HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
We Are Officially Out of Control

Am I dreaming or what? More like a nightmare. I log on to Off Topic Discussion and see a thread about how we should all try to calm down and be nice to each other. What do I find but a thread careening out of control. So I compose a nice friendly message, try to send it and find that the thread has been closed. When I get back to the list of threads, the thread is not only closed, but has been totally removed.

Mind you now, this was a thread that was trying to calm people down and ask everyone to please try to be civil to each other.

When everyone shouts, no one listens. People are busy firing their machine guns and desperately reaching for more ammo. Nothing productive is being accomplished. No one is changing their minds. Positions are hardening. Anger and frustration are growing. We have met the enemy, and it is us.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. My way of dealing with this is that, for the first time in my more than 3 years as a member here, I am going to invoke the dreaded "Ignore List." The first people who are going on my "Ignore List," starting today, are those who show up in Off Topic Discussion with a message count of 0. If you aren't interested enough in R/C to post any messages in the R/C sections, I'm not interested in what you have to say here. The second group going bye-bye will be the obvious trolls.

After that, I'll be adding people to my "Ignore List" who I think are part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Obviously we all won't agree on who's who, and I would expect that some people will probably add my name to their "Ignore Lists." That's fine. When cats and dogs start fighting, you put them in separate rooms. If I miss some good posts in the R/C sections because people are on my "Ignore List," I can live with that. I am no longer going to put up with some of the stuff that is showing up here.

I'll say so long now to those I won't be seeing any longer. I'm looking forward to having extra time to communicate with the thoughtful people here, no matter whether they are on the same side of an issue as I am or the opposite side. I've learned a lot in my life from reasonable people with different viewpoints, and look forward to learning much more from the reasonable people who participate in Off Topic Discussion.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Mar 25, 2003, 01:35 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,174 Posts
Quote:
. . . looking forward to having extra time to communicate with the thoughtful people here . . . I've learned a lot in my life from reasonable people . . . look forward to learning much more from the reasonable people who participate in Off Topic Discussion.
Okay, I can deal with being ignored at home, even at work but HERE?

Dave, what about the likes of me?

(must be the avatar)
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Mar 25, 2003, 01:39 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Shucks, just when you had half convinced me to open a Republican branch office in Spain
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 25, 2003, 01:47 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,203 Posts
Nifty thing about the "ignore list" is the occupants are unaware of their status!
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2003, 02:19 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Buzz_Man, those who can sing and dance get bonus points. I also appreciate good humor. And, of course, since I'm one of those dirty American conspirators responsible for all of the world's problems, I can be bought -- unmarked bills, please, no checks.

Martin, if I can half convince you to open a Republican branch office in Spain when I'm not even a Republican, I must really be persuasive. I'd rather you open an Independent branch office. You are pretty independent.

Sparky, I feel such a great sense of relief since making this decision!
Old Mar 25, 2003, 04:36 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,174 Posts
Quote:
Buzz_Man, those who can sing and dance get bonus points. I also appreciate good humor.
Okay - so one outta three aint too bad, eh?
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Mar 25, 2003, 04:44 PM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hederich

Martin, if I can half convince you to open a Republican branch office in Spain when I'm not even a Republican, I must really be persuasive. I'd rather you open an Independent branch office. You are pretty independent.
As I recall, a Republican in Spain is NOT the same as a Repuplican in the U.S.
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Mar 25, 2003, 05:09 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I removed the thread, we disabled the account of one member because he continued to ignore well meaning warnings about flaming and swearing at other members. I contacted the originator of the thread, (Mootsie) and apologised to him for taking it out. Are we as a group out of control?? Nope, a few members are and as they ignore warnings their accounts are being disabled.

I am concerned that we have some members who have started flame wars under two different user ID's and those folks are being addressed as individuals. We can track them now and we're reacting to this also.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Mar 25, 2003, 05:14 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I do appreciate the several members who have reacted positively to PM's and warnings. They are by far the majority of members who've I've personally sent notes to and they responded in a positive manner and fixed the problems..
Don
Old Mar 25, 2003, 07:45 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Bless you, Mr. Sims. You are a good man. I trust you understand that I did not mean that you and the other moderators were letting this forum get out of control. I mean that some people are getting out of control and making a lot of extra work for you. I know you don't get paid overtime for this thankless extra work!

