Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:24 AM
Joined Jun 2008
5 Posts
Atlas 90a esc

Hi Dave,

Just purchased an Atlas 90A ESC (090SB) and retro fitted it to an existing set-up with a ZS4025-14.

I have all my aircraft (both rotary and fixed wing) set-up with a Throttle Hold which works as a master kill switch and prevents inadvertent throttle movement. I also run flight modes on all my aircraft with the following being a standard set-up:

Mode 0 – start up, no idle up.

Mode 1 – standard flight mode with idle up

Mode 2 – 3D rates with idle up.

* Now with all my previous ESC’s I ensure when I connect the battery I have the Throttle Hold ON and Flight Mode 0 selected. I then release the Throttle hold and the throttle becomes active but the motor is NOT turning until I move the throttle or select Flight Mode 1 or 2 (idle up).

Now with the Atlas ESC when I connect the battery with Throttle Hold ON and then release it the motor spools up straight away in Flight Mode 0 and then moving to Flight Mode 1 or 2 increases the RPM again.

If I connect the ESC with Throttle Hold OFF it works as per my previous ESC’s and as I want, ie. NO Motor rotation with Flight Mode 0 selected.

But of course what I want is it to operate as per paragraph *, this is my standard safety procedure that I don’t wish to change.

It would seem to me that the Atlas is “seeing” the entire throttle range increase if the battery is connected with throttle hold on, and the -20 ATV throw of the Throttle Hold is seen as the 0 point and of course when it’s released the throttle moves up the range and hence I get motor rotation when I don’t want it… Am I correct? Can I make it work how I want?

All help appreciated, hope the explanation is understandable lol..

Thanks

jt
sirrocco is offline Find More Posts by sirrocco
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:35 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Just set your throttle hold position to zero, that should fix it.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5 Posts
Dammit Andrew how obvious was that!! You are of course totally right and it works perfectly ¬– Thankyou!!! – I would have looked at that for another 12 months and not seen the obvious.

I was using the -20 as an added safety feature by moving the throttle range further away from the normal operating range and outsmarted myself it would seem!!

Thanks Again

jt
sirrocco is offline Find More Posts by sirrocco
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:41 AM
Darling Downs Qld Australia
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Hi Dave
Do have you any prop data for a HS4035-400kv Hyperion Motor. I want to put one in a sebart Pitts Python with the option of running both 6s and 8s config with a 17x8 prop or a little smaller/larger.

And is this motor ok in a 3d model or does it need better cooling??

On the Spec sheet it has gobs of power and weighs only 30grams more then the Hacker A50-16S 380kv motor they suggest for the model.

Thanks for your time

Nic.

Any one else welcome to chip in if they want.
MR-STI is offline Find More Posts by MR-STI
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:01 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
No, use a Zs series motor. Hs are high Kv by nature of the low magnet count. This makes them VERY efficient at high rpm (as needed by helicopters) trading torque for rpm. However, that also means that the have relatively high Ri per Kv, and relatively poor performance at normal airplane prop speeds (anything less than 12,000 rpm) compared to the 14-magnet Zs motors. You want a high-torque, low-rpm motor. That is Zs...

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-STI View Post
Hi Dave
Do have you any prop data for a HS4035-400kv Hyperion Motor. I want to put one in a sebart Pitts Python with the option of running both 6s and 8s config with a 17x8 prop or a little smaller/larger.

And is this motor ok in a 3d model or does it need better cooling??

On the Spec sheet it has gobs of power and weighs only 30grams more then the Hacker A50-16S 380kv motor they suggest for the model.

Thanks for your time

Nic.

Any one else welcome to chip in if they want.
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Dec 07, 2009, 02:04 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Hi David,

How is progress on the Gs series?

Also, I wanted to thank you/Aircraft World for the speedy service of the Z4026-16 I ordered recently. This was ordered on Wednesday 25/11 and received the following Monday 5 days later - outstanding service from Japan to the UK. FWIW, some brief bench testing showed that this motor gave similar results to the Hacker A50-16S on 6S, I just needed to add a slightly stiffer pitch on the Hyperion to all but match the power. I'll be interested to see how this performs in the air, but looks like a great alternative...

Regards,
Al
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Dec 07, 2009, 02:37 AM
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. And yes that makes perfect sense when you say it like that! glad i asked.

