.
Regards,
-Mike

Mike ,
Thanks for that,all I have asked for is conformation that it is OK, I have a 'built to the plan RPG'...well very close and know that it flies ok..Im just sat here waiting for a few more to be finished and flown to confirm this for me. I know what its like when you start building from a plan, its so easy to go your own way. The only problem I have found that I dont like is the undercarriage...fine on a smooth grass surface but get a few bumps and its a bit wobbly. I found this out last week at a fly-in I attended..it really was a horrible patch to try and ROG and I only just managed it.

Regards Rich
Old May 03, 2009, 12:00 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
UC bracing

Hi Rich,
You mentioned the UC being a bit wobbly on rough surfaces. I had considered using a bit of high tensile strength fishing line to brace the UC. The idea being, run a strand from near the wheel towards the bottom forward portion of the fusalage to a small screw, and from near the wheel aft to the back edge of the fusalage(making a diamond shape as seen from above). I think this would be strong enough to solve any UC issues. Many of the Full scale autogyros use cable to brace thier UC, same principal here. I think it would probably look kinda cool too! Just a thought.
Regards,
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; May 03, 2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add info
Old May 03, 2009, 04:39 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
That would be be perfect! I used to to do the same on my early DAGs....

Dave
Old May 10, 2009, 08:44 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
RPG maiden delays

Hello guys,
I am frustrated about the delay on my RPG maiden! The aircraft is so close to maiden I can taste it, I've only a few minor checks and adjustments to be made. My work schedule flying the full scale stuff is taking my time for flying R/C aircraft.

I did get one step closer yesterday; I purchased a new video camera to use for my R/C flying clips that I want to share with all of you. I tried it out today at work. Here's a short clip of the full scale taking my free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pb-v_B-VQM

P.S. My other Aircraft is an RPG!!!
Regards,
-Mike
Old May 10, 2009, 09:06 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Too cool Mike!!! I wish I had your job....very jealous!

Dave
Old May 10, 2009, 09:11 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Mike....what is the make of your camera?

Dave
Closed Thread