HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:11 PM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
tlr-boise - I just took a listen to your video and it sounds fine to me also - like any other motor with no prop attached. Was there something in particular about how it sounded that concerns you? With a prop attached the motion will smooth out and the motor will sound quite different. Slap a suitable prop and an ammeter on that bad boy and test it outdoors.
eajohnson is offline Find More Posts by eajohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:47 PM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson View Post
tlr-boise - I just took a listen to your video and it sounds fine to me also - like any other motor with no prop attached. Was there something in particular about how it sounded that concerns you? With a prop attached the motion will smooth out and the motor will sound quite different. Slap a suitable prop and an ammeter on that bad boy and test it outdoors.
I agree. I'm not sure what we were supposed to be identifying in terms of an unusual sound? Without the motor under load (i.e. no prop), there's not much to look for.

George
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
Brake stops the prop when the throttle hits the off point. With no brake it windmills. I find it smoother at landing speed with brake off, also slows on vertical downlines which I doubt apply to this type of model.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Brake stops the prop when the throttle hits the off point. With no brake it windmills. I find it smoother at landing speed with brake off, also slows on vertical downlines which I doubt apply to this type of model.
I only ever use brake=ON on my gliders.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:01 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi George
When using the brake 'ON' with a E motor that will go in my Paragon can you 'time' the prop so it stops with the blades along the side's of the fuse , or does it just stop anyplace. As this is my first E bird with the new power systems using the ESC i need to learn all the little tricks.Thanks
Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi George
When using the brake 'ON' with a E motor that will go in my Paragon can you 'time' the prop so it stops with the blades along the side's of the fuse , or does it just stop anyplace. As this is my first E bird with the new power systems using the ESC i need to learn all the little tricks.Thanks
Don
Hi Don,
You can't "time" the stop. With my high performance LMR gliders I use Brake On + Hard Stop. The options available are determined by the brand of esc. I have not found the position of the stop to influence the drag on the glider. I normally tighten the folding prop screw until the prop is stiff to move and back off a fraction to ensure the prop readily "flops" back onto the fuselage.
George
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:48 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi George
I guess what meant to ask is, will one prop blade be under the fuse and the other be on top of the canopy when the plane lands or can you set it up so both blades are along side of the fuse with the motor brake on.And i will be buying a Hyperion GS 3014 - 16 and a Atlas ESC that Nippon Dave says is the one to use and his LIPO's too for the E package, thanks
Don
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Thanks guys. Haven't bought my spinner and prop yet, but I asked about the motor because it sounds different than the others I've had. Not bad, just different. I'm sure it's fine, and would expect it to not be a problem.

My $3 wattmeter is still in pieces on my bench. Not done yet.

The brake is at the default value. Didn't disable or touch it. But, I'll experiment a bit with the ESC.

Thanks again.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Hi George
I guess what meant to ask is, will one prop blade be under the fuse and the other be on top of the canopy when the plane lands or can you set it up so both blades are along side of the fuse with the motor brake on.And i will be buying a Hyperion GS 3014 - 16 and a Atlas ESC that Nippon Dave says is the one to use and his LIPO's too for the E package, thanks
Don
Don,
The prop can be at any position so the scenario you describe is possible but you shouldn't experience any problem when you land regardless of what position it is in. What are your concerns when landing?
George
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:31 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi George
Just that the bottom blade would be under the fuse rubbing on the ground when landing and thinking that's not the best thing to have happen , that's all
Don
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:31 PM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Hi George
Just that the bottom blade would be under the fuse rubbing on the ground when landing and thinking that's not the best thing to have happen , that's all
Don
Don,

Fair question but I have flown electric gliders for 15 years and it has never been an issue - unless you are landing on a tarmac strip . Look at it this way, at least the bottom of your fuz won't get scratched if it happens

George
Old Apr 04, 2010, 07:08 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,205 Posts
I ordered some of the new hard shafts. Yesterday I nosed one straight in while doing a low harrier. Old one would have snapped right off. New prop and I'm back in the air. Two "dumb thumbs up." Thank you for listening to your customers, good products and service! I reccomend Hyperion motors and batts and will continue to do so.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:25 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Hi George
When using the brake 'ON' with a E motor that will go in my Paragon can you 'time' the prop so it stops with the blades along the side's of the fuse , or does it just stop anyplace.
Don
You can, if your esc is up to it. Robbe used to have a motor/esc/gear combo (Rovox) that could do this. I've never seen another...
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:10 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
You can, if your esc is up to it. Robbe used to have a motor/esc/gear combo (Rovox) that could do this. I've never seen another...
Schulze Future ESC can also do this with a hall sensor that picks up the position of a magnet you put on the spinner or prop.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Apr 17, 2010, 07:29 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Well, I'm not sure this question belongs in this thread, but can't think of where else the Hyperion experts would be, so here goes:

In my Apprentice, I've got the Atlas 60 Amp 4S Brushless ESC, Linear BEC. With a Hyperion ZS3020-10 922 KV Brushless motor. Bought it from All e RC last August.

My receiver is an E-flite AR500 with a Spektrum DK-7 transmitter.

Problem: I can't get the arming tones when I connect the battery. What happens 99% of the time is that I turn transmitter on, connect battery, and get the two tones, over and over. Then, when I disconnect and re-connect a few seconds later, I can get the four-tone arming tones. Only once or twice have I been able to get the arming tones on the first connection. Re-connecting isn't a big deal; once I get the arming tones, that's how I have flown the plane for a couple hundred flights, but I'm aware that the receiver is flashing (indicates it has had a power interruption and is normal for a connect-and-re-connect sequence when the DX-7 hasn't been turned off).

So it doesn't seem to affect flying, but it shouldn't work this way. Anybody know what the problem might be, or what I might be doing wrong?

With my new 90A Atlas ESC and Hyperion motor in my H&M Corsair (using same DX-7, and a E-flite AR7000 receiver, I get the arming tones every time when I put in the arming plug. Like it should be.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise