SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:58 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Joe,
If you come to DeRidder you can't have a ride; you can Drive it though. You just need to bring your RPG.
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2009, 11:10 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,833 Posts
Mike,
What can I say?..if your flying skills are as good as your building and covering skills you are really going to make me even more prouder!!

So the car what is it? Ford Mustang?? cant wait for my ride too how the hell am I going to get the RPG into a suitcase??...LOL

The tailskid!!..OMG I have just looked at the plan and see it wasnt added , you will need this for sure to protect that awesome covering job!
By the way...2 thumbs up from the wife!! I will have to do mine a little different to yours, I found a pilot too!!..mine will be a little more 'Shagadellic'!!.........Oh!..behave

Cracking Job Mike

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Apr 02, 2009, 12:27 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Rich,
Thanks so much your kind words! I'm very happy to hear you're pleased with it. I am not recieving PMs you have sent for some reason.
I am very new to all the electric stuff, so I'm clueless about most aspects of power combinations. All I know is that I want my RPG to perform as well as yours.
Could you post your motor/Esc/battery information to include brand, model number and such? I'd really like to order imeadiatly if not sooner.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike
Old Apr 02, 2009, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,833 Posts
Mike,
I bought the motor and esc off Dave, I believe Joe has purchased the same motor ..its not available over here so hopefully these guys will point you in the right direction.
These are the batteries that I have been using
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-OVER-2800mA...1%7C240%3A1318

Mine arrived in a week!!

Regards Rich
Old Apr 03, 2009, 06:27 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Rich, Dave,
Thanks for the assistance with the power set-up. Dave per your advice I went with the E-Flite gear, no sense in buying "Good deal" stuff and being dissappointed. I found a hobby store within about 3 hrs of me that had great prices on the E-flight stuff so I flew over and picked it up. Here's what I got guys:
-E-flight Power 32 Brushless outrunner 770Kv
-E-flight 60-Amp Pro Brushless ESC w/BEC and switch harness
-APC 13x8 EP
-Servos, and reciever

I still need the AB blades but they are out of stock currently. I guess I'll have to get dave to build me a set of the DAG blades the RPG uses.

Regards guys,
-Mike
Old Apr 03, 2009, 06:41 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Nice combo man!!!!

As luck has it.....BP hobbies site was down last night. Today....it is up and running. Go figure!!! Anyway....you power system is going to rock!!! No worries Mike....you will power to spare.

If anyone else is wants to know exactly what Rich and Jodini have....iut is here for the motor: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B3915415

And here for the ESC: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B2049176
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:00 AM
Joined Dec 2007
199 Posts
blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
I still need the AB blades but they are out of stock currently.
Mike, sent you a pm.

-Mike
Aero-Smith is offline Find More Posts by Aero-Smith
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:51 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Calling on the smart guys;
Short version-
Do you use a pusher prop on the RPG?
Long Version-
I've been bench running my motor and servo set up to get started with the programming. It occured to me that I may have the wrong prop. I have a 13x8 Pusher prop(I didn't notice when I picked it up). Seems silly to me to have a pusher prop for electric anyway since the motor can turn either direction. The ic engines only turn one way. Looking at the motor from the back of the aircraft the prop turns counter-clock wise. That would mean that the P-factor would be opposite of the clock-wise truning motor if my thinking is correct. I'm guessing that the offset required on the motor mount would be opposite as well. If any of the above is correct, I'm of the impression that I should just order the standard direction prop, and just mount it facing forward.
Thanks in advance Gents,
-Mike
Old Apr 04, 2009, 09:27 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
The APC numbers go towards the nose. Looking from the rudder, your motor turns clock wise. From the front of the gyro looking at the prop.....it turns left hand.

No pusher prop needed. Same as the tractor gyro except you have moving the prop behind the rotors....

Does that help?

Dave
Old Apr 04, 2009, 09:28 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I missed your last sentance....yep....you got it right!

Dave
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:16 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Servos upgraded, proper prop, moving along again.

I've finally got the rest of the parts I need for completion! My batteries arrived from China on a slow boat(Seriously) but the price was unbeatable so it was worth the wait. I purchased the correct prop today to replace the Pusher I inadvertantly bought before. I've also upgraded the servos from the HS-475 KB I originally planned to use(I think these are the ones that gave Joe trouble ) to the HS-645MG ultra torque 133oz.in @6volts.
The aircraft should be ready for rotor blades by the end of the weekend, with everything else completed. Hang testing will be done this weekend as well, I imagine the motor offset from the plans will work perfectly. I'll try to get some more photos as soon as I can.
I still have some questions about building the AB blades for the 2 blade configuration so I won't build those just yet. I have the materials to make a 3-blade setup almost identical to the DAG style blades, but it's from a Gyro-bee. I have a completed 4-blade setup for this wt. aircraft I might try them at some point as well.

Regards,
-Mike
Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:46 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,833 Posts
Mike,
Please remember the offset shown on the plan was taken directly from my original, the plan shows an adjustable plate for 'fine tuning', it will need to be checked by doing the hang /power test but should be close if not spot on.
Try to get the thrust line roughly around 20mm above the CG but dont worry if it is higher, get your battery as far forward as you can and if you are using a reciever pack put this in the front lower compartment just past the former. 16 degrees hang angle is what you are aiming for plus or minus a degree...the more hang the more rearward tilt you will need for level flight thats all.
The Arizona blades will be perfect ....please take a few photos of your hangles and dangles before you fly please.

Keep up your excellent work

Regards Rich
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:42 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Color Scheme

Hello guys,
I originally wanted to do the British flag on both sides of my RPG. I discovered that because the UK flag isn't symetrical I wouldn't be able to make the colors line up from side to side. Believe me I tried, and failed. I then decided even though this great design was born in the UK, it was in fact being built in the USA! This realization solved my graphical alignment problems, and allowed me the opportunity to show that this particular RPG is a multi-national effort.
I will get the rest finished up as soon as possible, and post pics of my work. I've done more than the pics show, and I want to get some video when I can as well. The motor mount will be rubber banded in place for testing, I may fly it that way just to get some factor. Lol The three bladed rotor system is coming along nicely, pics to follow soon.
Regards Gents,
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; Apr 26, 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added photo
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:14 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Rotor system

This is the three bladed rotor system in progress. The photo shows the blade blanks, Ply root reinforcements, leading edge wire, and the three blade flex plate. This is not the rotor system from the plans, I'm utilizing some spare materials I already had on hand from an AcoA Gyro-Bee. Ultimately my RPG will have the two-blade system when I've logged some time with my RPG, and the blade issues are resolved.
Regards,
-Mike
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:33 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
648 Posts
Hi Mike

I haven't seen a gyro with such fine covering before in fact, its the finest plane I've seen covered. Excellent work Mike, just don't ding it!

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Closed Thread