HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2009, 03:09 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,448 Posts
Discussion
This week I 'ave mostly been listening to..

... the marvellous folk/bluegrass music of a couple of youngsters I've mentioned before, Jay Bradberry and Michael Giveren, collectively forming the folk duo Jaywalkers.

Jay and Michael made it to the final of the BBC Young Folk Musicians awards before Christmas and have expanded their repertoire with some ace new toons. Being bluegrass they're that strange combination of murder, unfortunate "family friendlyness", folks on the run and the occaisional uplifting bit too.

I must have listened to these tracks twenty times or more in the past week.
Ab-so-blinkin-lutely fantastic performances and some of the tracks are now on their updated webpage.

http://www.myspace.com/miknjaybobs

So the next time someone complains about feckless teens just point them at the positive aspects of youngsters' involvement in music of all types.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:53 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,030 Posts
I must admit I rather like bluegrass music with my favourite being I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow by the Soggy Bottom Boys...even though they're a fictitious band .
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:45 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Nice tunes.

I got introduced to bluegrass at about 12. Mom went thru a phase, and, well, she owned the stereo.

It started with my sister hanging out with a bunch of biologist types, who have a penchant for singing around the campfire at night after working in the field. Some of her friends are downright talented, and soon made their way through all the folk music they knew, and dug right into bluegrass for the challenge. When I reached college age, and started hanging with some of these guys, I discovered that bluegrass sounds best around a campfire.

These two are hecka talented. Jay's voice is very nice, and clear. However, she sings like she is clamping down on all her vowels, except the few times she really lets go. If I knew her, I would push her towards a vocal coach for about a year. She'd have a lot more power, and a better tone for the trouble. Plus she'd be easier to understand.

Thanks for the music.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay