HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Sounds like the receiver in the problem plane has been bound with the throttle channel off zero. Make sure the throttle trim is on zero and the stick all the way down, rebind the RX, and see what happens then.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:19 PM
www.skyhobbies.com.sg
Joined May 2006
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
Well, I'm not sure this question belongs in this thread, but can't think of where else the Hyperion experts would be, so here goes:

In my Apprentice, I've got the Atlas 60 Amp 4S Brushless ESC, Linear BEC. With a Hyperion ZS3020-10 922 KV Brushless motor. Bought it from All e RC last August.

My receiver is an E-flite AR500 with a Spektrum DK-7 transmitter.

Problem: I can't get the arming tones when I connect the battery. What happens 99% of the time is that I turn transmitter on, connect battery, and get the two tones, over and over. Then, when I disconnect and re-connect a few seconds later, I can get the four-tone arming tones. Only once or twice have I been able to get the arming tones on the first connection. Re-connecting isn't a big deal; once I get the arming tones, that's how I have flown the plane for a couple hundred flights, but I'm aware that the receiver is flashing (indicates it has had a power interruption and is normal for a connect-and-re-connect sequence when the DX-7 hasn't been turned off).

So it doesn't seem to affect flying, but it shouldn't work this way. Anybody know what the problem might be, or what I might be doing wrong?

With my new 90A Atlas ESC and Hyperion motor in my H&M Corsair (using same DX-7, and a E-flite AR7000 receiver, I get the arming tones every time when I put in the arming plug. Like it should be.
It sounds like a similar situation I had with another buddy.
What I suggested to him is to have his model copied to another new memory in his DX7 and it worked flawlessly. Hope your situation will be the same as him
skyhobbies is offline Find More Posts by skyhobbies
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:49 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Andrew's and Sky Hobbie's answers specific to the Eflite should be looked into.

If neither of those helps, it could be a fairly common issue with some 2.4Ghz receivers, particularly ones that are from older production runs. Many of the 2.4 Rx had long boot sequences, which can result in the ESC timing out before the Rx is booted fully. I know that Futaba and Eflite have modified their Rx to reduce boot time more recently, and we also lengthened the time-out on out ATLAS some months ago. (which is why I would guess that your newer 90A is arming while the 60A is more fussy).

I would see if there is a FW update for your Rx (I have no idea if such exists, so pls check). Or you may try a newer Rx in the model with 60A ESC.

David

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure this question belongs in this thread, but can't think of where else the Hyperion experts would be, so here goes:

In my Apprentice, I've got the Atlas 60 Amp 4S Brushless ESC, Linear BEC. With a Hyperion ZS3020-10 922 KV Brushless motor. Bought it from All e RC last August.

My receiver is an E-flite AR500 with a Spektrum DK-7 transmitter.

Problem: I can't get the arming tones when I connect the battery. What happens 99% of the time is that I turn transmitter on, connect battery, and get the two tones, over and over. Then, when I disconnect and re-connect a few seconds later, I can get the four-tone arming tones. Only once or twice have I been able to get the arming tones on the first connection. Re-connecting isn't a big deal; once I get the arming tones, that's how I have flown the plane for a couple hundred flights, but I'm aware that the receiver is flashing (indicates it has had a power interruption and is normal for a connect-and-re-connect sequence when the DX-7 hasn't been turned off).

So it doesn't seem to affect flying, but it shouldn't work this way. Anybody know what the problem might be, or what I might be doing wrong?

With my new 90A Atlas ESC and Hyperion motor in my H&M Corsair (using same DX-7, and a E-flite AR7000 receiver, I get the arming tones every time when I put in the arming plug. Like it should be.
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:24 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
Any ETA on the 50cc replacement motors?
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:00 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Hyperion 45C cells...

Hi Dave, I've seen a Chinese based RCG'er post about Hyperion G3 45C cells being available - do you have information on these - specs, availability etc?

Also, and word on the GS3032 series?

Thanks,
Al
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:53 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrcuk View Post
Hi Dave, I've seen a Chinese based RCG'er post about Hyperion G3 45C cells being available - do you have information on these - specs, availability etc?

Also, and word on the GS3032 series?

Thanks,
Al
Funny you should ask... I just finished updating the Datasheet 10 seconds ago...

Gs3032 motors are in production, and should also be online for sale very early in May (1st to 6th, I think) along with the G3 EX 45C packs.

Cheers,

D
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:01 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
Funny you should ask... I just finished updating the Datasheet 10 seconds ago...

Gs3032 motors are in production, and should also be online for sale very early in May (1st to 6th, I think) along with the G3 EX 45C packs.

Cheers,

D

Ha, coincidence!! I'm very keen to get my hands on some of these new cells, which I've only just heard about, in a high power EDF application. If you have any which are available for pre-release purshase, testing, etc, I'm keen on running 6S 3000 or so
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:52 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
Hi Dave,
I moved my question to Hyperion G3 LiPo thread, this is the motor thread.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Last edited by Swen; Apr 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:21 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
Andrew's and Sky Hobbie's answers specific to the Eflite should be looked into.

If neither of those helps, it could be a fairly common issue with some 2.4Ghz receivers, particularly ones that are from older production runs. Many of the 2.4 Rx had long boot sequences, which can result in the ESC timing out before the Rx is booted fully. I know that Futaba and Eflite have modified their Rx to reduce boot time more recently, and we also lengthened the time-out on out ATLAS some months ago. (which is why I would guess that your newer 90A is arming while the 60A is more fussy).

I would see if there is a FW update for your Rx (I have no idea if such exists, so pls check). Or you may try a newer Rx in the model with 60A ESC.

David
Thanks guys. I tried those suggestions and then called Horizon Customer Support, and spoke with a knowledgeable and helpful tech there.

The problem, just so you know, is as David suggested. Timing difference, between Atlas ESC and AR500 receiver, essentially. Nothing to be done about it. No firmware upgrades available and there hasn't been a change in the AR500.

The reason that it arms after I reconnect is that the receiver goes through a shortened . . . boot up . . .? after what it detects as a power outage, and so it then can arm the ESC. So, nothing to do but keep flying like I have been. Connect, dis-connect, and re-connect and then go fly.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My next question: What is in the motor that produces those tones?
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:08 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. I tried those suggestions and then called Horizon Customer Support, and spoke with a knowledgeable and helpful tech there.

The problem, just so you know, is as David suggested. Timing difference, between Atlas ESC and AR500 receiver, essentially. Nothing to be done about it. No firmware upgrades available and there hasn't been a change in the AR500.

The reason that it arms after I reconnect is that the receiver goes through a shortened . . . boot up . . .? after what it detects as a power outage, and so it then can arm the ESC. So, nothing to do but keep flying like I have been. Connect, dis-connect, and re-connect and then go fly.

A receiver pack and bec would fix that I think?

What DavidN said below to the question.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Last edited by Buzzkill2; Apr 20, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:07 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
The tones are from the electro magnet windings being used similar to a buzzer.
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:37 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Thanks guys. You know, there's a lot to learn in this hobby, (which is why I like it), but I haven't really learned about BEC's, UBEC's, receiver packs, etc., yet.

The Atlas 60 A ESC has a Linear BEC already. (Whatever that is.) Why would I need a BEC? And a receiver pack just goes to the receiver, to power it, so it won't brown out if a retract servo overloads things, right?

I have a feeling that sooner or later, I might need to know all this. Not for the Apprentice, but for my big 8 lb Corsair that just cost me a small fortune putting it together, and which I hope to maiden in late May or June, and which I really, really, really don't want to lose in a crash.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:51 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. You know, there's a lot to learn in this hobby, (which is why I like it), but I haven't really learned about BEC's, UBEC's, receiver packs, etc., yet.

The Atlas 60 A ESC has a Linear BEC already. (Whatever that is.) Why would I need a BEC? And a receiver pack just goes to the receiver, to power it, so it won't brown out if a retract servo overloads things, right?

I have a feeling that sooner or later, I might need to know all this. Not for the Apprentice, but for my big 8 lb Corsair that just cost me a small fortune putting it together, and which I hope to maiden in late May or June, and which I really, really, really don't want to lose in a crash.
A BEC is just an idea for fixing the connect/disconnect/connect thing you have happening.

In regards to the 8lb Corsair, you'll most definitely want a SBEC for a variety of reasons.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:04 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
To "get around" the connection thing, you could use a 4-cell NiMh battery pack, and install a switch harness on a spare Rx channel. Then connect the NiMh battery to the Rx with Main Pack DISCONNECTED still. Wait a while for the Rx to boot (10 seconds is enough?), then connect the main battery pack, and disconnect the NiMh.

D

Quote:

Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Thanks Dave.

I might give that a try. The Apprentice is a foamy trainer, however, and it flies OK with the receiver flashing from its "power interrruption", so I'll probably fly the thing as I have been. My H&M Corsair is 99% done, just waiting for a pilot figure to be available from Hangar 9, to finish the canopy. But, before I fly it, will assemble the Great Plains Super Sportster, (with my Hyperion motor and Atlas ESC), and fly that for a month or two, so I can get some experience with a faster bird before I fly the Corsair.

I've taken the Corsair out on my driveway for "taxi tests" and it's a good thing I'm old and wise, instead of young and foolish, or I'd be tempted to throttle up and take off. (Well, I am tempted.) But flying that big bird around my street and houses would be a disaster, of course.

Still, it's tempting . . .