SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:50 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Rich I don't believe in curses, so if you have any cursed items you're getting rid of, I'll gladly take them off your hands. Besides; it's bad luck to be superstitious.
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:53 AM
Suck it and see
Cromer, North Norfolk Coast, UK
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Hi Rich, Mike, Everyone,

Yes they were the same blades so this is the second time they have flown alone!

All mended now with a hurriedly made head bearing! (See pics). I do not have a lathe, so I made this from...
A short length of UPVC overflow pipe.
A short length of wardrobe rail.
2 * 6mm by 19mm bearings.
6mm threaded rod.
6mm nuts & washers.
Birch ply.

Looks a bit stark at the moment, and could possibly do with being a little shorter, but we will see. I intend to paint it matt black so it blends in a bit better.

I know it looks a bit like a miniature version of a wild bird box, and weighs quite a bit more than the MA gearbox.

I was all set to try it this afternoon, but found out I had left my Tx switched on, so charging at the moment. Will report back when tested!

Regards all,
John
Norfolk Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Norfolk Flyer
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:15 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,865 Posts
How did it go John?

The higher the rotor the more stable it will become, but it will become weaker in roll control.

Don't leave it outside for too long! the blue tits will be nesting it

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:02 PM
Suck it and see
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Hi Rich,
Wind much too strong today but Tuesday looks possible. I'm expecting even more of that characteristic in flight whistle if the Blue Tits get there first.
John
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
392 Posts
John
A bit unusual, but I love your ingenuity!
Hope she goes well for you and the blue tits LOL
Im at the field tomoz also
Cali
Cali is online now Find More Posts by Cali
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,865 Posts
John and anyone whose stuck for a gearbox,

I have found this gearbox that looks to me as though it will do the trick for anyone unable to get a master Airscrew jobby. 6mm output shaft and aluminium too!!

Heres the link

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/gradient-gear-p-405024.html

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
That looks a lot like the Monster Box or Monster Box Extreme that is avalable in the US.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
Suck it and see
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Light winds today so I took the RPG to the flying field with it's home brewed rotor head bearing.

Results - excellent! Really positive feel to the controls, and I suspect tougher than the MA gearbox as it has a 6mm shaft throughout. It ends up running about 10mm higher than the MA gearbox, but that does not seem to make any difference.

Suppose I'll have to paint it now!

Regards all,
John
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:56 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi John,
I would suppose you could sell those here in the forum if you were so inclined. If not, perhaps you could post your plans since it worked out so well. Anyways John, congratulations!

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:41 AM
Suck it and see
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Mike,
I will draw up a plan and post it here in case anyone is interested. When I make the next one it will be a touch shorter.

John
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:26 AM
Suck it and see
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Bird box bearing head

OK here it is. Not exactly an engineering drawing, but it should enable anyone without a lathe to build a good strong bearing head at minimal cost.

The bottom nut was spot welded onto the shaft, but could be secured in other ways, like centre punching the threads and using a threadlock liquid. Either way, just make sure it does not come off!

I know that using threaded rod through a bearing is not 100% right, but this was done to simplify materials supply.

The top nut must be a friction fit on the thread, allowing a little end play in the whole shaft. Again this can be done by centre punching threads and threadlocking.

The outer tube is white UPVC overflow pipe. This happily has a 19mm ID, just right for a 6mm * 19mm bearing. The bearings are spaced by thin wall steel tube sold as wardrobe rail. This also has a 19mm OD, so no lathe work required.

The 2 small self tapping screws perform two tasks, they hold the large spacer in place and also prevent the outer tube from pulling through the top plate.

There is no end thrust on the top bearing, so lock it in place with a spot of CA and that will be fine. Just don't let any CA get in the bearing!

I'm not sure of the availability of the 2 types of tube outside the UK, but here they are available from all the DIY stores quite cheaply.

When making the ply box, secure it together with cocktail stick dowels and epoxy. Same for fixing it to the head plate. Sides of box are a snug fit against tube.

Edit note... Be sure to glue tube into base and glue between tube and sides of box. I know this means it will be difficult to disassemble, but lets be optimistic... will you ever need to?

Have fun!

John
Last edited by Norfolk Flyer; Mar 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Add glue advice.
Closed Thread