Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:14 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

I sprayed the dull coat today, mounted the canopy in the open position after weathering it with paint chipping and dull coating, sprayed the wheel bulges and mounted them to the wings, cut out the wheel wells, cut the cowl for the arming switch and painted the switch, painted the spinner, gave the pilot a wash with very thin black paint then wiped him off to give his features definition then lightly sprayed him as I dull coated the fuse, ground flat spots on the retract adapter rods, and reinstalled all the control surface gear including playing with the tail wheel set up..... Whewww......

So the P-40 is basically done. Tomorrow will be balance, re-tighten all the fittings and adjust throws. I do need to get a couple of servo wire extensions. I should charge some batteries and run up the motor.

There was a cross member that came out with the wheel wells. Hope that wasn't structural. It ran diagonal just below the floor of the well and the well was glued to it. It's cut now and if the wings fold well then it was important

Here's some more pics. It's not as white as it appears in these pics. The flash makes the white pop. I should be able to see it in the air !!

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com (Home of the fighting Hamseter )
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Last edited by Joespeeder; Sep 26, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:52 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Sweet skills.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:59 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Set up the throws, painted the wheel wells, and secured all the bits of the retracts.

Here's some video of the retracts cycling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riBgrf_ZZgU

Well... Something failed in the upload to YouTube. This video has been processing for over 6 hours. I'll reload it and let you know when it's working.

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com
Last edited by Joespeeder; Sep 28, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:01 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Ok got it to work....

I had to republish and reload the video to get it to work. Something got goofed on the first one it never did play on YouTube.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvxAk0OUUwA

Joe
Old Sep 28, 2009, 08:57 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

The P-40 is ready to maiden. Everything is tight and secured, battery's are velcro'd, servo wires zip tied and color coded. I even looked at some full scale take offs to match the real retract stagger. Mine pulls the left side gear up first just like the real ones.

Now if I can good weather tomorrow.

Joe

Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:49 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Taaaaa Daaa..... She flys!!!

Here's the video. I'll post the details in a bit,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXdNUvnPTr0

Joe
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:39 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Ok here's the report....

We had two great flights on the P-40 last night. The maiden which you see in the video went very well except for the ground handling which I think is a tail wheel to close to the fuse and hitting so that it skids and you loose control for a second. Combine this with the toe out I have due to my grinding flat spots on the 5/32 connector rods that connect the Lados to the Struts by hand. I did the best I could but hand grinding those flat spots with a hand held Dremel is tough.
Whatever it is I'll find it.

The part you don't see in the video is John going vertical to avoid the trees at the corner of the field where the P-40 ended up. Thanks to 172+ watts per pound that was no problem I got excited and went to look outside the viewfinder of the camera so that's why you don't see that bit. I moved...

You can see most of the flight in the video.

Thursdays are Training Night at the PMAC field so things started to get busy and John got pulled away to do real work. I decided it was time to earn my wings. I grabbed another instructor to spot me and chat with as I flew and lined up to take off. I was nervous due to John's ground handling experiences. I advanced the throttle, let the P-40 run for a bit feeding in rudder as needed and I was off !! I didn't want any troubles so I went to military power, pulled the gear, and just let it climb before doing any thing.

The flight was GREAT !! after a couple of laps I was doing low high speed passes, warbird aerobatics, and having a great time... Dave suggested I try the flaps at altitude. So I went to 1/2 then full flap. The P-40 slows a good amount with those big flaps hanging down. It did pitch up but that could be dialed out. I played with the flaps for a bit then it was time to start shooting landing approaches.

I went to full flap, turned base and closed the throttle. It was starting to slow a little too much, applied a little power,turn final, pass the tree line and nose down about 20degrees on final to the end of the runway. I leveled at about 1-2 feet above he runway and cut the power. I just kept it level and let it settle slowly as I flew it down the runway. It touched just before the mid point of the field VERY gently !!!

I'm not kidding.... it was my best landing of the year... Lots of back slapping and warm fuzzy comments

So I have some things to look at but the P-40 is a GREAT success. Ed Lyerly's Eflite 110 setup using a 3 blade prop works perfectly on a warbird of almost 11lbs. I'm sure I could make things hot if I pushed it hard all the time but it was very comfortable to fly around at LESS than 1/2 throttle.

