HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Build Log
Working winch

After watching some of the tug's at some of the towing meetings last year, the TBW saw a need for a working winch for an up and coming project.

While i was searching out specifications for Pittman motors recently, i found out that Pittman make a 19v small motor with a 187:1 gearbox on the end of it that gives 40RPM at the spindle on 19v. The new price was WAY too much.. so i gave up on that idea....
Then, the following day while searching on evilbay, i found one that was 'new and unused' for $17 inc. P&P.

The design department went to work and came up with a simple, but reasonably scale looking winch...

I was at a loss for the 1:1 gears i needed for the motor / drum drive.. until i found some on SDP website.. at $17 EACH!!!...
When i was in the LHS last week, i was browsing through the car parts section (you never know what might come in useful!) and found a pair of Traxxas spur gears from one of these 'nitro trucks' thingies that were about the right diameter... and only $3 each. They needed an adapter to fit the 3/16" stainless shaft i had, but i soon made up the required adapters.

This is as far as i have got so far, there is to be a 1/16" deck below the 'base plate' shown.. and also a 1/4" ply plate to secure the winch to the hull / bulkheads.

Oh.. and while i was at it, i have made a 2/3rds scale non-working version to go on the fore deck.
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:26 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,836 Posts
Oooo, Nice, Toes!

Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,381 Posts
Indeed! I think the MPB needs one...
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:45 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Ah - be careful....
I had a working winch two seasons ago. Direct drive like yours.
Some issues:
1. letting line out was too slow
2. pulling line in was OK
3. line has a funny way of tangling around the wrong stuff - winch likes to pull things apart
4. no way to make a fast emergency release in case your tow decides to sink
5. line doesn't wind neatly - tend to get a wad in the center of the reel so a non-scale narrow but deep reel is what works.

So - make a scale dummy winch for on deck. Run the line thru it and below deck to the real working winch that incorporates a drive with some slip/clutch mechanism, a "freewheel release" mode and a "lock" mode for solid towing. Also needs a microswitch to shut it down if it tangles. All this is optional of course, but just one season with the original winch had a lot of "learning events".
My new winch has the safety/operation features above. See it at these posts:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2373439

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=29

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2265945

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2265942

Hope this might be useful to ya.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:01 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
Ah - be careful....
I had a working winch two seasons ago. Direct drive like yours.
Some issues:
1. letting line out was too slow
2. pulling line in was OK
3. line has a funny way of tangling around the wrong stuff - winch likes to pull things apart
4. no way to make a fast emergency release in case your tow decides to sink
5. line doesn't wind neatly - tend to get a wad in the center of the reel so a non-scale narrow but deep reel is what works.
Thanks guys...

Dan
The direct drive i have is 40 RPM @ 19v... and is 25 RPM @ 12v...

1/ Its only going to be used at close quarters, so 25RPM should be fast enough.
2/ As above
3/ The 'H' frame in front of the winch (yet to be made) should keep the rope within the winch drum. I'm also using some thick line.. about 3/16" dia..
4/ There is no way to make an emergency release if the boat is tied off to a barge and it starts to sink with just lines anyway...
5/ See 3
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2006
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
4/ There is no way to make an emergency release if the boat is tied off to a barge and it starts to sink with just lines anyway...
Actually i was thinking, you could drill a hole in the drum, run the line through it(but don't tie it) and wrap extra line over it to hold it in place. If the barge sinks, just keep letting out line and it should pull free of the drum when all the line runs out.
Ironman929 is offline Find More Posts by Ironman929
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:55 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
ironman that sounds feasible, what about a cutter on the line, that when flicked a blade slices the line, that way you wont loose all your cable.

depending on depth, and length of line, you could reel out as the tow sinks, (or have a mechanism that lowers the drive motor off the winch, effectively free wheeling the winch, that way it would spool out under gravity. you could then run to shore with the boat. and hopefully use the towline as a recovery line for the tow.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:13 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
The winch I built has three reel positions - drive, freewheel and lock. A servo moves a shuttle bar that slides the reel on an axle to one of the three positions. To release line in an emergency (I had a PT boat tangle my towline when he ripped right across it), the servo is adjusted to the free position and the line peels right off. The line end is in a hole as Ironman suggests. Works just fine.
Will post details and more pics in another thread if anyone interested.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:43 AM
Minnesota
Joined Dec 2008
19 Posts
I use that same Dumas motor to raise and lower a hard hat diver off of my salvage barge. To solve the line tangle problem I use and old "Reel" type fishing reel as the line drum. Purchased the reel at a garage sale for ten bucks and replaced the crank handle with a gear. I use an old Novak speed control for direction. Works great.
RC Boat is offline Find More Posts by RC Boat
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:16 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,495 Posts
I scanned the titles and saw "Working Wench" and had to do a double-take.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor