HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 16, 2003, 06:18 PM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
wildpalms,
Is it possible that EU agreements keep the prices a bit higher there? International prices usually are a reflection of trade agreements, tariffs, etc. With so many different arrangements among different nations or trading blocs, it isn't surprising that prices will vary widely. That is the beauty of E commerce. It smashes those barriers as consumers purchase from those trade areas with the lowest prices.

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2003, 08:20 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
Czech cars- The skoda saga

My folks went to the UK on a house exchange. The brits had a Skoda. My father had a diesel rabbit and the brits complained that the brakes were no good and the tires bald. something about a vaccuum pump and the tires were bald, but only the front ones. Their other car, also a VW overheated on the way back from NY.

My parents had trouble with their car in England too. I think the old Skodas were only slightly better than Ladas and Trebiants.

So when I was in europe three years the newer Skodas looked like pretty decent cars. The laugh is that I think VW makes the running gear now, like the Volvos too. But VW's are better now than they were 15 years ago too, which is why they may be getting more market share again. They all have really nice alloy wheels, which I guess uis because there is a lot of Bauxite around there.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old May 17, 2003, 07:19 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
The old Skoda's were dreadful, better than the E German Trabant which was paper mache

The new ones are VW, they ploughed a lot of money in. The funny part is that the running gear is now common across many makes and models.

Skoda, VW, Audi, Seat etc but with wide ranging prices. Quality seems to be the buzz word these days, us consumers have never had so much power.

The higher prices of EU produce have as much to do with labour laws, living standards etc It's probably very much like the US in that respect. The old eastern bloc countries are practically having to start again, almost third world in some respects especially economically. Won't take them long to catch up though.

I'm making the most of it Plan on getting another two AXI's this year.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Jun 19, 2003, 02:33 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
I've got 2 questions to get back on topic:

1. Where do you get them?
2. Has anyone tested them against a Hacker or Mega?

Personally, I don't care where they are made as long as I get value for money, and don't feel like I'm getting ripped off by a manufacturer who uses the fact that his motors win world champs to overprice them (not mentioning any names ).

If we could quantify their performance then I think this thread would have alot more meaning

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jun 19, 2003, 06:33 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DEPENDS
... That is the beauty of E commerce. It smashes those barriers as consumers purchase from those trade areas with the lowest prices.

JT
Depends,

Yup - as long as our government etc isn't determined to ensure we don't get out of the habit of paying high prices by adding such things as VAT, Import Duty + unpacking / re-packing and re-postage charge (plus anything else they can dream up!) - which takes us close to the 'normal' local cost!

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jun 19, 2003, 06:56 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stumax
2. Has anyone tested them against a Hacker or Mega?
Don't forget Lehner!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 19, 2003, 10:39 AM
Singapore Holland Rd
Joined Mar 2002
1,920 Posts
any 1 got those bls yet??
YZYgold is offline Find More Posts by YZYgold
Old Jun 19, 2003, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2003
385 Posts
Two points i would like to make here,good thread btw. Point one ,i will not buy goods that originate from a country whose Human rights record is poor,and for China read that as abysmal.I am a lucky man,free,well fed,able to enjoy my life with hobbies such as this.To save a pound or ten on on a purchase does not figure in my buying habits,if ,and its a big if,i know that the man woman or child making that product is abused. then no thanks.Live in the real world yes,contribute knowingly to its dark side,no.Run out of space it seems,point 2 will wait.
Al Dente is offline Find More Posts by Al Dente
Old Jun 19, 2003, 05:03 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
BEA, what are we talking about?

Bald tires? But only the front ones? Obviously some lousy QC from VW there.
And the German bauxite deposits, ah yes, that would explain why they were able to make plenty of 109's. Good thing ali wheels came into fashion post-war.
I'm gonna stop drinking Labatts.

Chas
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old Jun 19, 2003, 05:44 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Dente
Two points i would like to make here,good thread btw. Point one ,i will not buy goods that originate from a country whose Human rights record is poor,and for China read that as abysmal.I am a lucky man,free,well fed,able to enjoy my life with hobbies such as this.To save a pound or ten on on a purchase does not figure in my buying habits,if ,and its a big if,i know that the man woman or child making that product is abused. then no thanks.Live in the real world yes,contribute knowingly to its dark side,no.Run out of space it seems,point 2 will wait.
[rant on]
I don't condone any human rights violations in any country but I think you're being a little harsh on China. If you brush up on your history you'd see that China is undergoing a miraculous transformation from the dark ages into modern civilization quite rapidly. What is fueling that is their ability to market goods all over the world. Take that away and China would collapse overnight. (as would any country)

It's only been 180 years since the international slave trade was abolished. The industrial revolution saw to that and it took another 80 years for widespread child labor laws to be passed. Labor unions were a product of the 20th century. We in western society take all this for granted. No doubt, the Chinese will have true worker equity some time in the near future.

By not buying products made by third world countries you only serve to stymie their growth and eventual evolution into a society such as you yourself enjoy. The international trade union is much like the UN in that it works in slow motion.

[rant off]

--Mark

Happy supporter of all workers worldwide!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jun 19, 2003, 05:49 PM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrittinger
Buy American? Where was YOUR radio made ?
I buy QUALITY, no matter where made, here or otherwise...
If the price and quality was right, I might try one.

Mark

I concur.
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old Jun 19, 2003, 06:06 PM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
Some how, we can't seem to get off the "I object to where it was made" ramble. So OK, for those who don't want to buy chinese-made anything, go ahead and don't buy. For those of us who are interested in trying these motors, has ANYONE figured out where to get them yet? The talk continues but we still haven't a source. It's kind of hard to test something if no one has any to test.....

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Jun 19, 2003, 08:00 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thunder1
[rant on]
I don't condone any human rights violations in any country but I think you're being a little harsh on China. If you brush up on your history you'd see that China is undergoing a miraculous transformation from the dark ages into modern civilization quite rapidly. What is fueling that is their ability to market goods all over the world. Take that away and China would collapse overnight. (as would any country)

It's only been 180 years since the international slave trade was abolished. The industrial revolution saw to that and it took another 80 years for widespread child labor laws to be passed. Labor unions were a product of the 20th century. We in western society take all this for granted. No doubt, the Chinese will have true worker equity some time in the near future.

By not buying products made by third world countries you only serve to stymie their growth and eventual evolution into a society such as you yourself enjoy. The international trade union is much like the UN in that it works in slow motion.

[rant off]

--Mark

Happy supporter of all workers worldwide!
I agree!

The changes happening in the country will not be stopped by either the West nor the Communist Party of China. When the poor factory worker's stomach is full he will surely find his own way to get the rest of his human rights.

Shane
shaneyee is offline Find More Posts by shaneyee
Old Jun 19, 2003, 08:06 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I wonder which country designed these wondrous new Chinese motors?

And do they know about it yet?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 19, 2003, 09:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Wow, how did I miss all of this... it's almost more OTD than Open Discussion... even if it were about motors I'd think I'd find it in power systems... anyway, I digress....

Has there been any testing of these motors with good solid data? I've seen a bit here... is that all? BTW, if the WRAM show was any indicator, Sal at NESail has these things...

I personally will buy the best bang for the buck, I don't care where it comes from or what the people are paid. I used to, but then I realized that those pennies a day that they work for pays for food and shelter... better that than homeless eh? And if I can take 20,000 american dollars to some country and live like a king for a year, i wouldn't expect the locals were making all that much otherwise that 20K wouldn't go far.....

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Closed Thread