HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 26, 2003, 07:58 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
Oh Oh..

..initial reports lead you to believe that their QC is a problem ....sort of like those early Honda Civics and their tissue paper fenders..! Took 15 years to get past that issue..

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2003, 09:41 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
Buy American? Where was YOUR radio made ?
I buy QUALITY, no matter where made, here or otherwise...
If the price and quality was right, I might try one.

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Mar 26, 2003, 09:51 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
Quote:
..initial reports lead you to believe that their QC is a problem
What intial reports? Nobody has said anything specific about these motors, positive or negative.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:06 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
buying the best product out there is very AMERICAN!

ever wonder why the cold war was? because the US is the champion of capitalism and free markets.

buying american is fine, only if your buying the best product out there. otherwise, patronizing (subsidizing) poor quality, poor service or substandard products only helps to weaken american competitiveness.

consumers who buy first rate or price competitive products or services keep american manufacturers and companies on their toes and competitive.

open your mind and think out of the box. globalization is a good thing.

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:12 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gkamysz
What intial reports? Nobody has said anything specific about these motors, positive or negative.

Greg

http://www.rcflying.cjb.net/

...talks about a QC problem with receivers made by same company..

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:56 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
gkamysz

Northeast Sailplane had a couple at their booth at the WRAM show. I wasn't impressed but I will with hold final judgement until I learn more about them. They weren't much on eye appeal but that doesn't affect how they run. (remember the old Fox35's-not very pretty but they ran great)

BillM

BTW: They were identified only as Chinese Brushless--no brand name.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:19 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
Not much can be learned by looking at a motor, so I wouldn't have been impressed either.

Feigao is the only(for now) Chinese brushless for models that I'm aware of.

I think one must realize that a motor is a mechanical item where as receivers are electronic items. They require different abilities of the manufacturer. Often manufacturers, especially small ones are better in one than the other. One of the better known RC companies today is much better versed in electronic design, and their mechancal designs often have some interesting anomalies in the final product.

Greg
Old Mar 27, 2003, 02:30 AM
WC,WS,WC
Joined Dec 1999
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Magna
Hi PTLDOM

I got to know about this from a SGP RC discussion board. I think one of the shop in SGP are trying to bring it in (to Singapore). I think quite a few of the ezoner here order from SGP especially the EX/PILOT Kit model such as Wildstyle, and the sp400 Tiger Moth etc.

I will let you know more of you can check it out here:

http://www.rcflying.cjb.net/ on the local discussion about Chinese Brushless.
Thanks, i'll be waiting for news. And remember, any time you have them, you can post it here or/and PM me, Thanks also for the specs. Seems these are hot motors. Someone there is complaining about the weight but I have no problems with that. Seems everyone is comparing these motors with the Megas which does not make sense to me.
PT
PTLdom is offline Find More Posts by PTLdom
Last edited by PTLdom; Mar 27, 2003 at 02:37 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 02:38 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Torino, Italy
Joined Oct 2001
295 Posts
When things are getting too cheap I start to be suspicious.
My grandma used to say: "buy cheap, buy twice". And she was so right!
So I will not rush to buy one of those Chinese brushless.
Emanuele
Emanuele is offline Find More Posts by Emanuele
Old Mar 27, 2003, 04:22 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Buy cheap buy twice?

A LOT depends on why its cheap.

Things can be cjheap because ..

- they are cruddy edited by moderator and being dumped. (Retail 'sales' spring to mind..
- they are sold direct thus cutting out marketing and retail margin (e-shopping)
- they are labour intensive and made where labour is cheap (chinese brushless?)
- they are produced on highly automatied machines in vast quantitioes (silicon chips and Mabuchi motors)
- they are made of cheap materials (ferrite motors).
- they are made where the materials can be bought cheaply (swedish aluminium, duig right there and using hydroelectric power at teh mine to process springs to mind)
- Someone has patented a process that makes the materials extremely cheap (watch out for a sharp drop in titanium prices: there is a new process comiong out)

I am not sure what's in a rare earth magnet, but china is stuffed full of 'rare earths' in fact they as a literally comon as muck there.

Their exchange rate favors labor rates. The only issue is quality and design, and what will probably happen there is one of the US or European manufactiurers will take a top class motor over there and subcontract production and quality...eventually.

Lets face it, what is a graupner/permax/Kyosho motor anyway? Something rebadged from mabuchi or Sagamo.

Just did a google search on neodymium. Top of the list was a chinese chemical supply company ...

I'd be willing to bet there is not one neodymium ore processor in the whole USA

Actually, I did some searches, and whilst the USA is not over abundantly suppiled with lanthanides, there is plenty there really.

In fact, 'rare earths' are pretty common worldwide.

Edited by Brian Cullen on Mar 27, 2003 at 11:51AM
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 27, 2003, 05:28 AM
...thermal ? ...where ?
Torino, Italy
Joined Oct 2001
295 Posts
I quite see your point.... but.... usually the cut out price is small, the price reduction is a minimum. When it comes to Chinese stuff the price is usually much lower with quality disadvantage.
I could not find the price of the mentioned motor, but for example their small brushed ESC rated at 50A (!) seems to cost 20US$ or 13UK£.....
This sounds really like my daughter's Chinese toys: they don't last half an hour.
Emanuele
Emanuele is offline Find More Posts by Emanuele
Old Mar 27, 2003, 06:09 AM
living in Japan member
Belgium (Europe)
Joined Oct 2002
393 Posts
about the buy american thing
mega motors: american company
where are the motors manufactured? hint look at the CNN map where they had put switzerland on the manufacturing country.

I live in Europe and bought a Mega motor only because I thought (still think) it is excellent value for money. Too bad they don't sell directly in Europe so I have to pay the transportation twice
but indeed it is a World Economy I would only tend not to buy out of political reasons and not economical once
ok I m off my soap box now

Does GWS has any plans on building brushless components?
Does anyone has hands on experience in buying and using these "chinese brushlesses"
anatak is offline Find More Posts by anatak
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:10 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Anatak,

give a look at http://www.aircraft-world.com/

They sell the Mega, + shipping is $2.5 and comes to your place at the speed of light.

For these chinese, or whoever makes them, motors, I would certainly consider them, unless made on the list the US put together, on banned list of countries to do business with or that sponsor terrorism.
Irak, Iran, Syria, North Korea.

Apart from this, let the best win, and competition rule the game. That's how the world is living already and it is working ok.

Patrick.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:30 AM
living in Japan member
Belgium (Europe)
Joined Oct 2002
393 Posts
for even cheaper mega power
http://www.dynamoelectrics.com
I bought it from them but mainly because I like the castle creation speed controller
anatak is offline Find More Posts by anatak
Old Mar 27, 2003, 07:28 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
Samarium Cobalt is a rare earth magnet. Not all that common and still expensive. Neodym magnets are readily available but because of their characteristics fell under rare earth in performance so I guess it stuck.

Mega certainly isn't an American company, not that this matters. I got my start with electric about 8 years ago with a second hand Mega R4 motor. They have always been made in Czechoslovakia, then the Czech Republic.

Greg
Closed Thread