So a Zs4025-14 370kv on 6s and 8s how big of a prop could i swing respectively??.

Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
No, use a Zs series motor. Hs are high Kv by nature of the low magnet count. This makes them VERY efficient at high rpm (as needed by helicopters) trading torque for rpm. However, that also means that the have relatively high Ri per Kv, and relatively poor performance at normal airplane prop speeds (anything less than 12,000 rpm) compared to the 14-magnet Zs motors. You want a high-torque, low-rpm motor. That is Zs...

David
Last edited by MR-STI; Dec 07, 2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 02:51 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,934 Posts
MR-STI, here's a prop data sheet for that motor.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/zs/ZS40propdata.pdf

For 6S, it looks like 14x7 would be about as much as you'd want to go.
maiden-crash is online now Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:07 AM
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Yea thanks i just found the specs as you posted them Looks like i might be wanting a bit much trying to run 6s and 8s from the same motor, just have to decide wich way to go.

Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden-crash View Post
MR-STI, here's a prop data sheet for that motor.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/zs/ZS40propdata.pdf

For 6S, it looks like 14x7 would be about as much as you'd want to go.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 09:48 AM
Joined Aug 2006
246 Posts
David,

What ZS30 series motor would be a good replacement for a Z4020-B motor on 5S lipo powering a 48" wingspan Extreme Flight Jeremey Chinn Yak 55? I am using a APCe 14x7 prop and would like to continue using that if possible.

I was thinking of the ZS3020-10 on 3S lipo, what do you suggest?

Cheers
drstillpatient is offline Find More Posts by drstillpatient
Old Dec 07, 2009, 10:14 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstillpatient View Post
David,

What ZS30 series motor would be a good replacement for a Z4020-B motor on 5S lipo powering a 48" wingspan Extreme Flight Jeremey Chinn Yak 55? I am using a APCe 14x7 prop and would like to continue using that if possible.

Cheers
If I may, the ZS3020-10 isn't a good choice for that plane and prop combo IMO. A ZS4020-* would be a better choice. You could continue to use your existing 5S packs too depending on which one you purchased (Kv).
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:58 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Gs motors are in production and we expect to have at least some done by the Dec 15-20 target date we had. Hopefully all types will be well stocked by Jan 1st at latest.

Cheers,

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrcuk View Post
Hi David,

How is progress on the Gs series?

Also, I wanted to thank you/Aircraft World for the speedy service of the Z4026-16 I ordered recently. This was ordered on Wednesday 25/11 and received the following Monday 5 days later - outstanding service from Japan to the UK. FWIW, some brief bench testing showed that this motor gave similar results to the Hacker A50-16S on 6S, I just needed to add a slightly stiffer pitch on the Hyperion to all but match the power. I'll be interested to see how this performs in the air, but looks like a great alternative...

Regards,
Al
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:05 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
The Zs3025-08 on 3S with 14x7 will peak at 60A~70A depending on the battery pack performance and controller type and settings. That setup has been used by a lot of people with our 40e Extra 260e, so should be quite good with your Yak for a light 3D setup.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstillpatient View Post
David,

Cheers
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:11 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
You could use the Zs4025-14 in the Python on 6S or 8S. On 6S, you would want 16x8 to 17x8 (or 16x10) depending on the pack performance. On 8S you would need to prop down to something around 14x7. That would make it fly like a powerful glow engine, with a pretty wide speed envelope.

If you haven't bought the packs yet, one of our 7S packs may be an ideal way to go for the power-hungry Python, btw...

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-STI View Post
Thanks for the quick response. And yes that makes perfect sense when you say it like that! glad i asked.

So a Zs4025-14 370kv on 6s and 8s how big of a prop could i swing respectively??.

Nic
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:40 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave View Post
The Zs3025-08 on 3S with 14x7 will peak at 60A~70A depending on the battery pack performance and controller type and settings. That setup has been used by a lot of people with our 40e Extra 260e, so should be quite good with your Yak for a light 3D setup.

David
I looked up that airplane before posting. Flying weight is 6.25-6.75 lbs. Are you sure a 3025-08 will be enough? I run a 3025-08 in my pitts with a 12x6 prop on a 4S and pull 80a peak. A 13x8 on a 3S on the same plane pulls close to 90a @ WOT on a Hyperion CX,

I'm usually wrong but, I was just wondering.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2