SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2009, 06:55 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,788 Posts
You can subscribe using the 'thread tools' in the second blue ribbon at the top.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:33 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
546 Posts
I received my ZS2209-30 yesterday and am really quite impressed. This motor is well made, light in weight and nicely finished. It runs very smoothly and coolly and in my bench test I got exactly the same figures as published by "Nippon Dave" on this site. I even liked the obvious thought that had gone into the packaging and presentation, (not something that had ever caught my attention before). The overall impression is one of a product that has been well thought out, well made and does what it says on the box. Well done to all concerned.

So now we need to know what the position is on the Atlas controllers?
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
Last edited by Stan Rose; Apr 30, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:46 PM
Denmark, Nordjylland, Gistrup
Joined Aug 2005
402 Posts
"Nippon" has done the zs 40xx chart, so there is a 4025-10 on the way to Denmark.
flemsus is offline Find More Posts by flemsus
Old May 01, 2009, 08:08 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Rose
So now we need to know what the position is on the Atlas controllers?
Thanks for the nice comments on the Zs motor and packaging! Let us know what you think after using it a bit, pls...

The ATLAS ESC should be shipping to delaers in 2~3 weeks we expect. See manual attached, if so inclined.

Cheers,

David
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old May 01, 2009, 12:45 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,788 Posts
Dave, I would include how to reverse rotation.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old May 04, 2009, 12:47 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
Dave, I would include how to reverse rotation.
Switch any two motor wires. We have removed programmable reverse rotation due to a number of accident/damage reports with a variety of ESC brands sold the past 9 years. Since there is absolutely no reason to change rotation once the motor is installed, and it is simple to
check rotation on the bench before installation, I can't see a real reason for keeping a function which is proven to cause problems. Our Zs motors and ESC are also color coded for normal rotation, so with those it's even easier to get it right.

D
Old May 04, 2009, 02:07 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Switch any two motor wires. We have removed programmable reverse rotation due to a number of accident/damage reports with a variety of ESC brands sold the past 9 years. Since there is absolutely no reason to change rotation once the motor is installed, and it is simple to
check rotation on the bench before installation, I can't see a real reason for keeping a function which is proven to cause problems. Our Zs motors and ESC are also color coded for normal rotation, so with those it's even easier to get it right.

D
Hi
Right OK David, I agree with you.
For info : when phase wires colors fit, what is the "normal" convention?
When shaft is seen from end bell side front (stator fixing behind) sense CW or CCW ?
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old May 04, 2009, 06:24 AM
2.4GHz systems, Electrics, FPV
New Zealand, Otago, Alexandra
Joined May 2006
96 Posts
reversing rotation..

Hi Dave,

"We have removed programmable reverse rotation" personally I would prefer to do it there, as swapping connections a couple of times ( disconnecting the battery to make the circuit safe etc.) to get that seems in itself asking for an accident..

You refer to accidents on other brands but have you had this problem with your own software..??

Regards
Laurie
Laurence Carroll is offline Find More Posts by Laurence Carroll
Old May 05, 2009, 01:34 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Hi Laurie,

Sure, on any subject there will be different opinions. In my view disconnecting main power and swapping the two Motor<>ESC connections presents no safety challenge, nor undue burden.

Anyway, brand doesn't matter. Inadvertantly setting reverse without realizing it is possible with any brand, and has happened with every brand I have sold and supported in the past (Castle, Jeti, Hacker, Hyperion, Scorpion etc).

I sit at a desk that gets 4000+ tech related questions or reports every year, and I've been here for 9 years. That means my perspective is different. For example, many users will report no problem with storing LiPo fully charged, based on their personal experience. Based on my work experience, I'm 99.999% sure that storing fully charged is damaging to LiPo.

So it's just up to pilots to decide if I'm credible in my opinions and, if so, accept that I might have good reasons for decisions like leaving out programmable reverse.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Carroll
Hi Dave,

"We have removed programmable reverse rotation" personally I would prefer to do it there, as swapping connections a couple of times ( disconnecting the battery to make the circuit safe etc.) to get that seems in itself asking for an accident..

You refer to accidents on other brands but have you had this problem with your own software..??

Regards
Laurie
Old May 05, 2009, 08:14 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
I would support removal of programmable reverse rotation on general safety grounds. Last year I had to retire a speed controller (not a Hyperion one) because on two occasions it changed motor direction by itself upon power-up. Once is too many!
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old May 05, 2009, 11:09 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
David,

I was wondering how the work is going on the heli versions of these new motors. I have a couple of applications that I am looking into new motors and really like the older Z series motors. Just for the record, I have a Trex 500 and 600 that are looking for new 6S motors. Any details to share?

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old May 07, 2009, 09:23 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash McCrash
David,
I was wondering how the work is going on the heli versions of these new motors. I have a couple of applications that I am looking into new motors and really like the older Z series motors. Just for the record, I have a Trex 500 and 600 that are looking for new 6S motors. Any details to share?
Mike
Should be out in about 4-6 weeks we expect. Here are some pictures. FYI, the motors are made in co-operation with Scorpion (Hs=HK2). Like the Blue/Silver? I do...

David
Last edited by NipponDave; May 08, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old May 07, 2009, 09:26 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
NipponDave,

Why are you not fitting the new style of bullet connectors to the motors and ESC's, you stated previously that they are far superior .

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old May 07, 2009, 10:06 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,989 Posts
Quote:
Should be out in about 4-6 weeks we expect. Here are some pictures. FYI, the motors are made in co-operation with Scorpion. Like the Blue/Silver? I do...

David
Hi David

What is your opinion regarding connectors for ZS if we compare to new Scorpions connectors (new style).
Are you keeping the old style or adopting the new one ?

Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old May 07, 2009, 11:00 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Should be out in about 4-6 weeks we expect. Here are some pictures. FYI, the motors are made in co-operation with Scorpion. Like the Blue/Silver? I do...

David
Have always liked your blue/silver... Since I bought my first 4020B-14's and put them in a 4Star40, Hyperion Extra 260-40E, Hyperion Katana 63E, Fliton Votec 351... Now I have 2 4035B-16's, a 4025-16... The new ZS Heli motors look great.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash