HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:43 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
ahhhh... soooo!!!! it was Emanuelle's grandmother that came up with the "by cheap, by twice" saying.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2003, 03:55 AM
WC,WS,WC
Joined Dec 1999
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Emanuele
I quite see your point.... but.... usually the cut out price is small, the price reduction is a minimum. When it comes to Chinese stuff the price is usually much lower with quality disadvantage.
I could not find the price of the mentioned motor, but for example their small brushed ESC rated at 50A (!) seems to cost 20US$ or 13UK£.....
This sounds really like my daughter's Chinese toys: they don't last half an hour.
Emanuele
For sure mabuchis are not all made in Japan and nonetheless no one is warried about that. My kids also have chinese toys - some of them still exists.
Countless good quality japan / korean / european made devices we use are mabuchi and other chinese made motors inside. Maby Vietnam holds a better quality immage? no problem, made in Vietnam labeled products are also growing.

Low price is good and is reasonable to buy more of what we can afford. Who is going to loose? Sure, some people. Who is going to win? Beleave me, much more people - see the examples of GWS and the easter european manufacturers of "cheaper" BL motors (but they aren't still cheaper enought).

I Have no problems in buying an ARF model made in China or in Vietnam. Do you have such problems? Suits you. I do not own a Ferrari, I bought cheaper than that, but maby you own one.

To conlude: If I can buy a brushless for almost the price of a mabuchi "by Graupner" as my LHS is selling them, wouldn't be wise not do so.
PTLdom is offline Find More Posts by PTLdom
Old Mar 28, 2003, 08:17 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
What's the problem?

As long as the utterly trustworthy Chinese factory doggedly copied a good design of motor - Hacker, Aveox, etc. - bribed all the right local Chinese officials to ensure that decent materials have been obtained, paid off the right people to get their products to a large market - the US - and has muddied the path to their factory door so that warranty claims on their motors are dealt with in the US, at the cost of their US importer - why, all is just fine and dandy in the world.

In fact, you (not me, I've got my own standards) should be positively encouraged to buy these undoubtedly fine reverse-engineered products (the moderaters may visit me around midnight if I use the term "rip-off" about the Chinese ). The glow guys have been buying their version of this idea for years now.

I can see the product reviews already - " A wonderfully powerful motor. It can, however, be very fiddly to replace the end bell and reset the timing after it comes loose, but this is not a significant problem in practice.
(We don't have carbs to come loose and leak air like the glow guys suffer from )

Somewhere in that fine country, all manner of people are lining up to collect bribes, buy new bicycles, get payed for favours, feed their kids, hold out a palm for greasing, and other such domestic concerns based on America, nay - the world - buying whatever they can ship out in all the quantity they can ship out. (no one say "Gillette razor blades" whatever you don't say )

Go for it! It's your duty! Be a good world citizen! Buy cheap deleted by moderator from China!

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 28, 2003, 08:51 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
Copied the design? Ask Hacker where the design came from? I heard it was also "copied". You can read about these designs in motor textbooks. Is this copying? Get real.

There is much more than simply copying a design. I know of several attempt at various RC products that failed because the maunfacturer had no knowledge of how the item really worked or was made. Many do reasearch and testing befiore a reliable product can be released to the market.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:16 AM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,188 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dereck
[B]What's the problem?

As long as the utterly trustworthy Chinese factory doggedly copied a good design of motor ..............

..is this the case OR are "we" North Americans running over there with the designs in hand and getting them to produce the item ...

I know my latest ARF sold by Ace Thunder Tiger was crafted excellently over there ....don't know where it was designed ...

Anyway ...labor costs are the big thing when producing today..

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:45 AM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
For all the carpers and complainers about inexpensive imports, where do you think they learned about capitalism? Live by the "free market", die by the "free market". I guess it didn't occur to anyone that they might be able to do it better than us. After we finish struggling with all the bits and pieces, it finally comes down to labor costs. When we're ready to live on $2.00 or $3.00 a day (or less) then we'll be able to compete head to head. In the mean time, we and the rest of the world will do what we've done historically next to forever: we will take advantage of the situation. That's true whether it's electric motors for RC, or anything else they're willing to sell us for a nickel less than we can produce it any place else. THAT'S the American way.

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:59 PM
WC,WS,WC
Joined Dec 1999
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck
What's the problem?
Somewhere in that fine country, all manner of people are lining up to collect bribes, buy new bicycles, get payed for favours, feed their kids, hold out a palm for greasing, and other such domestic concerns based on America, nay - the world - buying whatever they can ship out in all the quantity they can ship out. (no one say "Gillette razor blades" whatever you don't say )
deleted by moderator from China!
Regards
Dereck
Sorry Dereck - are you for or against? ... bribes, of course ... .. donīt think these litle motors have much to do with it anyway
PTLdom is offline Find More Posts by PTLdom
Old Mar 28, 2003, 01:56 PM
living in Japan member
Belgium (Europe)
Joined Oct 2002
393 Posts
and off course nobody would ever take a bribe in the western world
anatak is offline Find More Posts by anatak
Old Mar 28, 2003, 05:47 PM
T:W>1= :>)
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Joined May 2002
1,446 Posts
Hey, I forgot, now what was this thread
supposed to be about again? GEEZ people
can't we just talk e-flight on an e-flight forum
Sure there's corruption in every business and the hobby
industry is no exception. If you don't like the Chinese
or whomever how 'bout saving your typing strength for
a more appropriate forum.

Steve "self-ordained moderator" Corzine
rc-eflyer is offline Find More Posts by rc-eflyer
Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:44 PM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
I'd venture that the company producing the product matters more than the country where it is assembled. Best example of this is cars, for years the american car companies had been stagnating in the QC department (or intentionally making cars that ran 75000 miles tops, depending on who you ask). Then the japanese started making cars of significantly better quality in japan and selling them here. Now, according to the naysayers here, obviously when they moved production to the states, quality would be crap, cause hey, we all know americans made poor quality cars that broke early, yes? Except it didn't.

Same thing going on here. This specific motor may be exceptional, or it may be exceptionally bad, but that's a function of the company that makes them, not the country they are made in.
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Mar 29, 2003, 03:27 PM
South US, by Cracky!
Joined Jul 2002
135 Posts
Walther & Mega

Quote:
Originally posted by lymon
About 15 years ago I bought a new Walther PP. It was stamped "Made in Germany"
Later I learned that no PP models had been made in Germany after WWII; that a factory in Manurhin, France was the origin of my gun, and that the plastic grips had been attached and the gun test fired in Germany, earning the "Made in Germany" designation.
http://www.waltherfirearmsireland.com/ is a good place to go to get the real story on Walther. Since 1953, they have had a big factory in Ulm, Bavaria, Germany. That's where my Walther PP was made around 1986. The "French Connection" occurred in 1952 or so, when I believe some Walthers were made in that country for a short time.

As for Mega, engineer Karel Matyas, of Brno, Czech Republic, founded and owns Mega Motors. He is the CEO and chief engineer. He would be highly amused to hear that his is an "American company". He is (and rightly so) a proud Czech. Mega USA is the sole distributor in this country, not the owners of the company.

Have a nice day!
BD
Ben Dere is offline Find More Posts by Ben Dere
Old Mar 29, 2003, 08:20 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Let's face it - we invented the free enterprise system, proved to the rest of the world that capitalism works. The global village is here and not going away. We'll make more friends by increasing inter dependency through trade, not by war !

May the better player win!
rkrishnan is offline Find More Posts by rkrishnan
Old Mar 30, 2003, 05:02 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rkrishnan
Let's face it - we invented the free enterprise system, proved to the rest of the world that capitalism works.
Who's we? Capitalism in it's current form was around a long time before the creation of the USA.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:09 AM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Magna

I, myself, look forward to it...we need more companies to come forth and design and build brushless motors. Please keeps us informed and ignore the folks who say otherwise.

That's interesting..."buy american" huh...who's made the most contributions to our hobby lately?! Smaller, lighter, better radio systems, higher capacity batteries, lighter planes{foam}, and so on. It's nice to see someone making an effort or contribution to our hobby yet again buy trying to make a cheaper brushless...it might possibly make our country's brushless providers step up to the plate and have to reduce they're prices to try and compete instead of charging what they want because they're the only makers/sellers on the market. Free enterprise is what america is all about and a better way of living...my hard earned cash goes to whoever can provide that here, no matter who makes it! Does not our american supply companies{hobby lobby, tower, fma, and all the rest} that sell import pieces get they're share of mark up...YES. America gets it's cash for selling these parts every time. I support anyone who tries to make a decent contribution to our hobby and so should you...otherwise we'd be back in the dark ages with alot of our stuff. Progress is what it's all about. Your houses must be fairly empty for having "truely made in america items, made by americans with american parts and supplies". And just for the record you american flag wavers...the ONLY true americans here are the INDIANS...the rest of us are made somewhere else and "IMPORTED" here long ago....cheap and inferior products that we are, according to your thinking-right?! Think about it.....openly.
Scratchbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scratchbuilder
Old May 13, 2003, 08:57 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
Anyone have any feedback on these motors yet?

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Closed Thread