Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:36 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
630 Posts
I forgot to say, does it sit with a negative angle?? I believe the bottom of the fuz should be neutral or slightly positive but just my thought.

Good luck with your maiden flight

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:01 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Chas,
The fusalage does have a slight negative angle, but not as bad as it looks in the pictures. I don't think it will be a problem, but if it turns out to be troublesome I'll fab a longer nose wire.
Thanks for the kind words about the finish. I hope I don't ding it, but I have enough material for a MK II and so on if I do!
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2009, 06:23 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Mike.....the covering is perfect. I am quite jealous!!!! I cant wait to see it in the air. Great job!!!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:29 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hang test

I did the hang test for the motor offset this morning. All the electrics were loosly stuffed in the airframe so I could run the motor. The motor mount is rubber banded to the mast. I followed the exact offset shown on the plans, and it worked perfectly on the first try! I didn't take any video because we all already know what the test looks like.
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:49 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,052 Posts
Nice!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Apr 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,797 Posts
Mike,
You US guys really know how to impress!!..that is a fantastic looking model and makes me so proud
I experimented alot with the ride angle before I was happy with it, the best 'stance' is parallel with tera firma, I found that with the nose lower down it tends to leap into the air due to pulling further back on those rotors to pre spin them. The RPG should sit with its tail touching the floor and when the power is lightly applied the nose will push forwards due to the above cg thrustline. If the ride height is right the nose should gently rise when the blades are at the correct RPM, if I were you I would practice this to get a feel and a good indication for correct rotor speed. When the nose goes light just simply add a little more power and it will ROG with ease.

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:22 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
I used a different nose wheel than I when I mocked up the landing gear, that explains why it's sitting nose low. No worries, I'll fab a new nose wire to get that level stance you mentioned Rich. Thanks for the help.
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,797 Posts
Mike,
You will be using the 3 blade AoA blade set up ..correct?..well I think they have the upsweep in the blades as like Daves DAG blades?
My newest RPG has the wire blades with the upsweep sanded in on the TE, they fly superbly .... but ..last weekend I went to a fly-in and struggled to get the RPG off the ground because it was a short take off area in the middle of a rape seed field. Anyway I decided I needed to spin up the blades quicker for a shorter ROG so I decided to add some shims to quicken things up a little. Well quicken things up it did and it was off the ground in half the time but...it became sensitive to power wanting to nose down under power. So the shims were removed and it was back to its stable flying characteristics but a little slow on spin up.

If you use these blades stick to Arizonas recommendations for the negative pitch??

Regards Rich
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:11 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Those batteries show up yet Mike???

Dave
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:10 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsofaman
Those batteries show up yet Mike???

Dave
Yep Dave,
I've got all the materials now. I'm making progress but unfortunatly I'm flying the full scale heli's everyday this week including the weekend. We're doing training exercises again so I don't have much free time for the next week or two. All the work will be done soon which, in a sense, will be frustrating because I'll have to wait on the maiden.

Rich,
I may be pole vaulting over mouse turds here so let me know if I'm overthinking this; I have my control rods set up but there seemed to be more flex than I was willing to accept. When the rods flex the pitch and roll change. I added an additional rod(attached along side) to each for stiffness, not much weight. The slightly heavier rods seemed to help the C.G. My HS-645 metal gear servos will lift the entire airframe in all directions when you hold the model by the hub(held parralel to the floor) without flex in the control rods. This should be sufficient yes? Ok I'm rambling and didn't even really ask a question.
Here are some actual questions:
1)What is the reference/Datum line for fore and aft tilt when setting up the pitch?
2)How much thrust did the Prototype RPG produce? I want to try your test method you used on the Tempest!

More pics and progress to follow. I fabricated a new nose gear as well Rich, she's sitting nice and level now.

Regards gents,
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Yep Dave,
I've got all the materials now. I'm making progress but unfortunatly I'm flying the full scale heli's everyday this week including the weekend. We're doing training exercises again so I don't have much free time for the next week or two. All the work will be done soon which, in a sense, will be frustrating because I'll have to wait on the maiden.

Rich,
I may be pole vaulting over mouse turds here so let me know if I'm overthinking this; I have my control rods set up but there seemed to be more flex than I was willing to accept. When the rods flex the pitch and roll change. I added an additional rod(attached along side) to each for stiffness, not much weight. The slightly heavier rods seemed to help the C.G. My HS-645 metal gear servos will lift the entire airframe in all directions when you hold the model by the hub(held parralel to the floor) without flex in the control rods. This should be sufficient yes? Ok I'm rambling and didn't even really ask a question.
Here are some actual questions:
1)What is the reference/Datum line for fore and aft tilt when setting up the pitch?
2)How much thrust did the Prototype RPG produce? I want to try your test method you used on the Tempest!

More pics and progress to follow. I fabricated a new nose gear as well Rich, she's sitting nice and level now.

Regards gents,
-Mike
Mike,
I have no idea how much thrust my original RPG produced so I cannot help you on that one..sorrry!!
I have found that it is always best to have as much pitch throw as possible with the RPG so as to help spin up those blades...the mast is high enough so that you can use full rearward pitch without a tail strike. As for forward pitch it is like any other gyro..-1 degrees should be more than enough (used to kill the speed of the rotors after touchdown)
On the prototype I used 3mm wire for the push rods and have had no problems at all..if there is flex this is not good, they need to be rigid and positive. Please do not worry about the CG/thrustline being to far away..just remember this a model gyro and not a full size!! the original had a 20mm higher thrustline above the CG and my latest is 50mm above the CG and this flies fine. If you are a little further above the CG than antisipated just reduce the prop size an inch. If you can stick to the stated hang angle I have found nose heavier is better than tail heavier.

Looking forward to some pics

Regards Rich
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:00 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hang test

I know you've all seen this test with everyone else's aircraft, but I wanted to post it anyway. My camera is terrible, but I intend to get a better quality camera for the maiden, and other flights. For now I appologize for the quality of the video(I'm NO Rich Harris). I played with this test a bit more after the camera battery died, the thrust is great, and nearly touched the cieling with the nose!!!! I think I feel an RPG loop coming on in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOQbogDDhH0

Regards guys,
-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:46 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!! You are on the money Mike!

Dave
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:16 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,052 Posts
Love the music! Looks great Mike!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:47 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,797 Posts
You have that offset 'cock on'...you laso have way more power than is needed ...it will be able to hover..fixed wing style!!

Regards Rich
Closed Thread