Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:53 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Build Log
International RPG

Hey guys,
Just wanted to show what a couple of hours gets you with the RPG. I agree with Joe if this was a laser cut kit you could build it start to finish in a few days. I have finished cutting all the parts(Wow, that was not fun), and done some of the main fusalage build.
I thought I made a mistake cutting the mast front and back pieces because I couldn't make things line up during the trial fit. I matched the parts to the plan sheet, and they matched perfectly. Hmmm. I decided to adjust the parts to match the side-view of the completed mast, and that worked out for me. I hope that's ok. If not I'll chalk this up to practice for later RPG builds. I'm pretty excited, and expect to have the airframe completed very soon.
I need to order the blades to build the TWO blade set up, and the material for the TWO blade hub plate. Did I miss the plan for the hub plate because I can't seem to find it?
I also need to order all the electrics for the build. I want to achieve the same performance that Rich did with the RPG prototype. I'm kinda novice when it comes to selecting motors and esc. Feel free to give opinions on this topic before I order.

Rich I've sent a couple of PM's(I think anyway, I may have botched the send). Here's the summary of them if you didn't get them; I have a few questions concerning the build, and would greatly appreciate your input on a couple of ideas I have. I hope to make you proud with this build. I'm already having fun with it. Thanks so much!!!!

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Last edited by Boneswamped; Jun 10, 2009 at 01:42 AM. Reason: title change
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:17 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Ok Mike,
Firstly thats fantastic!!..secondly a little story.

When the plans were first put together the intension was to keep the mast front and back lengths the same and for the builder to just finish them off to the same length, when the mast was assembled. Jochen picked this up the very first time he set eyes on the plan as he made a virtual 3D model and fitted all the parts together without even cutting one piece of wood!! so the plan has been altered again and I can say it has the right sized front and rear mast to suit the side view. As for the lazer cut parts, these being worked on right now, I know Chas has bought a set and I have one being built with another MK2 version waiting in the wings.
Chas ..how did it all fit together?

I have lots of interest about the RPG..but I need feedback from the fliers out there. Until then I will not be sending anymore plans out as its costing me a small fortune!!..lol..I have now sent out around 17 plans so Im just going to sit back and wait ..I believe that the RPG should fly well, but so far apart from my prototype (and Lens) I have not had much good news .Perhaps there is something wrong with the set up when built from the plan..I dont know...I will have to finish my second RPG off and stick to the plan. This is the only way I can systematically find an error with the hangles and dangles! From the 2 videos I have seen Im thinking that the neutral rotor pitch is incorrect and needs to be further back? We will get it right in the end!
Mike I hhave repied to the PM.

Please keep us informed of your progress..lots of pictures!!

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:17 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Hey Mike,
Two mistakes that I found on the plans.....one was what you just mentioned with the mast, so I just matched it up with the plans and recut. The other one is the thick spline on top of the must. There is a cut out piece that is about 7" but this is incorrect. It should be about 8 inches.....look at my picutres below. Both of these things have been corrected on the new plans....

Glad there is another RPG around here I can fly with!

Looks great man!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:39 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Guys,
Please remember, the RPG was originally desinged for myself only, I never intended to make plans of it and I have spent many hours measuring and doing pencil drawings of the prototype for Dave to convert to the digital drawnings ( because I was constantly asked by many people),the time Dave has put into this project has been greatly appriciated. You have to realise I am not a designer and therefore cannot get these things right first time so Im sure you will all find mistakes, this is not yet a proven design and is still in the development stages..you guys are ALL helping me out here and for this I thank you.

All I ask is that if you do find a problem please do not 'show the world' my cock ups..just email me with your findings. All we can do is improve and better the plans.

Regards Rich
Old Mar 28, 2009, 03:37 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Rich,
I just wanted you to know I certainly didn't intend to give the perception that YOU had "Cocked Up" the plans. Quite the opposite actually, I figured for certain I had made a mistake with the build and was looking for re-assurance. This build seems to be going very smoothly, suprising to me since I'm building it. I understand your point completely, and will run anything else by you first. Speaking of which, I am not getting your PM so there must be a problem on my end.

