HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:23 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
That's why I posted it Rich. I posted first, so you're copying me. I'm only kidding, I'm sure our take on the theme will be different enough that they will both be very unique. I justed wanted to Honor You and the U.K. a bit with my scheme.
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:44 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Master Airscrew caution

I've used the master airscrew gearbox on five of my autogyros. It works well, and it looks good. One word of caution however, the mounting surface on the bottom leaves a small gap on the single screw side. The problem with that is if you tighten the screw too much it deforms the case causing friction against the gear inside(although it's not used it's there) slowiing the spindle. The fix is easy; just place washers or spacers under the gap before tightening the screw to prevent warping, and get the screw tight enough.
Hope this helps,
-Mike
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:49 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi gang,
Just a few more pics to show what I've done. I hope to finish covering and trimming the model soon. Then it's waiting for parts.
Rich could you let me know what motor/esc/battery combo you have? I know the plans state the required specs, but I want to buy the stuff you've tested, and proven already. I don't see any reason to deviate from what you've done, and Joe's ESC mishap spooked me a bit.
Take care guys,
-Mike
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:47 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
WOW MIKE! I thought I was a fast builder! It looks great man! And very clean too!

Keep up the good work!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:57 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Mike....it is looking awesome!!! Joe....you flying today? Has more of the bad weather hit you yet? We got sun a day early....now I am scrambling to get all my stuff ready............

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:16 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Ok guys,
I got a little bit more completed today. Basically the airframe is complete with the following exceptions:
Servos/control linkages, Motor, motor mount, ESC, Battery, Rec, Trim/detailing, and last but not least the rotor blades.
It's in the state an ARFaircraft comes out of the box.(Sorta) In any event the hard work is over, and the fun begins now. I've gotta order some parts so I'm at work stopage until they come in. I can, however, work on the trim scheme and I'll keep you all posted.
Rich I can't wait to fly this thing! I wish I could afford to fly you to the U.S. to test fly it for me. It looks so good, and you did a real bang up job designing it! It only took 4 evenings to get to this state, I can only imagine how quick to build the Laser cut kits will be. A couple of my friends are already green with envy. I'm looking forward to your blade build, and detailed info on your Motor/ESC/Batt combination.
Regards Gents,
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; Mar 31, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:42 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Wow Mike!!!! The RPG is looking great!!!! You have made Rich proud I would think!!!

Great work man!!!

Dave
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:06 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Thanks Dave, I certainly am proud of it so far. I think the RPG will be one of my favorite Autogyro's. I just hope I can learn to fly it as well as Rich does. It's your turn to build one now Dave.
-Mike
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Mike.....that puppy is looking awesome! Nice job with the vent holes! Have the screen in there and everything! WOW!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:43 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Speaking of Puppy; I'm trying to find the right size stuffed animal to go with my U.K. theme that's in progress.
-Mike
Old Apr 01, 2009, 03:33 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,843 Posts
Mike,
That sure looks good in red!..you have made an excellent job in a very short time ..wish I could build as quick as you guys ...the Red Devil

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Apr 02, 2009, 02:26 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
In honor of the Designer from the U.K.

Rich,
I appreciate your kind words about my RPG, it means a lot. I've done the trim job and need to re-assemble everything, I hope you enjoy it. I will try to complete the rest as soon as I can. It's meant as a tribute to your British ingenuity! I hope that your wife approves as well since she had the same idea. I suppose it could be a tribute to her to for allowing you enough time in the shop to bring us the RPG.
I would like to order the motor/Esc/Batt/Prop as soon as possible, but I still haven't found the post about your EXACT set up by brand name(sorry if I've missed it, but I want to ensure my RPG flies like yours). I will certainly be watching your blade build as well. Thanks so much man, this is going to turn out to be a very cool Autogyro.

Regards,
-Mike
Old Apr 02, 2009, 03:45 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Ok guys,
I've just watched Joe's Vid with the tail wheel. I was also reading Rich's post about tailboom length changes due to steep fusalage angles on takeoff and landing. I fly mostly off grass so I wasn't too concerned about scraping the tailboom. My gear is slightly higher than the plan(completely unintentional ) so that gives a me a little extra clearance. I don't fly well enough that I will be pushing that envelope with it any time soon. I did note that if I were to make a mistake on takeoff or landing by getting too steep the rudder could contact the ground. I decided to "Dumb thumb" proof my RPG so I don't inadvertantly remove the rudder. I didn't go as high tech as a wheel , I just added a small triangle piece of Birch ply as a tail skid.

-Mike
Old Apr 02, 2009, 06:05 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike.....that is one heck of a covering job!!! You do nice work. I am WAY impressed!

Congrats on a beautiful gyro!

Dave
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
That looks awesome Mike! Love the car too! If I ever come to DeRidder I want a ride!
Closed Thread