We are running out of light, weather, and time to fly the big warbirds here in Michigan. I'm betting we get one maybe two more warbird nights. I'll post pics or video if I can.

It's off to the Eastern Front.... Otherwise known as indoor flying season....

Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; Oct 19, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 01:49 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,052 Posts
Very nice detailing, what do you use for the panel lines?
TBolt is online now Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Oct 04, 2009, 06:37 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Thanks TBolt,

The stock covering had panel lines printed on it. So I used Chartpak tape and covered each panel line using the printed line as a guide. Once I spayed the based colors top and bottom I removed the Chartpak tape and weathered it from there so that any variation would show up in the lines as well.

Once everything was weathered I dull coated the entire plane which kinda filled in the panel lines a bit. But everything is sealed and you can still feel the lines in some spots. But mostly you just see them.

Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; Oct 05, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:04 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's a new video of the P-40.

It's mainly just low level passes but I tarted it up some for your enjoyment. Ok... I got goofing around with it but you can see the new colors in the air quiet well and that's all I was really going for in this flight.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bACdNz8MDFk

Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; Oct 19, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:55 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Joe, nice conversion you did. The detail pics will help me a lot.

I just got this kit and am starting the build. Will be using Scorpion 4025-12 with Castle ICE 100 ESC. Still doing my homework to decide on 6s-8s. All the calculators seem to say the prop is to big, regardless, but my watt meter doesn't match ANY of the calculations on my other planes, so... I definitely want to use the 3 blade prop, so am ordering the CB spinner.

Interesting retract conversion, may look into that.

Will post more as progression continues. Being in central Iowa, flying season starts in a couple months. Hope to be ready.

Our local club has finally bought a roll of petromat, so we will have a fairly smooth surface to work from. I have been flying for almost 30 years, and usually grease my landings, but our field has always been to rough for retracts. I'm hoping for better results now. This will be aircraft #3 with retracts, and #6 electric. #4 glow-electric conversion.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:09 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Staggerflyer,

Thanks for your kind words. You'll enjoy this P-40, it's a nice flyer.

I really enjoy this plane with its simple layout and nice traits in the air.

Be sure to post lots of pics here so we can watch your progress.

Joe

Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:30 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd show my most recent passion..... Gun Flash lights...

I'm using some 180 degree 5mm LEDs that put out 15,000 mcd's. So they are really really bright and can be seen from as wide an angle as I would want. They look greenish in the videos but the LEDs are warm white in color which is closer to real life than that bright bluish white of normal white LEDs.

The controller is from Dimension Engineering and is programmable so I can set the rate and sequence the LEDs fire. I just finished mounting the LEDs in the P-40s nose and wings and I'm waiting for the controller to get here to finish the job.

The P-40 needs some minor tweeking including making some new of those little connectors that allow the struts to mount into my Lado retracts and to realign the motor as I moved it in the mount when I did my face planting 3 point landing last season.

Here's some video of my FW-190 that I just finished the gun flash mod and some raw video of the P-40 in it's current state.

I'll post video of the finished mod when I get to that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhoRy...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8kF0BiDrHc

Joe

Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:55 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Nice, By Jove!
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:57 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Life just got complicated.... I received the DeLight module today and I went to install it in my P-40 only to find I had every slot filled in my receiver !!! It's been a bit since looked at how I wired things last year and after following some wires I found that I had already used the extra AUX channel setting up the delay in my retracts. So I couldn't just add a Y cable to the ailerons like I did on my FW-190 since I still want my retracts to work with the delay as programed.

So I went searching for a servo slower to add on one of my retracts independent of the Rx. But I needed a servo slower that I could control the up and down speed at different rates. I don't want to wait for a slow cycle on the extension of my gear.

I found a cheep servo slower that you can program different speed on each cycle from here.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8863

Here's a short thread on how it works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1189626

Perfect !! I ordered 2 !!! So now I can keep my staggered up cycle and standard down cycle and use the Rx channel I'm freeing up for the gun flash !!

Wheeeew.... Thought I was going to have to buy a new Rx and rip everything apart.

I'll post pics when as I progress.

Joe