SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:07 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebell View Post
Does anybody know what is going on with Hyperion? The quality seems to drop and they don't respond to warranty issues and other questions.
Perhaps they are busy counting all their money, or unsold motors after the 60% price rise.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:54 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,885 Posts
I notice that Aircraft world also stocks Scorpion now which seems odd. Yes I noticed the price raise; but then they had a decrease of the same dollar amount about a year ago
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
Very nice Dave. Thanks for dropping in to enlighten all. Looking forward to the new offerings.

It'll be interesting to see how the ESCs really match up to the Kontroniks and Jetis of the world. It'd be nice to have a more economical alternative. In the past Scorpion ESCs have always been a bit disappointing to me (large, hot running, relatively poor governor), IMO, YMMV, etc.

- David
So it's just not me ,I just bought 4 scorpion 60 namp esc's and they run much warmer than the Dualsky 60amp esc's that I have.ANd the default settings on the scorpion's are out of wack for me.Example lvc set at 6v>default way too low.
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:49 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,436 Posts
Not so odd. AFAIK, if I read the quote below correctly, the Hyperion motors are now made by Scorpion (or at least some of them are).

From Nippon Dave back when he was still on the forum.

Post 503 in this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...n#post11497331

"On another topic... Hyperion has also been working together with Scorpion for the past 18 months to develop what can only be described as the finest motors and controllers on the planet. We tested countless (seems like) motor and ESC to get them to the top in every respect, and are producing them "in-house" for peerless quality control. They will be released over the next 2-3 months under both brands. They won't be "cheap", but they will be the best you can buy. Anybody can talk, but wait till you see the performance numbers. I think you'll like them, a lot... The newest motors, for example, can on average turn the same prop at the same rpm, while using 15%~20% less current compared to current version Hyperion motors! (or alternatively can handle a great deal more current at same efficiency level)"

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
I notice that Aircraft world also stocks Scorpion now which seems odd. Yes I noticed the price raise; but then they had a decrease of the same dollar amount about a year ago
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:58 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,885 Posts
Yes John, I knew they were the same under the skin, although the windings offered vary quite a bit. I understood Aircraft World & Hyperion were one & the same,that was why I thought it odd. BTW they were the last site to raise their prices on Scorpion. I got in under the wire
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
... From Nippon Dave back when he was still on the forum. ...
Where/why did David go? His last post was december last year.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• diy motor tips • Drive Calculator •
• diy motor group • Cumulus MFC •
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:47 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,436 Posts
I understand he went back to the US. Others may know the details. I got the impression all was not happy between he and Hyperion but that's pure quesswork and could be quite wrong. Maybe he just got sick of all our questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren View Post
Where/why did David go? His last post was december last year.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• diy motor tips • Drive Calculator •
• diy motor group • Cumulus MFC •
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:54 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Well, I noticed something changed. Questions about ESC’s just get ignored and existing info got deleted. Warranty on chargers gets ignored as well. I thought Dave owned the company.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
I thought he did too. This hobby is weakened without David. He's sorely missed.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:09 AM
Manila, Philippines and Burlingame, CA
Joined Jul 2007
241 Posts
Hi has anyone ever tried running the ZS4025-14 motor w/ 20x10e prop on 6s 5000mah? Can the motor take it? How many watts? Im looking for a 6S motor pushing the 20 prop to 1800-2000watts and pulling under 100amps.
Gopedasia is offline Find More Posts by Gopedasia
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:10 AM
Joined Jul 2007
241 Posts
I miss David as well. His helpful posts and info is sorely missed. I think this is also the reason why new products seem to have ground down to a halt from Hyperion
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:30 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
I think a 20x10 will be just over the top, but if it has first-rate cooling it is doable.

From what I see Hyperion is on its way down. Other companies started with the same symptoms and are no more.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Jul 2007
241 Posts
Hopefully they bounce back. They have pretty good value for money products with good quality.

A friend has run the zs4015 w 18x8e 6s 5000 at 1800watts.juat worried the 18x8 will be too fast for a 25% extra. Im currently running a turnigy 5055 380kv w the 20x10 at 1400 watts. I would like to bump up te watts by at least 20%
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:16 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
On second thought, no, apart from the current that will be too high and efficiency will suffer, the prop will be too heavy and the motor / ESC might have timing problems. I used a 18x8 on a similar sized but slightly higher Kv motor on 8s A123 and at first had timing problems, but later changed to 17x10 for more air speed.

Rather choose a bigger motor.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:58 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,885 Posts
I ran it on castle creations flight calc which I find fairly accurate; but a little under actual amps. It shows 105 amps with a CC ICE 100. Efficiency is down below 80% at these amps. So lots of heat to dissipate. I know the motor's magnets will stand 200 deg C; but the ESC will not and I doubt the epoxy in the motor will either. So LOTS of cooling needed OR get your watts with a higher cell count and a lower KV.