SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
15 Posts
Discussion
KJ-66 combustion chamber question

I am presently building a KJ-66 engine working from the plans found in the Kurt Schreckling book "Home built model turbines". I am now looking at the combustion chamber and have seen in a number of older posts reference to (and photos of) more up to date combustion chamber designs that incorporate different hole patterns, and sometimes 12 instead of 6 sticks etc. Most of these other designs appear to have originated from ABC microturbines in the UK - their web site is now down and appears to have been that way for some time. Does anyone know if they are still in business? If not then are there newer / more up to date combustion chamber designs available? Also does anyone know of a source for inconel "sticks"? Thankyou.

I have attached photos of the ABC CC's that I have spotted in earlier posts.
davidaddy is offline Find More Posts by davidaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2005
15 Posts
Any info on KJ-66 combustion chamber designs will be very much appreciated.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
135 Posts
I read somewhere that 6 sticks was fine. By crimping the sticks and bending them help increase the atomization of the fuel. There is a mod ,I believe is called the "jackson "d" mod. I am not sure exactly what it is yet.
I too am gathering bits for a KJ 66. the GT2000 I believe is a modified KJ66.
Do you a compressor yet? What parts have you completed?

Joe
taxexempt is offline Find More Posts by taxexempt
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:30 PM
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Mar 2009
141 Posts
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/6283christopher

This guy may be able to help
carter66 is offline Find More Posts by carter66
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2005
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexempt
I read somewhere that 6 sticks was fine. By crimping the sticks and bending them help increase the atomization of the fuel. There is a mod ,I believe is called the "jackson "d" mod. I am not sure exactly what it is yet.
I too am gathering bits for a KJ 66. the GT2000 I believe is a modified KJ66.
Do you a compressor yet? What parts have you completed?

Joe
Hi Joe,

Thankyou for the reply. I was intending on going with 6 sticks as most the stuff I've read says that 12 sticks have only a marginal benefit.

As to my project - I have almost everything complete except the combustion chamber (some parts are bought, some made by me / friends). I have sourced some parts from here - excellent quality / price. The compressor I have is dimensionally the same as the one that jmprecision sell (however I sourced it elsewhere) - it is supposed to provide a higher flow rate than the standard 2038.

For the combustion chamber I plan on having the end blanks / wraps laser cut (again, someone I know can do this) - hence before I give him the drawing I want to know it is to the best / most current design! For the sticks wren still sell inconel 6mm tube - I am yet to purchase material for these.

When I finally decide on the CC design I plan to have several sets of blanks cut, who knows - some of you guys may want a set!

Dave
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
135 Posts
I would be interested in a set most definately!. Jerry from JMP is a very nice guy. He also has a compressor that provides more thrust.
I have just really begun. I have some kkk2038's. if yea need a spare. I look forward to this project and your progress. Do you have a plane in mind? what are you thinking of useing for ecu?

Joe
taxexempt is offline Find More Posts by taxexempt
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2005
15 Posts
I don't have a plane in mind yet - just wanted to get the engine built & run first! as to the ecu - www.xicoy.com have one I'm considering, unless I see a cheap second hand one somewhere in the mean time. I'll keep you up to date on the CC design / progress.

Dave
Old May 11, 2009, 06:49 PM
KAON
Joined Feb 2009
11 Posts
Hi Dave,

Am planning to build the KJ-66 turbine myself too , i've just ordered the same book you recommeded earlier from amazon.com. whats the expected thrust of this engine??
actually this will be my first turbine but am planning to source out the hard parts. what's the material you're using for the CC?? are you gonna spot weld it or how?

Karim
karim aon is offline Find More Posts by karim aon
Old May 14, 2009, 05:06 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1 Posts
On the question of combustion chambers.....I am having a small problem regarding punching the holes of it...can anybody help me in and easy way of doing so?

Thanks
innovation is offline Find More Posts by innovation
Old May 14, 2009, 02:28 PM
Joined May 2009
1 Posts
Having just started out building the kj66 as well
i have spent a little time on the combustion chamber and found the easiest way to punch out the holes is with a hand punch similar to this item here
[URL=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sheet-Metal-Hand-Punch-Tool-Folder-Guillotine-NEW_W0QQitemZ270386897811QQcmdZViewItem] still a fair bit of work involved though and certainley harder on inconel than s96 stainless at the moment i have just produced the tooling for the end caps to make them out of .8mm stainless things are looking good and next will be the combuster tubes using hyperdermic needles for the injectors

Regards
Beretta682
Beretta682 is offline Find More Posts by Beretta682
Old May 17, 2009, 02:11 PM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
2 Posts
New turbine project

Hello ,iam rene and i comming from the Nethelands.
i have e new turbine a klone of the kj66 .
if you wil see a video or pictures the new url are ; http://www.everyoneweb.com/rmtgold/
vr 22/5 the first test flight (maiden)
gr from Holland. rene .
rene microturbin is offline Find More Posts by rene microturbin