But I still like the "Ignore List" feature a lot, though I regret the need to finally use it. I figure it would not have been available as an option if someone had not had the great foresight to understand that it would eventually be needed by some.

I'm going to call it my "electronic aspirin," as it makes headaches go away real fast.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 07:57 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
LOL Dave! FYI all the moderators are volunteers who spend their time here because we want to give something back to the site. Because of what Jim provides us at no cost to most of us, I've met some fantastic people in a excellent hobby both virtually and in person. I've learned a lot from the folks that hang around here and have been saved a ton of money with the advice and guidance I've gotten out of the forums. Being a maderator is my very small payback to the site.
Don
Old Mar 25, 2003, 09:08 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
For the benefit of those that actually care, here is a sample of a notice I am having to send to 'certain members'...

----------

RCGroups and OTD participation are clearly posted in several locations. In your case, I specifically refer you to the following section of the posted policies:

2. We strive to be a place for courteous discussion. Users shall treat each other with respect at all times. There shall be no name-calling. Users shall not provoke one another. Please pause for a moment before sending your post and consider how you would view it if you were reading it as addressed towards you personally.

Jim Bourke (site owner) has the following notice posted at the top of Off Topic:

Forum rules - Please read this

The following rules apply to this forum. The moderator will enforce them so please bring any infractions to his attention.

1. You must have at least 50 posts in other forums before you can start a new topic here. Note that posts in this forum do not count toward your total post count.

2. No ad hominem attacks. While it is perfectly fine to tell someone that their position is wrong, or even "idiotic," it is never acceptable to tell someone that they are "stupid". If you find yourself easily angered by people who disagree with you, please do not participate here.

3. Keep the forum "family friendly." Foul language and discussion of adult subject matter is not welcome here. This includes humor.

The moderator is authorized to close topics, delete entire threads, restrict users form posting, or virtually any other action he feels necessary to maintain harmony within this forum.

Jim Bourke
President/Owner
www.ezonemag.com

Finally, in addition to our posted policies and the above notice, and in response to the apparent disregard for these rules of late, the following has been stickied to the top of the Off Topic forum since March 8:

OTD forum participation - READ THIS

I refer you to the RCGroups posting policies, and also Jim's thread in this forum.

Participation here is subject to these rules, and violations will not be tolerated. Editing of your posts against policy will be performed, but if you repeat these violations, your account will be disabled. If you continue to violate these rules, this may come without warning - do not be surprised.

We strive to maintain a family-friendly and cordial site, but as we grow, the number of hostile participants increases. We appreciate healthy discussion of current affairs, but unsuitable topics or posts, and those responsible, will be dealt with swiftly.

..a

Due to apparent disregard for this notice by several members, however, I had to post again on the 24th:

A reminder to read this notice. It seems a large number of OTD particpants are ignoring, or have failed to read, this policy.
We appreciate different points of view - those who are afraid to debate their position, usually those who are most guilty of personal and ad hominem attacks, should pause to consider alternative points of view. Keep these attacks out of this forum, or action will be swift and may come without warning.
..a

Your attacks against other members have been reported to me by several persons, not limited to moderators. At this time, and as stated above, I am not tolerating this type of behavior. Your access has been terminated, possibly temporarily, on condition that in future you refrain from these types of attacks. You will pause to consider your postings, in relation to the posted policies and specifically those that apply to off-topic forum participation.

If you can agree to these terms, I will reactivate your account.
Regards,
..a

Andy W, R/C Groups Administrator
For help with many issues faced by RCGroups users, please go to
http://awilletts.ezonemag.com/help
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 25, 2003, 09:44 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Hey, I havn't received my PM from Andy yet!

I could have sworn I made the list.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:38 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GYROGEARLOOSE
As I recall, a Republican in Spain is NOT the same as a Repuplican in the U.S.
shhhh
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:18 AM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
ad hominum attack

"If anyone can point out to me where any message I've ever posted on this forum qualifies as an ad hominum attack, I will immediately delete that message and issue a formal apology." Dave H.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...906#post859906

With respect, a forced apology is meaningless so you can skipt it Dave.

Intersting to note you had the time to count my posts/time spent on OTD but did not answer my questions to you in, the alternate thread, due to your stated time constraints etc...

Cheers

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Last edited by Hammer Head; Mar 26, 2003 at 04:00 AM.