SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:00 PM
Joined Mar 2003
267 Posts
Alert
3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive

As you may already know, 3M has recently changed the formula of their Super 77 adhesive. The new formula (ACETONE) should not be used on EPS foam. Just wanted to warn anybody who doesn't already know. Thanks!
jimboyzguy is offline Find More Posts by jimboyzguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2003, 09:42 PM
manahawkin, NJ
Joined Jan 2000
322 Posts
At the local hardware they have a powder that can be mixed with water to act as a contact cement for formica. This is perfect for our use covering foam models.

Jarvis
ahab is offline Find More Posts by ahab
Old Apr 04, 2003, 01:22 AM
Joined Mar 2003
267 Posts
Really?

Do you brush it on? That would seem like it would be very thick and uneven, like rubber cement or other contact cements.

Jim
Old Apr 04, 2003, 11:26 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,605 Posts
Dave Browns Southerns Sorghum... still one of the best contact cements for foam applications
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Apr 04, 2003, 03:56 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
One of the best adhesives for skinning foam wings is polyurathane wood glue. It is normally catalyzed by the mosture in the atmosphere and it foams a little as it cures. If applied very thinly to the skin and the foam core is lightly misted with water, the polyurathane wood glue expands more. When the skins are assembled in the core beds and weighed down, the polyurathane glue expands into the crevases in the foam between the beads and takes a tenacious grip on the foam. It also allows repositioning the skins which makes it less critical in assembly than contact cements. When water mist catalyzed it only tskes about and hour to cure. It has less creep than contact cements and the bond is more permanent. Another advantage is that the wing skins do not have to be glued together first, just taped edge to edge with masking tape. The polyurathane expands up through the taped seam to complete the joint. Perhaps best of all, the cured glue sands very easily without gumming up the sand paper.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 04, 2003, 11:51 PM
Joined Mar 2003
267 Posts
So are you talking about using this glue with Ultracote? It seems a bit strange to use it with a heat-adhereing film.
Old Apr 05, 2003, 04:56 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
jimboyzguy,

No, I'm talking about using polyurathane wood glue to glue wood skins like balsa or obeche to expanded polystyrene (EPS) beaded (white) foam. After skinning the EPS foam with wood , Ultracoat can be applied in the usual way.

Covering EPP foam is another matter. In the case of EPP foam, it is not dissolved by acetone so the new formulation of 3M77 can be used to enhance the bond between Ultra coat and yhr mylar or glass filament tape often used on EPP befor covering with ultra coat.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 06, 2003, 08:52 PM
manahawkin, NJ
Joined Jan 2000
322 Posts
JK Aerotech's site under tools/supplies lists their Jungle Milk.. a 4oz pdr mixed with water for 4dollars. I guess you brush it on thinly. Contact cement has been used using a old credit card to wipe it on thinly..a great use for those "baddies" (try on piece of spare foam..just in case)

On a thread on glues some one mentioned the formica "contact" adhesive that is mixed with water and thinly brushed on.. the contention was it is much cheaper that "jungle Milk".. I believe it was on the foamies section..

Jarvis
ahab is offline Find More Posts by ahab
Last edited by ahab; Apr 06, 2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 02, 2003, 10:01 AM
USA, WA, Wenatchee
Joined Feb 2003
95 Posts
3M Super 77 Alternatives?

What are good alternative spray glues to be used? I've seen spray glues from Elmers, Duco and others. Is there any one particular chemical like acetone to watch out for?
raydon_12 is offline Find More Posts by raydon_12
Old May 08, 2003, 12:04 AM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
re: Elmer's

I just bought a can of Elmer's "Craft Bond" acid-free multi-purpose spray adhesive from the "local fabric store". I was looking for cans of the old 3M Formula 77, but they didn't carry any of the #m products at this store. So, I thought I would try a small can as an experiment.

It says on the label that it is great on a number of different surfaces including foams.

It says it contains acetone, dimethyl ether, isohexane, n-pentane.
I was not hopeful seeing acetone as the first ingredient. The label specifically says it contains no hexane, which is the solvent that caused 3M to have to reformulate their product.

I had two 4"x4"x20" blocks of styrofaom blocks that I was going to hotwire into a pair of floats one fine day and never got around to it. I sprayed each of these blocks rather heavily from about 8 to 10 inches away and let them stand for 15 minutes. There was absolutely no attack visible on the foam. I stuck them together and Shazammm!!! They were really stuck!!!

This adhesive smells just like the acrylate adhesive in 3M77 and didn't appear to attack the foam at all. Thought I would pass this one on for the rest of you.

Regards,

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old May 08, 2003, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2003
267 Posts
Thanks Dale! That sounds great! I'll have to give it a try on my next plane.

Jim
Old Feb 04, 2008, 03:01 PM
Joined Feb 2008
3 Posts
In case anyone else searched for this like I did, the old 3M formula is now called 3M Super 77 Classic. You can check the MSDS on the link below to verify it has no acetone in it.

It is purchasable directly from 3M http://www.3mestore.com/62443749304.html, currently available for $12.39/can.

Also, this site http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...m?cata_id=6100 says they sell the original formula
GeneralChat is offline Find More Posts by GeneralChat
Old Feb 04, 2008, 04:23 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
GC,
Do you know if either will ship to a banned state? If they won't it is no better than not being able to get it.....

For myself, I use the 77 to adhere composite cloth to the foam core so that later on I can wet the cloth out with epoxy. I do not use it by itself to adhere tot he foam. Also I use it to glue multiple panels of foam together in preparation to sheeting with cloth.

I do not know if the 77 softens or dissolves but I do know that the epoxy penetrates and at least helps with the bond. Make applying leading edge fabric and doublers in key locations a lot easier.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 04, 2008, 10:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
3 Posts
I don't know. I just found it today and haven't ordered yet, and it isn't banned in my state.
GeneralChat is offline Find More Posts by GeneralChat
Old Feb 05, 2008, 07:59 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
Lucky.

How's about ordering a case and shipping some to the rest of us?
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High