I made the vertical fin pieces before I went to bed. I made a mistake in the direction of the wood grain, I managed to go opposite on all the parts. Should I re-make those parts, or will it work with the grains wrong?

Regards,
-Mike
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:20 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Rich,
I'll try not to waste too much of your time, I'm not getting your PM's so forgive me if you answered these questions in PM already.
-What is you exact motor/esc/batt setup?
-Which AB blades do I order for the two blade setup?(Sorry if it was in the prototype posts but there's a ton to sort through).
-How do I make the two blade head plate?

I'm cracking on with the build, and have only paused to rest my wood cutting hand. I am very happy with the way my RPG is progressing. I will have the airframe completed sooner than I thought. Once finished, I have to order the electrics, blades, and some finishing details to get in the air. I'm at the mercy of FedEx once I order(I hope I don't forget anything), and I'll keep you up to date.

Take care,
-Mike
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:04 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Sorry Rich.....I just didn't want Mike to make the same mistakes and I could of stoped him on the mast error. And besides, we are only human....Great Planes and SIG always have corrections on there websites all the time, so it's no big deal.
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:07 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Mike,
What are you using to cut out the parts for the RPG?? I bought a knife meant for cutting carpet. I think it may work, just curious on what you are using.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:11 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Dave,
I used a scroll saw for the ply parts, then I decided to try it on the balsa parts(worked great there too). I cut the first part with a box blade. The box blade worked ok but it was difficult to get accurate lines. Then I looked around my shop and noticed the scroll saw my dumb bought three years earlier. Dee De De!
Take it easy,
-Mike
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:48 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Dave,
Lite ply cuts easily with a scalple, you just need to score it a couple of times
Regards Rich
Old Mar 29, 2009, 05:00 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Good morning/good night Guys,
I've been up all night and have completed the pylon and head assembly. I did the roll hinge slightly different than the plan. Instead of seperate plastic hinges, I used a single .032" Polypropylene hinge. I simply did not have the hinges the plan calls for on hand, and I'm familiar with the method I used from other builds. I didn't have the specified thickness ply for the head parts, but was able to match the design thickness when finished. i.e instead of one of the parts called for 1mm part and a 1.5 mm laminated, but I used 1 piece of 2.5mm and so on. works well, and meets the design specs so all the spacing is correct.
I also finished the tailboom, horizontal stabilizer, and vertical fin parts but have not yet attached everything. Pics to follow guys, gotta go to sleep for now.
Regards,
-Mike

P.s. thanks for the info I requested on the other thread Rich, You Rock!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:08 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
My shop looks as though there was a Balsa Dust Storm. I've been shaping and sanding to get the nose and forward section complete, and I'm having a blast! This little RPG is starting to look like an aircraft. I have to go on manuever Tuesday, but I will finish my RPG as soon as I can. I will be at a stand still for parts soon, but I will post when I complete the aircraft. I certainly have to give it to you Rich, the RPG is spot on!
Regards Gents,
-Mike
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:59 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Looks great Mike!!!!! It is really coming along and in a short abount of time also! Kudos! I cant wait to see her in the air.

Have you thought about a trim/color scheme Yet???

Anyways....two thumbs up Mike!!!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:44 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Color Scheme/ Theme

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but I'll give a little hint. I'm only hinting because people are building these RPG's so fast someone is liable to do it before me. Joe really set the bar high with his build, so I have to try something a little different. I have enjoyed Rich's threads so much, and the RPG is such an awsome design; I've decided to do a tribute to the U.K. to proudly state where the RPG was designed. I hope it turns out as well as my vision.
Regards,
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; Mar 30, 2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added photo
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Looks like you are going in the same direction as my wifes thoughts on my next covering job!
Closed Thread